Post Reply
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Why the gender gap in support for marriage equality?
2 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 11:43AM #1
Kwinters
Posts: 22,117
The media is starting to report on the gender gap on marriage equality found in a recent Gallup poll (see running list of coverage at: psawomenpolitics.wordpress.com/)

The difference in supporting marriage equality is massive: 56 percent of women are in support whereas only 42 percent of men are.

Why the 14 point sex-difference in the political equality of gay Americans?
Jesus had two dads, and he turned out alright.~ Andy Gussert

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

If someone says, “Oh, I’m not a feminist,” I ask, “Why, what’s your problem?”

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 1:24PM #2
TENAC
Posts: 26,503
Women are higher % of population, so it would stand to reason you would have a higher incidence of lesbianism.
Any man can count the seeds in an apple....
.......but only God can count the apples in the seeds.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 1:41PM #3
Mostyn32
Posts: 2,941

TENAC, you're making the assumption that the only women who support SSM are lesbians! I'm a hetero woman and I'm not the only hetero woman I know who supports SSM.


I'd suggest that a better reason for the 14 point difference between women who support SSM and men who support SSM has to do with the well-known 'ick factor'.


Even so, it would appear that there is majority support for SSM in the US.

"God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say aright."  from 'A Learned Discourse on Justification', a sermon by Richard Hooker (1554-1600).
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 1:52PM #4
Jasr
Posts: 11,773

May 14, 2012 -- 1:24PM, TENAC wrote:

Women are higher % of population, so it would stand to reason you would have a higher incidence of lesbianism.




The proportion of females to males in the US population was 50.9% to 49.1% male according to the 2000 Census.


Right-wing statistical analysis dazzles us once again.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 2:02PM #5
TENAC
Posts: 26,503
But was I right or wrong?
Any man can count the seeds in an apple....
.......but only God can count the apples in the seeds.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 2:29PM #6
Jasr
Posts: 11,773

May 14, 2012 -- 2:02PM, TENAC wrote:

But was I right or wrong?




Assuming:


  1. That the incidence of biologically based homosexuality (a phenomemon whose existence is denied by many right-wingers) is exactly the same for women as it is for men,
  2. That all gays are in favor of SSM and all straights are against...


then the fact that there is a miniscule numeric advantage for women in the US population might result in an equally miniscule higher incidence of "lesbianism," and correspondingly higher support for SSM among women.


But it would be spectacularly irrelevant to this discussion anyway, since we are talking about a difference of 14% between women and men.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 2:36PM #7
christzen
Posts: 6,569

May 14, 2012 -- 2:02PM, TENAC wrote:

But was I right or wrong?



 


Wrong.The numbers are based on % of women vs men,so even if the women seriously outnumbered men,which they don't,it's still not total numbers of women vs total numbers of men,but % vs %.


 


The gap is most likely explained by the different attitudes of each.Women will regularly share beds on overnight motal stays while 2 men would almost never consider bunking up in the same bed.Women just don't seemed to be as freaked out by closeness with the same sex like men.Women are just less homophobic,it seems.Men feel more threatened by  homosexuality for some reason.Studies  by psychiatrists indicate fears of latent homosexuality may lend to men overreacting to homosexuality as a defense mechanism.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 2:53PM #8
Kwinters
Posts: 22,117

May 14, 2012 -- 2:02PM, TENAC wrote:

But was I right or wrong?



Sorry, but you're wrong.  There is no connection between the two.


It wouldn't matter if they were 47 percent of the population or 59 percent of the population, the percentage of women who support marriage is higher than the percentage of men who support it.


Imagine two pie charts.  One of men, one of women. Regardless of how many people there are in the population the percent of men and women who support it or not would be comparable because we're comparing percents.


That is why we convert frequencies (raw counts) into percents, in order to compare like with like regardless of the numbers of people in each category.

Jesus had two dads, and he turned out alright.~ Andy Gussert

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

If someone says, “Oh, I’m not a feminist,” I ask, “Why, what’s your problem?”

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 2:56PM #9
Kwinters
Posts: 22,117

Homophobia: The fear that gay men will treat you the way you treat women.

Jesus had two dads, and he turned out alright.~ Andy Gussert

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

If someone says, “Oh, I’m not a feminist,” I ask, “Why, what’s your problem?”

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 2:57PM #10
MMarcoe
Posts: 16,831

May 14, 2012 -- 11:43AM, Kwinters wrote:

The media is starting to report on the gender gap on marriage equality found in a recent Gallup poll (see running list of coverage at: psawomenpolitics.wordpress.com/)

The difference in supporting marriage equality is massive: 56 percent of women are in support whereas only 42 percent of men are.

Why the 14 point sex-difference in the political equality of gay Americans?




Maybe because women are known to have a more fluid sexuality than men and can therefore understand the desire to marry someone of the same sex.

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook