Page 27 of 27  •  Prev 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27
Switch to Forum Live View Marriage as a legal contract
2 years ago  ::  May 31, 2012 - 9:36PM #261
Bodean

May 31, 2012 -- 11:36AM, christzen wrote:

May 31, 2012 -- 11:04AM, Bodean wrote:

Hey man .. I'm just citing the data.

You are wrong on Leftist and divorce.  As was discussed earlier, Leftist decieve people by making the claim that the lower "number" PER THOUSAND POPULATION divorces is indicative of a lower divorce rate.  HOWEVER .. as I pointed out earlier .. When the Data are nomalized to take into account the Lower Marriage Rate ... ie., Divorces/1000 Marriages, Lestist States and Nations fall from grace.  [this deception is just another front on the Attack on Marriage orchestrated by the LEFT .. in an attempt to demonize Conservatives].

Actually I'm not.Using actual marriages and divorces for just two states that I have time to deal with now,Ark and Mass, you come up with a divorce rate per marriages of 59% for Ark and 39% for Mass.These numbers have nothing to do with divorce per population,but are the failure rates of actual marriages in each state.

Sorry, you're still wrong.

and ... unfortunately for you .. I"ve done the numbers for ALL the states ... and recognize that a) your number for AR is wrong ... it is 53% .... and b) .. you picked one of the worst conservative states, and compared it to one of only TWO liberal states that are anomolies .. the other being Iowa.  I'll have to go back in this thread, because I think it was on this thread early on that I posted that data, comparing several liberal states with conservative states.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 31, 2012 - 10:01PM #262
Bodean

May 31, 2012 -- 11:36AM, christzen wrote:

May 31, 2012 -- 11:04AM, Bodean wrote:

Hey man .. I'm just citing the data.

You are wrong on Leftist and divorce.  As was discussed earlier, Leftist decieve people by making the claim that the lower "number" PER THOUSAND POPULATION divorces is indicative of a lower divorce rate.  HOWEVER .. as I pointed out earlier .. When the Data are nomalized to take into account the Lower Marriage Rate ... ie., Divorces/1000 Marriages, Lestist States and Nations fall from grace.  [this deception is just another front on the Attack on Marriage orchestrated by the LEFT .. in an attempt to demonize Conservatives].

Actually I'm not.Using actual marriages and divorces for just two states that I have time to deal with now,Ark and Mass, you come up with a divorce rate per marriages of 59% for Ark and 39% for Mass.These numbers have nothing to do with divorce per population,but are the failure rates of actual marriages in each state.

Sorry, you're still wrong.

....ah yes ...

Post 149 of the "Writing on the Wall Thread" ......

Liberal Media and Liberal Academia has tried to distort the issue by making claims that the "divorce rate" in NE liberal states is lower than that of the South.  The Demographer of one of the studies, however, sets the record straight.

"Divorce rates tend to be higher in the South because marriage rates are also higher in the South," Diana Elliott, a family demographer at the Census Bureau, said in a statement. "In contrast, in the Northeast, first marriages tend to be delayed and the marriage rates are lower, meaning there are also fewer divorces."

The "divorce rate" is expressed as divorces per 1000 [total population], not divorce per 1000 marriages.  Thus, when normalizing the figures to marriages, [Divorces/1000 / Marriages/1000] the numbers are near identical, with variations being attributable to racial demographics, and levels of education.  Thus, in the deceiving comparison between Main and AR, you get 4.1/1000 vs 5.7/1000, making it seem as if Main, a Liberal State is better on Divorce.  But when you normalize the numbers to divorce/marriage, the real values show a different story, Maine [56% divorce rate] to AR [53% divorce rate].  Same holds for Conneticut [3.1] and GA [3.3], ,  when correctly calculated, it is Conneticut [51%] to GA [48%].  Likewise, MA falls from it's esteemed #1, and actuall ties the very conservative and religious South Carolina at 40% Divorce rate each.  Only Iowa beats those two at 34%. [excluding Hawaii and Nevada, as those are marriage hubs for people across the world]

These are the real numbers based on Divorses per 1000 marriages ... and you liberal states are no better than the Conservative States.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 31, 2012 - 10:41PM #263
christzen

May 31, 2012 -- 10:01PM, Bodean wrote:

These are the real numbers based on Divorses per 1000 marriages ... and you liberal states are no better than the Conservative States.

Actually the liberal states do do better.If ,for example,you take the top % of states that voted for McCain as red states,and the top % that voted for Obama as blue states,throw out the anomolies in the blue states (CA,which draws weirdos from all over the US,and has a 74% divorce rate,and Hawaii,which has only a 21% divorce rate because of high vacation marriages) , the top ten red states average a divorce rate per 1000 marriages of 56% while the top ten blue states average 50%.

Another way is to look at it geographically,the solid red south vs the solid blue northeast.The southern states of LA,AL,MS,GA,SC,NC,and TN have an average divorce rate per 1000 marriages of 55%.The northeast states of ME,VT,NH,MA,RI,CT,and NY have an average of 50%.

In neither scenario do the blue states crush the red states,but they consistently do slightly better.But what we repeatedly hear from conservatives is how the red states are the ones who have the family values,value marriage,etc,etc, while the blue states just want to shack up,destroy marriage,destroy society,blah,blah,blah.Now suddenly it's "well,the liberal states don't do any better than the red states".They do slightly,but at least the "lefties" there have gone from being the source of all evil to just not being any better than conservatives. 

LOL.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2012 - 9:14AM #264
Fodaoson

It seems that marriage legally is now defined a commitment between two people not dependent on gender .

Federal appeals court rules against gay marriage ban

By David Gibson| Religion News Service, Published: May 31.2012

In its unanimous ruling, the three-judge panel said the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act, or DOMA, deprives same-sex couples the same rights and privileges granted to heterosexual couples.

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2012 - 9:51AM #265
TENAC
On to the SCOTUS.  With the Obama admin's DOJ choices for solicitor's,  I like our chances.
Any man can count the seeds in an apple....
.......but only God can count the apples in the seeds.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2012 - 8:40PM #266
Bodean

May 31, 2012 -- 10:41PM, christzen wrote:

Actually the liberal states do do better.If ,for example,you take the top % of states that voted for McCain as red states,and the top % that voted for Obama as blue states,throw out the anomolies in the blue states (CA,which draws weirdos from all over the US,and has a 74% divorce rate,and Hawaii,which has only a 21% divorce rate because of high vacation marriages) , the top ten red states average a divorce rate per 1000 marriages of 56% while the top ten blue states average 50%.

Another way is to look at it geographically,the solid red south vs the solid blue northeast.The southern states of LA,AL,MS,GA,SC,NC,and TN have an average divorce rate per 1000 marriages of 55%.The northeast states of ME,VT,NH,MA,RI,CT,and NY have an average of 50%.

In neither scenario do the blue states crush the red states,but they consistently do slightly better.But what we repeatedly hear from conservatives is how the red states are the ones who have the family values,value marriage,etc,etc, while the blue states just want to shack up,destroy marriage,destroy society,blah,blah,blah.Now suddenly it's "well,the liberal states don't do any better than the red states".They do slightly,but at least the "lefties" there have gone from being the source of all evil to just not being any better than conservatives. 

LOL.

Zen .. I'll have to go back and check your numbers.  Afterall, you had AR at 59% .. as opposed to 53%.

I'm guessing, you used 59% for AR in your "average".  Granted, the South does have MS.  Mississippi stinks by all measures. .. but then ... it's MS.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2012 - 9:03PM #267
Do_unto_others

Jun 1, 2012 -- 8:40PM, Bodean wrote:

I'm guessing, you used 59% for AR in your "average".  Granted, the South does have MS.  Mississippi stinks by all measures. .. but then ... it's MS.

That kind of talk could get you sued if you was a governor of another state who shall remain anonymous.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2012 - 10:34AM #268
christzen

May 31, 2012 -- 10:41PM, christzen wrote:

LOL.

Zen .. I'll have to go back and check your numbers.  Afterall, you had AR at 59% .. as opposed to 53%.

No,I had AR in at 52.7 %, which you rounded to 53,so I actually have them lower than you. I actually didn't include them in the South scenario for some reason.Add them in and the South then averages 54.5% to the northeast 49.7%.

Don't know what happened with AR the first time.Probably used the numbers per 1000 of a site that had different numbers.These are from the government CDC site for  both divorces and marriages.

Again,the libs don't kill the conservatives,but they do beat them some.A landslide by POTUS election standards actually.But it does give lie to the claim that libs devalue and destroy marriage while the pure heart of family values lies in the conservative side of the spectrum

And we haven't even discussed the "family values" of the South regarding out of wedlock births as a % of all births,where once again the red states of the South lead the way in out of wedlock births, as well as births to mothers under the age of 20.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2012 - 10:36AM #269
christzen

Reminds me of a pseudo slogan for Alabama I saw on a bumper sticker once.

"Alabama. At least we're not Mississippi"

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2012 - 12:48PM #270
Do_unto_others

Jun 2, 2012 -- 10:36AM, christzen wrote:

Reminds me of a pseudo slogan for Alabama I saw on a bumper sticker once.

"Alabama. At least we're not Mississippi"

When the planes land in Tuscaloosa, the flight attendants announce, "Welcome to Alabama. Please set your watches back - 33 years!"*

* Thirty-three years is how long it took for Alabackwards to remove its anti-miscegenation laws from the books after the 1967 Loving v. Virginia decision. (Oh how full that 'faith & credit', eh?)

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 27 of 27  •  Prev 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook