Post Reply
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Violent Anti-African riot breaks out in Tel Aviv
3 years ago  ::  May 24, 2012 - 12:35PM #1
ted08721
Posts: 3,776
Not only to Palestinians but to others

peacenow.org/entries/apn_and_peace_now_f...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 24, 2012 - 1:21PM #2
SherriMunnerlyn
Posts: 7,519

Ted, I read about this violence against African migrants this morning, I read about how two dark skinned men were drug from their car and attacked, who claim they are not even African. 


Sherri

Moderated by Stardove on May 24, 2012 - 05:04PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 24, 2012 - 1:28PM #3
Miraj
Posts: 5,021

Title edited to be less provocative.

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.


PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 24, 2012 - 1:32PM #4
Miraj
Posts: 5,021

The ongoing unrest in Tel Aviv over a number of things, gay pride, housing costs, immigration, are very concerning, for sure. 


Israeli anti-immigration riots hit African neighbourhood of Tel Aviv


Tel Aviv has been hit by the most violent protests in its recent history after more than 1,000 Israelis took to the streets in the city's south to demand the deportation of African immigrants and asylum seekers.



4:08PM BST 24 May 2012


The predominately black neighbourhood of Hatikva was ransacked by groups of nationalist protesters who had attended a demonstration on Wednesday night against illegal African migrants.


The protesters claim the Africans are responsible for a rise in crime, bearing signs saying "This is not Africa" and "Stop talking, start expelling".


"Blacks out!" shouted demonstrators in the crowd, while others yelled "Send the Sudanese back to Sudan", as other protesters derided the "bleeding-heart leftists" working to help them.


The mob set cans of rubbish on fire, smashed the windows of shops owned by Eritrean migrants and beat up Africans walking through the streets.


TJ, a 29-year-old migrant from Nigeria, watched the violent chaos from his rooftop having been chased and pelted with rocks when he attempted to leave his house.


Continued at the link.

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.


PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 24, 2012 - 2:03PM #5
vra
Posts: 6,407

Well, there's no doubt some racism in Israel, which we do admit.  But let me ask a question here: are Spain, France, Germany, and Italy racists because they also have had anti-immigrant protests?  Are Jordan, Lebanon, and Iran "racist" because they have had anti-Jewish rallies?  How about the textbooks for kids put out by the governments throughout much of the M.E. that have demonized Jews? 


Maybe these other countries should be cleaning up their own act as well.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 24, 2012 - 2:49PM #6
BDboy
Posts: 6,215

May 24, 2012 -- 2:03PM, vra wrote:


Well, there's no doubt some racism in Israel, which we do admit.  But let me ask a question here: are Spain, France, Germany, and Italy racists because they also have had anti-immigrant protests?  Are Jordan, Lebanon, and Iran "racist" because they have had anti-Jewish rallies?  How about the textbooks for kids put out by the governments throughout much of the M.E. that have demonized Jews? 


Maybe these other countries should be cleaning up their own act as well.




 


>>>>>>>> I think you made a valid point about countries other than Israel. BUT there is no buts!!


The topic is about Israel and you can comment on it. A little more than, there are racism in Israel against dark skinned people. Which is a sickness brought by European immigrants who came to Israel recently (Primarity from Eastern Europe and Russia).


Local Jews and non_Jews do not have any big problem that cannot be solved. These "Forign Jews" are making things harder than what it needs to be for Jews and non-Jews in Israel.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 24, 2012 - 4:45PM #7
vra
Posts: 6,407

May 24, 2012 -- 2:49PM, BDboy wrote:


May 24, 2012 -- 2:03PM, vra wrote:


Well, there's no doubt some racism in Israel, which we do admit.  But let me ask a question here: are Spain, France, Germany, and Italy racists because they also have had anti-immigrant protests?  Are Jordan, Lebanon, and Iran "racist" because they have had anti-Jewish rallies?  How about the textbooks for kids put out by the governments throughout much of the M.E. that have demonized Jews? 


Maybe these other countries should be cleaning up their own act as well.




 


>>>>>>>> I think you made a valid point about countries other than Israel. BUT there is no buts!!


The topic is about Israel and you can comment on it. A little more than, there are racism in Israel against dark skinned people. Which is a sickness brought by European immigrants who came to Israel recently (Primarity from Eastern Europe and Russia).


Local Jews and non_Jews do not have any big problem that cannot be solved. These "Forign Jews" are making things harder than what it needs to be for Jews and non-Jews in Israel.




But you are the one who has failed to cite these other examples, and this is by not means the only thread you have done this on.  I don't come on this forum very often, but it's been abundantly clear in the posts that you have written that you have no interest in objectivity.  Instead, your rants go on and on about Israel while the others get a free ride.  Sorry, but double standards are double standards.  Racial/nationality prejudice is found in most locations in the world, so to just jump on Israel's situation without even mentioning the others in passing is very disingenuous.



 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 24, 2012 - 5:43PM #8
SherriMunnerlyn
Posts: 7,519

Here are headlines today, one day of stories, in Haaretz, all about Racism against nonJews in Israel, I do not think I am even including all of the stories of the day reporting on racism inside Israel  it is so prevalent and so a part of who Israel is today.


 


Interior Minister: We will fine mayors who employ African migrants


Eli Yishai tells Israel's Channel 2 news: Fines will make ciy mayors hire Israelis; more than 1,100 people signed a letter petitioning Attorney General for legal action against MKs in anti-migrant rally


www.haaretz.com/news/national/interior-m...



How a Tel Aviv anti-migrant protest spiraled out of control


Haaretz writer Ilan Lior describes how he narrowly escaped an encounter with a violent mob during a protest against African migrants in south Tel Aviv's Hatikva neighborhood


www.haaretz.com/news/national/how-a-tel-...



Residents, right-wing activists protest Tel Aviv presence of migrant workers


Far-right activists organize march through Tel Aviv, call for expulsion of Sudanese and other Africans from Israel


www.haaretz.com/news/national/residents-...


 


Amnesty International: Israel frequently uses excessive force against Palestinians


Annual report for 2012 says Israel killed 55 civilians in the West Bank and Gaza, including 11 children.


www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/a...


 


Day after violent anti-African protest, Likud MK calls to 'distance infiltrators' immediately


Police extends remand of 17 Israeli protesters arrested during rally for attacking African asylum seekers; Danny Dannon calls to remove African migrants from city centers


 www.haaretz.com/news/national/day-after-...



U.S. criticizes Israel's treatment of African migrants in annual human rights report


Report quotes statistics provided by the UNHCR, showing that during the year out of 4,603 new asylum applications 3,692 were rejected. Only one was approved


www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/u...


 


Attorney General against prosecuting authors of book justifying killing of non-Jews


Authors describe book as discussion of Jewish law on the conditions under which it is permissible to kill a non-Jew in times of war and peace.



 


 


 


Sherri

Moderated by Merope on May 24, 2012 - 09:23PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 24, 2012 - 5:49PM #9
Miraj
Posts: 5,021

May 24, 2012 -- 4:45PM, vra wrote:


But you are the one who has failed to cite these other examples, and this is by not means the only thread you have done this on.  I don't come on this forum very often, but it's been abundantly clear in the posts that you have written that you have no interest in objectivity.  Instead, your rants go on and on about Israel while the others get a free ride.  Sorry, but double standards are double standards.  Racial/nationality prejudice is found in most locations in the world, so to just jump on Israel's situation without even mentioning the others in passing is very disingenuous.




I'm curious about why, when there is criticism directed at Israel, we are somehow mandated to also criticise some other country or countries or have a track record of doing so.  Why is this? When I criticise the US (does that count?), I'm not expected to criticize some other country or to compare it to some place considered to be not as nice.


I'm not saying that the criticism is always fair, but it is allowed.  So, why can't we just talk about Israel when the subject is Israel?

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.


PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 24, 2012 - 6:08PM #10
Shusha
Posts: 4,736

I'm curious about why, when there is criticism directed at Israel, we are somehow mandated to also criticise some other country or countries or have a track record of doing so.  Why is this?




1.  Israel is consistently being held to an unrealistically high standard when compared to other countries.


2.  Anti-Israel posters are consistently ignore or fail to comment on far worse behaviour in other countries. 


3.  Pro-Israel posters consistently admit the flaws in Israel, but seem to go unheard when they do so.


4.  Anti-Israel posters consistently use terminology which is offensive, exaggerated or blatantly false (the original title of this thread is an excellent example)



A riot in Canada does not mean all Canadians or Canadian government policies are racist.




Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook