Switch to Forum Live View Emiratis and Camel's Milk Lattes - 'I'm Lovin' It!'
2 years ago  ::  May 23, 2012 - 3:15PM #1
Merope

In a Dubai café, patrons sip camel’s-milk lattes, "camel-ccinos", and shakes made with camel’s milk.  The newly-opened Cafe2Go is one of the first to put camel’s milk on its menu, and it seems to be passing the taste test with intrigued customers.

"I'm surprised because I was thinking it was tasting really different from the normal milk, but ... it's really nice," said one customer.  "I thought it would be weird when I tried it, but it's just like everything else," said another.

And a few years ago, one company began producing camel’s-milk chocolate.  It, too, was a hit.

According to CNN, these are signs of a boom in camel’s-milk products in the UAE.

Camel’s milk has been a staple for Bedouins for centuries, but it has never before been produced in scale or used commercially in this way.  For Emiratis, it is a way of combining local pride with a healthy option.  According to the linked article, camel’s milk is lower in fat and higher in Vitamin C than cow's milk.  And it's not just being used in coffee and chocolate:  Camel’s-milk cheese is available, as is "Camelicious" - bottled camel’s milk sold in supermarkets and sometimes flavored with date or chocolate.

These goods are produced by Emirates Industry for Camel Milk and Products, one of the world's first large-scale camel’s milk farms.  The farm is based in the desert outside Dubai.  As the farm manager observes, "We are converting the culture to commercial."  The farm has thousands of camels, each giving about six liters of milk a day.  Demand is so high that the farm is struggling to keep up.

Both Emirates Industry for Camel Milk and Products and Al Nassma Chocolate receive funding from Dubai's ruling sheikhs, who are motivated as much by the desire to promote a healthy product as by profit.  In future, they hope to see camel’s milk products on sale well beyond the shores of the UAE.

Anyone ever had one of these products?

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 23, 2012 - 3:28PM #2
LeahOne

No, but it sounds like a good idea....... : ))

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 23, 2012 - 3:46PM #3
Merope

May 23, 2012 -- 3:28PM, LeahOne wrote:

No, but it sounds like a good idea....... : ))

Me, neither.  And me, too :-)

Word of mouth on the web (Yelp, etc.) says Al Nassma's camel's milk chocolate bar is available in San Francisco at Chocolate Covered.  Apparently it's been available there for a few years.   

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 23, 2012 - 4:37PM #4
rocketjsquirell

Me neither and ummm no thank you

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 24, 2012 - 7:08AM #5
habesor

I've had camel's milk but what I really liked was ice cream made from camel's milk.  

Habesor

Habesor
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 24, 2012 - 3:13PM #6
BDboy

Seems like a good idea to me.

I think I tried it a long time ago. Don't remember much.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 24, 2012 - 7:09PM #7
Miraj

Ah, Dubai!  :sigh:

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 24, 2012 - 11:35PM #8
rangerken

My daughter happens to be working in Abu Dhabi, teaching Arab children English...for a LOT of money! She likes the job and says the country is Ok but she'll be happy when her contract is up and she comes home...a lot richer...LOL.

Becuase the emirates want western investment and, more important, western expertise, they have enclaves in which westerners can live and play without worrying about how they dress. My daughter does NOT...repeat...NOT have to wear Arab clothing at work but she is expected to dress modestly, meaning a long skirt and no sleeveless shirts. But she is able to play on a womens rugby team that egularly travels to play similar western women's teams in Kuwait, Jordan, South Africa, Bahrain, Italy, etc...but of coursse NEVER Saudi Arabia...DUH.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook