Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Big upset in Nebraska
2 years ago  ::  May 17, 2012 - 5:47PM #21
Bodean

May 17, 2012 -- 1:12PM, catboxer wrote:

Kerry or Kerrey, makes no difference. They might as well be the same guy.

They're both insipid Democrats who believe in nothing.

Republicans are porcine carnivores and sometimes cannibals.

Democrats are piggies who look at the vegetables, then eat the bacon.

Cat ... I really think you missed your calling.  You should have gone into writting Satire.  You'd be famous by now if you had.

You truly crack me up sometimes.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 17, 2012 - 8:08PM #22
catboxer

May 17, 2012 -- 3:15PM, Cesmom wrote:

Couldn't disagree more.  Kerrey is not just a typical politician.  He's not afraid to take an unpopular stance when it's the right thing to do.  His record backs that up. 

Cesmom, I'm not overly familiar with Bob Kerrey's career before he became a Senator, which is to say I know nothing about that.

If I remember correctly, he voted to permit Gee Dubya's excellent adventure in Iraq, which is generally all I need or want to know about any Dem Senator.

However, maybe you could provide an example or two of what you mean.

Bodean, thanks for the compliment. It means something, coming from someone with whom I've locked horns so many times.

Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 18, 2012 - 10:59AM #23
Cesmom

May 17, 2012 -- 8:08PM, catboxer wrote:

May 17, 2012 -- 3:15PM, Cesmom wrote:

Couldn't disagree more.  Kerrey is not just a typical politician.  He's not afraid to take an unpopular stance when it's the right thing to do.  His record backs that up. 

Cesmom, I'm not overly familiar with Bob Kerrey's career before he became a Senator, which is to say I know nothing about that.

If I remember correctly, he voted to permit Gee Dubya's excellent adventure in Iraq, which is generally all I need or want to know about any Dem Senator.

However, maybe you could provide an example or two of what you mean.

Bodean, thanks for the compliment. It means something, coming from someone with whom I've locked horns so many times.

Bob Kerrey isn't a typical politician.  He's well liked for a reason.  My mother worked on his campaign committee for governor in 1983, and again for Senate in 1989.  It was unusual for a democrat to hold the Governor’s seat in Nebraska, but he won it by a landslide.  He spent 12 years serving very well as a Nebraska State Senator.  

He was no longer in the Senate when the Iraq vote occurred in 2002, so he couldn't have voted in support of G.W.  However, he has made some comments supporting the war in Iraq.  I wouldn't judge him based on that issue alone.  

Prior to his break from politics, he had a consistent record of voting against waging unnecessary wars and defense spending.  He voted against invading the Gulf in 1991.  In 1999, he introduced an amendment to the annual defense authorization bill that would have permitted a unilateral reduction of 3,500 U.S. strategic nuclear weapons.  He repeatedly offered initiatives to reduce nuclear arsenals.

He adamantly opposed banning gay marriage, which would have been an extremely unpopular position in the early 90’s.  He opposed the constitutional amendment to outlaw flag burning, proving that upholding the 1st amendment was more important to him than playing politics.  He has strongly advocated real healthcare reform.  

Even if I don't agree with him 100% of the time, I agree with how he makes decisions.  He evaluates issues based on judgment, not politics. 

And for those who believe that a democrat couldn’t possibly be elected in today’s political climate, here’s a little tidbit from wiki…

1994 - He won re-election to a second term defeating businesswoman Jan Stoney[11] 55%-45%[12] even though it was during the Republican Revolution of 1994 and that she was endorsed by several state newspapers including McCook Daily Gazette, North Platte Telegraph, Norfolk Daily News, andGrand Island Independent.[13] 

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 18, 2012 - 11:28AM #24
Unworthyone

May 17, 2012 -- 11:01AM, loveontheair wrote:

For starters NE is a Red state and Conservative with the exeption of Lincoln, which is where most of the liberals live. Count Lincoln Blue.

I'm not sure that is correct.  Nebraska is one of only two states that award electoral college votes by district, as opposed to the state winner-take-all system that most states use.  In  2008, Obama was awarded one electoral vote from a district in Nebraska.  That district was in Omaha, not Lincoln.

I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.  Thomas Jefferson

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
Albert Einstein

You can get anything you want out of life if you will just help enough other people get what they want. Zig Ziglar

Here's the difference between a capitalist society and a communist society:  Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's the other way around.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 18, 2012 - 12:38PM #25
Fodaoson

May 17, 2012 -- 1:12PM, catboxer wrote:

Kerry or Kerrey, makes no difference. They might as well be the same guy.

They're both insipid Democrats who believe in nothing.

Republicans are porcine carnivores and sometimes cannibals.

Democrats are piggies who look at the vegetables, then eat the bacon.

Ok, I see I spelled his name wrong. Bob lived in NY for the past 10 yrs. For the record I am referring to this former Gov. and Senator with a bum leg.

IT appears that Catboxer  got them confused because Kerrey left the Senate in January 2001 therefore  could not have voted for GWBs "war"

I am not nit picking your politics but your clarity in posting and then getting 'uppity'

And the "bum leg" is war injury. As a former military member you should understand “war injury”   and put aside you’re your partisanship, but I guess the “swift boater” pattern works well for  republicans, even though it is lying as an art form    

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 18, 2012 - 7:04PM #26
catboxer

Fodaoson, your point is well taken and acknowledged.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 18, 2012 - 7:38PM #27
Fodaoson

May 18, 2012 -- 7:04PM, catboxer wrote:

Fodaoson, your point is well taken and acknowledged.

No real confusion on  your part , loveontheair  Said “Kerry can go back to New York,”  Kerry vote for GWB  wars, . Kerrey use to be a Senator from Nebraska.   Cheney demonstrated that where you reside is not  where you are from, Cheney and Bush resided in  Texas but Cheney was from Wyoming

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 20, 2012 - 10:56AM #28
catboxer

Here's an interesting take on Nebraska, where I was born, and where according to rumors a few people still live.

www.salon.com/2012/05/20/whats_the_deal_...

Maybe it explains why my new US map has an empty space in it where Kansas and Nebraska used to be, labelled "TBA."

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 21, 2012 - 12:29PM #29
Cesmom

May 20, 2012 -- 10:56AM, catboxer wrote:

Here's an interesting take on Nebraska, where I was born, and where according to rumors a few people still live.

www.salon.com/2012/05/20/whats_the_deal_...

Maybe it explains why my new US map has an empty space in it where Kansas and Nebraska used to be, labelled "TBA."

Very witty writer.  He made me laugh more than once.  I'd love to write a response about all the reasons Nebraska is a great place to live...stuff like low crime rates, great public education, clean air, decent roads, etc, etc...but hey, that might not appeal to someone from the big city ;-).

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook