Page 2 of 8  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View IOC rejects petition for moment of silence for Israeli Athletes Slain in Munich
2 years ago  ::  May 23, 2012 - 1:48PM #11
SherriMunnerlyn

May 23, 2012 -- 1:40PM, LeahOne wrote:

Sherri, I do not think you've understood what I was asking for in terms of a 'principle'.  By 'principle', I meant a statement derived from logic which can be applied (as I tried to illustrate) to any possible variant of the situation.  The 'precedent' has nothing to do with religion or nationality or politics, but ONLY with the Games.

In this case, the 'situation' never was so broad as "all unlawful deaths" - but specifically "murders AT the Olympic Games".

The reason TO have a MOS is that "murders at the Olympic Games" was a desecration of the intent and purpose of the Games, and of their entire history.  IMHO, to have a MOS now would be to re-dedicate ourselves collectively to the Olympic ideal of peaceful competition - and I just can't see that as a negative. 

Your posts appear to me to be to be addressing some other topic entirely.

Leah,

All I can do is explain the reasons for my opinions, if you cannot or do not not wish to understand my point of view, there is little I can do about all of that.

Sherri

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 23, 2012 - 1:57PM #12
Shusha

Sherri,

Leah is spot on.  This has to do with murdered Olympic athletes. 

Moderated by Merope on May 23, 2012 - 04:51PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 23, 2012 - 2:04PM #13
LeahOne

Oh, I understand the POV that what one does is based in religious beliefs:  I share it.

But that is only appropriate for members of a religion.  The IOC, on the other hand, is an organization representing athletes form all over the world - and it cannot and should not derive its rationale from any one religion (although I believe the concept that 'we are all children of the same Creator is *close to* universal).

So religion-based beliefs are not an appropriate basis for the IOC - which is also a NON religious organization.

That is why I was asking for a 'principle' - because we're more in the area of 'law' than of 'religion'.  I hope that you can understand what I'm asking about now.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 23, 2012 - 3:29PM #14
Merope

May 23, 2012 -- 1:57PM, Shusha wrote:

Sherri,

Agreed. 

A moment of silence at the Olympics in commemoration of an athlete is not unprecedented.  At the 2010 Winter Olympics, a moment of silence was held during the opening ceremonies for Nodar Kumaritashvili, the Georgian luger (and member of Georgia's Olympic luge team) who died during a training run on the day of the opening ceremonies.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 23, 2012 - 3:50PM #15
SherriMunnerlyn

Sherri,

Shusha,

We see it from different perspectives.

These athletes are not the only murdered people in our world.

Sherri

Moderated by Merope on May 23, 2012 - 04:52PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 23, 2012 - 4:11PM #16
Shusha

Sherri,

The reason for the MOS is to honor and remember slain Olympic athletes. 

This is also not about other unlawful deaths in the world.  Nor is it about special recognition for any group of people.  It is about 11 specific deaths that are directly related to the Olympics.

Moderated by Merope on May 23, 2012 - 04:37PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 23, 2012 - 4:53PM #17
SherriMunnerlyn

May 23, 2012 -- 4:11PM, Shusha wrote:

Sherri,

The reason for the MOS is to honor and remember slain Olympic athletes. 

This is also not about other unlawful deaths in the world.  Nor is it about special recognition for any group of people.  It is about 11 specific deaths that are directly related to the Olympics.

Shusha,

They were not murdered last year, it was many years ago, so there is no reason for a moment of silence for them at these athletic Olympic ceremonies in the year 2012. There are many other victims of murder, millions of victims of murder since these 11 were murdered. 

I think it is time people got over their deaths, it is time to get on with life.

Sherri

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 23, 2012 - 5:00PM #18
SherriMunnerlyn

May 23, 2012 -- 3:29PM, Merope wrote:

Sherri,

Agreed. 

A moment of silence at the Olympics in commemoration of an athlete is not unprecedented.  At the 2010 Winter Olympics, a moment of silence was held during the opening ceremonies for Nodar Kumaritashvili, the Georgian luger (and member of Georgia's Olympic luge team) who died during a training run on the day of the opening ceremonies.

Merope,

There is a difference in having a moment of silence for an athlete that has just died on the day of the opening ceremonies and a moment of silence for athletes who died 40 years ago.

We do not worship our dead, or I did not think we did anyway.

Sherri

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 23, 2012 - 5:04PM #19
Mlyons619

So a moment of silence is equal to "worshipping the dead?"  That's a rather offensive statement.

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 23, 2012 - 5:08PM #20
Shusha

Is it just me or did someone move the goalposts rather suddenly?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 8  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook