Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View IOC rejects petition for moment of silence for Israeli Athletes Slain in Munich
3 years ago  ::  May 17, 2012 - 12:22PM #1
rocketjsquirell
From Danny Ayalon's Face Book

I received a rejection letter from the International Olympic Committee to our official request for a minute silence in remembrance of the eleven Israeli athletes murdered by Palestinian terrorists at the 1972 Munich Summer Olympic Games. Unfortunately, this response is unacceptable as it rejects the central principles of global fraternity on which the Olympic ideal is supposed to rest. The terrorist murders of the Israeli athletes were not just an attack on people because of their nationality and religion; it was an attack on the Olympic Games and the international community. Thus it is necessary for the Olympic Games as a whole to commemorate this event in the open rather than only in a side event. This rejection told us as Israelis that this tragedy is yours alone and not a tragedy within the family of nations. This is a very disappointing approach and we hope that this decision will be overturned so the international community as one can remember, reflect and learn the appropriate lesson from this dark stain on Olympic history.
We will not let this issue rest and we will be launching a concerted campaign to have the IOC reconsider their position.
All we ask for is "Just One Minute!"

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 22, 2012 - 2:06PM #2
rocketjsquirell

Just one minute!  A heartless IOC says no. Why?   

Ayalon won’t stay quiet over Olympic refusal to grant moment of silence
Deputy foreign minister calls for social media petition in favor of a moment of silence for Munich victims

www.timesofisrael.com/ayalon-goes-viral-...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 23, 2012 - 5:18AM #3
Dostojevsky

There are other Situations which would also warrant a minute silence.

To go through them all would take many minutes.

Moderated by Stardove on May 23, 2012 - 12:43PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 23, 2012 - 9:12AM #4
LeahOne

I find it very sad that the IOC seems all too eager to deny the "desecration" of a several-thousand year old worldwide tradition.

Moderated by Merope on May 23, 2012 - 04:44PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 23, 2012 - 9:17AM #5
LeahOne

Dos: 

I feel there should be a MOS  because athletes were murdered by terrorists:  if these had been Serbians murdered by political extremists, or Chinese murdered by Ouighur 'separatists'  - or Iranians murdered by Israelis! - I would still feel the same about it.

It only *happens* that the instance involves Israelis being murdered:  the *principle* I use is universal.

Moderated by Merope on May 23, 2012 - 04:45PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 23, 2012 - 12:15PM #6
SherriMunnerlyn

Leah,

We all have our own opinions and we each see these events from different perspectives.

I think the IOC made the right decision, there have been many people killed unlawfully in our world, singling out a few who died so long ago to especially recognize, elevates the importance of their lives and deaths above all others, and that is a concept I think all should reject who see all human lives to have equal value. to include all Jews and all Gentiles.

Sherri

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 23, 2012 - 12:54PM #7
LeahOne

Sherri, what is the principle from which your POV derives?

Is it that the murders AT the Olympic Games were 'too long ago' to bother remembering?

Is it that there have been so many murders during Olympic Game competitions?

Your principle seems to be drawing a (FALSE!) 'equivalency' between the murders of Olympic athletes and the thousands of deaths by drunk drivers and any other 'unlawful' deaths - IMHO, that 'category' of "unlawful deaths" is so broad as to be useless.

Your principle appears to be ignoring that the Olympic Games have historically been an oasis of **peaceful** sports competition which was not immune to polically-motivated murder.

As I have explained, the request for a MOS is because the dead were *Olympic athletes* who were murdered AT the Games - no other reason exists to ask for a MOS AT the Games, and no other 'attributes' are involved.

ALL Olympic athletes are 'equal' in that aspect:  there IS no element of 'elevating' or such involved.

Moderated by Merope on May 23, 2012 - 02:16PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 23, 2012 - 1:03PM #8
SherriMunnerlyn

May 23, 2012 -- 12:54PM, LeahOne wrote:

Sherri, what is the principle from which your POV derives?

Is it that the murders AT the Olympic Games were 'too long ago' to bother remembering?

Is it that there have been so many murders during Olympic Game competitions?

Your principle seems to be drawing a (FALSE!) 'equivalency' between the murders of Olympic athletes and the thousands of deaths by drunk drivers and any other 'unlawful' deaths - IMHO, that 'category' of "unlawful deaths" is so broad as to be useless.

Your principle appears to be ignoring that the Olympic Games have historically been an oasis of **peaceful** sports competition which was not immune to polically-motivated murder.

As I have explained, the request for a MOS is because the dead were *Olympic athletes* who were murdered AT the Games - no other reason exists to ask for a MOS AT the Games, and no other 'attributes' are involved.

ALL Olympic athletes are 'equal' in that aspect:  there IS no element of 'elevating' or such involved.

Leah,

My view that the lives of all have equal value is based on the Christian Bible.

My views are based on my beliefs that God created the world in His own image and He created man out of love for them, all of them His treasured creations. That is the Story told in Genesis, which I believe to be true.

Sherri

Moderated by Merope on May 23, 2012 - 02:17PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 23, 2012 - 1:15PM #9
SherriMunnerlyn

I am going to contact the OIC and thank them for this decision they have made in this matter, and fully explain why it so obviously was the right decision for them to make.

Sherri

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 23, 2012 - 1:40PM #10
LeahOne

Sherri, I do not think you've understood what I was asking for in terms of a 'principle'.  By 'principle', I meant a statement derived from logic which can be applied (as I tried to illustrate) to any possible variant of the situation.  The 'precedent' has nothing to do with religion or nationality or politics, but ONLY with the Games.

In this case, the 'situation' never was so broad as "all unlawful deaths" - but specifically "murders AT the Olympic Games".

The reason TO have a MOS is that "murders at the Olympic Games" was a desecration of the intent and purpose of the Games, and of their entire history.  IMHO, to have a MOS now would be to re-dedicate ourselves collectively to the Olympic ideal of peaceful competition - and I just can't see that as a negative. 

Your posts appear to me to be to be addressing some other topic entirely.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook