Page 12 of 12  •  Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12
Switch to Forum Live View Palestinian Christians speaking for themselves....
2 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2012 - 2:24AM #111
habesor

Miraj,

I think that the idea is to move Bedouin communities as communities into areas where they can acquire housing and legal land ownership and government services, while maintaining their own community structure. Calling this a Bantustan is not only a misapplication of the term but does nothing to enlighten the reader about the Bedouin situation in Israel, or in Jordan and other places in the Middle East wrestling with problems of modernization. 

That there are upwards of 1000 or more Bedouin families living in Jewish neighborhoods in the city of Be'er Sheva, there are no Bedouin neighborhoods, should be testimony against the idea that Israel is setting up Bantustans or an apartheid regime for the Bedouins. But I suppose the next Guardian article will be about these city dwelling Bedouin and how Israel is destroying the desert Bedouin culture with which the previously quoted Guardian article was so entralled.

(Just as an aside, I wonder what the Guardian would have to say about the Bedouin fisherman living in villages along the Red Sea and Gulf of Eilat coasts. The image of Bedouins setting sail could not be farther from that of a desert dweller on camel back.) 

Miraj, if you want to talk about what the Israeli government should be doing now for the Bedouin or should have been doing for the past 64 years, that is not only legitimate, but there is plenty to talk about and criticize. But if this is to be the topic then I suggest that we stick to the reality of the situation rather than misapplying concepts from other issues or relying on sources like Rudolph Valentino's "The Sheik" to understand the rather complex situation within Israel's Bedouin population.

Habesor 

Habesor
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2012 - 2:25AM #112
habesor

Miraj,

PS - The Rudolph Valentino comment was not directed at you but rather at the author of the Guardian article.

Habesor

Habesor
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2012 - 11:02AM #113
SherriMunnerlyn

Palestinian Christians Respond to Israeli Ambassador Michael Oren

Palestinian Christians Respond to Israeli Ambassador Michael Oren

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdaWyFVKy4A

They say Michael Oren does not speak the truth about Palestinian Christians, when he says Christians leave because of Islamic extremism.

"It's a complete lie." "It's ridiculous, really for them to continue to try to put a wedge between the Palestinian community." They leave for the same reasons the Muslims leave, their duress is the same, they leave because of Occupation policies, that are "slow and marginal ethnic cleansing policies." They speak of house demolitions, deportations that effect all Palestinians.

And what do they all agree upon, that the Occupation is what makes life difficult and why they leave!

One man describes that Palestinians lives are much the same in his village, they have the same culture, whether they be Christian or Muslim, the only difference one would see in their lives separating them from one another, is the day they go to pray.

Sherri

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2012 - 12:43PM #114
LeahOne

Since the 'Palestinian Christians' in the video are unidentified, one has no idea if they are memebrs of HAMAS or PIJ or some other group opposed to the existance of Israel in any form.

I suspect they are such, as the one young woman is wearing a pendant depicting 'Israel' and 'Gaza' and the 'WB' altogether.  

Of course they are free to disagree with Oren's opinion, and they indeed cite their 'reasons'.  However, if these Christian Palestinians

But that's a far cry from claiming he 'lied' - which is prejudicial and inflammatory.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2012 - 6:18PM #115
SherriMunnerlyn

Palestinian Christians, when they speak out, they all disclose Michael Oren to be a liar, spinning lies about Palestinian Christians, in lying interviews and lying articles.

We have not seen one single solitary Palestinian Christian come forward and agree with him, not one, and that tells all of us everything we could ever need to know about  the liar who Micheal Oren is, the man who lacks integrity and the ability to speak truth about Palestinian Christians.

Sherri

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2012 - 6:44PM #116
SherriMunnerlyn

Palestine’s Christians Support Labeling Israeli Settlement Products

BETHLEHEM, June 2, 2012 – Palestine’s Christians expressed support for decisions by the governments of South Africa and Denmark, as well as from Switzerland’s largest retail chain Migros, to distinguish products made in the illegal West Bank settlements from those made in Israel, a statement by Kairos Palestine said on Friday.

South Africa, Denmark and Migros retail stores decided that products coming from the settlements should have clear labels on them stating where they have originated from to allow buyers to distinguish their origins. Israel has strongly objected to these decisions.

Describing the decisions as “historic,” Kairos Palestine, a group of Palestinian Christians who authored in 2009 the document “A Moment of Truth,” said, “We believe that this decision is a positive step into the right direction and we hope more countries and companies will follow this initiative.”

It said that “this decision is a clear statement, that the Israeli occupation and its settlements, both in East Jerusalem and the West Bank, are illegal under international law.”

english.wafa.ps/index.php?action=detail&...

Their numbers may be in decline, because of Israel's continuing unlawful ethnic cleansing operations, but that is not stopping them from speaking out against the unholy and unjust and unlawful Israeli Occupation of Palestine.

Sherri

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2012 - 7:01PM #117
SherriMunnerlyn

These are words written by a Palestinian Christian this past Christmas, about the Arab Spring, words filled with hope for Arab Christians, for those who remain steadfast and who focus on Jesus.

"But the good news is that the democratic process is still gathering momentum in the Arab world. This will in time lead to reform across the board. It will also lead to evolving secular parties that will call for freedom of religion.

I believe a new culture of democracy and freedom will eventually arrive. But the questions remain: What will the cost to Arab Christians be? Will they have the strength to stand steadfast as living witnesses until the Arab countries exercise true democracy? In the midst of the darkness, the angel asked the shepherds not to fear. After meeting the baby Jesus in the manger, the shepherds who had feared earlier rejoiced and glorified God.

Will Arab Christians do the same and by focusing on Jesus so their fear be transformed to joy?

They will, but hopefully not alone. At Christmas, the whole earth rejoices.

Botrus Mansour, author of "When Your Neighbor is The Savior," is general director of the Nazareth Baptist School."

Sherri
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2012 - 7:15PM #118
SherriMunnerlyn

Another Palestinian Christian voice explaining why Christians leave, a letter to an Archbishop who had blamed Muslim extremism for declining Christians throughout Middle East. He places primary blame on Jewish extremist settlers supported by the Isreali government and Western Zionist Christians.

www.fosna.org/content/naim-ateek-letter-...

Moderated by rangerken on Jun 04, 2012 - 09:35AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2012 - 8:16PM #119
SherriMunnerlyn

Christian Leader Sets the Record Straight about Muslims and Non-Violence

Sami Awad, the Executive Director of the Holy Land Trust in Bethlehem, has just penned an inspiring Op-Ed in the Huffington Post titled, Palestinian Nonviolence: Muslims, not Christians, are the Leaders.

One of the first and immediate questions I get from foreign visitors to my office in Bethlehem is, “What you said is good, but what about the Muslims? Do they also believe in nonviolence? Do they understand it?” Even if I don’t mention religion in my presentation — and I rarely do — this question always seems to make its way in our discussions.

Awad, a Palestinian Christian, responds by explaining that Palestinian Muslims don’t just understand non-violent resistance, they are also primary leaders of it:

The men and women organizing the protests each week in villages where land is being confiscated and the separation wall is being built, chaining themselves to olive trees so they don’t get uprooted and laying in front of bulldozers are Muslims. When we organize protests that fall on Christian holidays, like an Easter protest or the Palm Sunday march to Jerusalem, 90 percent of the protestors were Muslims, standing in solidarity with the rights of the Christian brothers and sisters to pray in Jerusalem. Many Muslims, some of whom are my closest friends, like Basim and Naji Tamimi from a small village called Nabi Saleh whom I have worked with and trained with for years, are now locked up in Israeli prisons because of their nonviolent actions.

More importantly, Awad, says, is the fact that members of the popular resistance to Israeli occupation are not thinking in terms of Muslim, Christian, or even Jewish, at all:

When it comes to how we live with each other and how the Israeli occupation treats us, there is actual agreement: We are all the same; we are “Palestinians.” I have never gone to a nonviolent demonstration and counted how many Christians and how many Muslims were there. I have never helped this family and not that because of their faith. Christian and Muslim farmers have had their olive trees uprooted and their fields burned by settlers, Christian and Muslim homes have been destroyed by Israeli military bulldozers. Christians and Muslims have been killed, injured or arrested by the Israeli military. The walls and fences surround Christian cities like Bethlehem and have confiscated hundreds of acres that belong to Christian and Muslim families

theosarsephreport.com/2011/07/28/christi...

Awad speaks of being proud that in the Palestinian community, religious identity remains a sacred space, and that it brings him the greatest joy to see Palestinians  to see Palestinians (Christians and Muslims) deeply engaged and committed to nonviolence. And it further gives him even greater pleasure to see the growing number of Israeli Jews join them hand in hand in their nonviolent struggle for justice.

Sherri

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 12 of 12  •  Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook