2 years ago  ::  May 20, 2012 - 11:17PM #1
solfeggio
Using a laser, Chinese engineers at the University of Science and Technology in Shanghai have transported photons across a lake in China.  Whilst this isn't really the same thing as we saw in 'Star Trek,' it does pave the way for instant data transfers that cannot be hacked or intercepted.

www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-tech/scien...

arxiv.org/abs/1205.2024

In this process, photon transmits its quantum state to another photon, which becomes a clone of the original.

A photon is a discrete particle having zero mass, no electric charge, and an indefinitely long lifetime.  And quantum state is the condition in which a physical system exists.   
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 21, 2012 - 2:55PM #2
mainecaptain

May 20, 2012 -- 11:17PM, solfeggio wrote:

Using a laser, Chinese engineers at the University of Science and Technology in Shanghai have transported photons across a lake in China.  Whilst this isn't really the same thing as we saw in 'Star Trek,' it does pave the way for instant data transfers that cannot be hacked or intercepted.

www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-tech/scien...

arxiv.org/abs/1205.2024

In this process, photon transmits its quantum state to another photon, which becomes a clone of the original.

A photon is a discrete particle having zero mass, no electric charge, and an indefinitely long lifetime.  And quantum state is the condition in which a physical system exists.   

Interesting, kind of spooky. I do like the idea that it can not be hacked or intercepted though. :))

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 21, 2012 - 8:28PM #3
REteach

I have an old crank phone on my wall that I got from my dad.  I also have an iPhone.  

My MIL rode to school in winter in a horse drawn sleigh. My dad remembers as a kid getting electric lights and turning them off and on and off and on. I was sitting at the airport Friday listening to a song from The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly on my iPod and happened to look up at the sun sinking behind the planes and thought that they are the horses of our time.  

I wonder what my grandkids will marvel at from my childhood.  How far we have come since the Royal Society was founded 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 23, 2012 - 1:30PM #4
mindis1

I found it interesting that because of the “ultra-bright multi-photon entanglement” thing--whatever that is--the noise in photon detection with this method mainly depends on the position of the moon.

Anyway, assuming that the standard method of non-spoken communication is eventually by quantum teleportation (isn’t that what everyone assumes?), then it spells the end of government eavesdropping. But eavesdropping by governments is big business these days. So will governments try to restrict access to quantum teleported communication methods? If so, how?

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook