Switch to Forum Live View Consumer Protection or Extreme Paranoia?
2 years ago  ::  May 24, 2012 - 3:52PM #1
Cesmom
I think this is lose-lose.  Digital marketers will suffer, as will consumers.  I understand the need for consumer protection...keep lead out of my paint...make sure my kids' carseat is safe...but this is going overboard.

On Saturday, a European Union law governing the opting in and out of website cookies will go into effect. The law, often referred to as the E.U. Cookie Directive, was enacted in the name of privacy. However, the impact on the digital industry will be immense and, possibly, damaging.

What's at stake when all cookies in Europe must be opt-in? Poor brand experiences online, even-more-terrible customer experiences, hobbled e-commerce, and the ruin of digital advertising and marketing as we know it.

The law, as it stands, does not consider its impact on the industry. Forcing these requirements on marketers will lead to huge erosion in the quality of web experiences for consumers -- the very constituents it hopes to protect.

When customers opt out of sharing their data, they take away our ability to improve products and services. This law will result in websites becoming, well, dumb again.

adage.com/article/digitalnext/online-pri... 
Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 25, 2012 - 1:01AM #2
Unworthyone

What did marketers do before there were cookies?

OMG! They had to do market research!  They had to work to figure out what their customers liked and didn't like. They had to figure out who their customers were.  It used to be that the customer got to volunteer to participate in surveys or not. And the customer got to decide what information to disclose.

Cookies changed all that.  The cookie allows the marketer to follow his customer around and learn a great deal about him/her with very little effort. And they get to do this without the customer's participation or sometimes even knowledge.

And the worst part?  The marketers not only get to collect all this information but they get to sell it to anyone they want, including people who might decide to use it for nefarious purposes.

I think the 'opt-in' law is a good thing.  I see no reason I need to 'undress' just because I visit a website.  At the very least, someone ought to ask my permission.

I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.  Thomas Jefferson

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
Albert Einstein

You can get anything you want out of life if you will just help enough other people get what they want. Zig Ziglar

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/29/opinion/why-i-m-for-the-brady-bill.html
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 25, 2012 - 9:24AM #3
Cesmom

People are used to 'opt-out', which is a lot different than 'opt-in'.  The old fashioned way really doesn't apply in the digital age.  I think people will change their tune when their online experience becomes more of a hassle than what they are used to, just because they are paranoid about a marketer knowing that they visited amazon.com.

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 25, 2012 - 5:16PM #4
Druac

Cookies are not just used for marketers to track people's online behaviors...they are also used for the user's convenience, for saving login states, passing information along between related sites, etc. This will impact far more than just the marketers that use them.

Jesus Is My Savior...He Saves Me From REALITY!
---------------------------------------------
We created god in our own image and likeness!
[George Carlin]
---------------------------------------------
"Reason & Logic" - A Damn Good Slogan!
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 28, 2012 - 1:24PM #5
christzen

Yes this will make lif a little more inconvenient for web users.But the companies have created this problem themselves with their invasion of consumer's privacy and then selling this info for profit.

Locks on the doors of your house,having to enable and disable alarm systems if you have them,locks and other antitheft devices on your car, all make it a little more inconvenient than simply walking up to your house and twisting a door knob, plus having to keep up with and carry all those keys But they are there because the actions of other have made them necessary.Same with antivirus,adware and other such  programs for your computer.

Investigate what Google has been up to in the UK and you understand their paranoia on this.

news.yahoo.com/googles-privacy-woes-uk-a...

On a side note, a friend of mine just got a job selling life ins. They gave him a device for his car which allows him to simply drive around neighborhoods and it goes off when he nears a house with people over 55 (his target range) and gives him the address of which door to go knock on.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook