Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The biggest problem with the death penalty
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 12:47PM #1
christzen
There are no do-overs when you kill the wrong guy.

news.yahoo.com/wrong-man-executed-texas-...

The DP is done for retribution and vengeance.I wonder how the victim's family feels knowing the wrong guy was killed on their behalf?
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 12:52PM #2
teilhard

No ...

In SOME Cases, The "Death Penalty" -- as with "Life Incarceration without Parole" -- is for the Protection of Innocent Society ... 

Certain (thank "God," RARE) Cases come to Mind, such as, (the late) Ted Bundy...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 1:02PM #3
arielg

There are no do-overs when you kill the wrong guy.

The same thing could be said of the indiscriminate killings of war.  I guess a patriot can never be in favor of eliminating the  death penalty.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 1:04PM #4
Druac

The system isn't perfect...there is no such thing.

Innocent people die all over the world on a daily bases. We should do things to prevent that from happening as much as possible...but it doesn't happen enough for me to be against the DP in the right cases.

Call it revenge...call it justice...I call it the right punishment for certain crimes. I don’t hold our species to the level that most do…we haven’t even come close to earning it. If one of us wants to take the innocent life of another, we should pay the ultimate price for it.

All humans DIE…it is part of everyone’s LIFE. If you are going to take it upon yourself to end the life of someone prematurely, yours should be ended the same way.

Jesus Is My Savior...He Saves Me From REALITY!
---------------------------------------------
We created god in our own image and likeness!
[George Carlin]
"Reason & Logic" - A Damn Good Slogan!
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg, an American physicist
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 1:05PM #5
Unworthyone

Part of the problem is that Texas juries do not have the option of  life without parole.  They face the dilemma of either executing an innocent person, or possibly setting a killer free someday.

I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.  Thomas Jefferson

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
Albert Einstein

You can get anything you want out of life if you will just help enough other people get what they want. Zig Ziglar

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/29/opinion/why-i-m-for-the-brady-bill.html
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 1:22PM #6
Cesmom

My problem with the death penalty is that it's not practical.

As it stands now, with all the appeals that are allowed, it's more expensive to sentence someone to the death penalty than it is to sentence them to life in prison.  If you "streamline" the process and put greater limits on appeals, you increase the chances of executing someone who is not guilty.  It's a lose-lose situation.

Life without parole makes much more sense.

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 1:23PM #7
Unworthyone

May 15, 2012 -- 1:04PM, Druac wrote:

The system isn't perfect...there is no such thing.

Innocent people die all over the world on a daily bases. We should do things to prevent that from happening as much as possible...but it doesn't happen enough for me to be against the DP in the right cases.

Call it revenge...call it justice...I call it the right punishment for certain crimes. I don’t hold our species to the level that most do…we haven’t even come close to earning it. If one of us wants to take the innocent life of another, we should pay the ultimate price for it.

All humans DIE…it is part of everyone’s LIFE. If you are going to take it upon yourself to end the life of someone prematurely, yours should be ended the same way.

I certainly will not argue that some people deserve to die for their heinous crimes.  I would have no problem with the DP if we were better at convicting the right people and doing it equitably. 

The FBI has shown that when DNA evidence is available pre-trial, the wrong person is in custody 25% of the time.  Unfortunately, DNA is not available or not relevant in the vast majority capital crimes.  Do you suppose that the right person is arrested more often in cases where DNA evidence in not available pre-trial?  Not likely.

It has also been demonstrated that the likelihood of receiving the DP has more to do with the race of the victim.  Convicted killers of white victims are far more likely to receive the DP than those who kill minorities.  A poor commentary on the mindset of the juries and judges who sentence.

I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.  Thomas Jefferson

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
Albert Einstein

You can get anything you want out of life if you will just help enough other people get what they want. Zig Ziglar

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/29/opinion/why-i-m-for-the-brady-bill.html
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 1:27PM #8
TENAC

I do support the death penalty (yeah yeah dont faint over that proclamation) for heinious crimes.

I remain of the mind that if paddling were brought back into the public schools, we would have far less problems and far better schools.

To enforce the death penalty quickly and effectively would have a similar effect on crime.

Any man can count the seeds in an apple....
.......but only God can count the apples in the seeds.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 1:31PM #9
Cesmom

Question...raise your hand if you think the prosecutor in this case deserves the death penalty?  After all, it's justifiable when you take an innocent person's life, right?

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 1:33PM #10
christzen

May 15, 2012 -- 12:52PM, teilhard wrote:

No ...

In SOME Cases, The "Death Penalty" -- as with "Life Incarceration without Parole" -- is for the Protection of Innocent Society ... 

Certain (thank "God," RARE) Cases come to Mind, such as, (the late) Ted Bundy...

Why would the DP be necessary when life without parole could protect society?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook