Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View US calls Turkey’s discrimination against Israel unacceptable
2 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 7:39AM #1
BDboy
Is this election year politics for "Vote banks" or there is more to come from the US? Check it the article below...

US calls Turkey’s discrimination against Israel unacceptable

The Obama administration has expressed its dissatisfaction of Turkey’s discrimination against Israel in partnership activities within the framework of NATO’s Mediterranean Dialogue. Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs Philip H. Gordon said on Thursday that the United States was not going to allow Turkey’s discrimination against Israel. Gordon was answering questions from senators at a hearing titled “NATO: Chicago and Beyond,” held by the US Senate Committee on Foreign Relations.

When asked a question by Utah Senator Mike Lee, concerning whether there would be any softening of Turkey’s objection to Israel’s participation in the summit within 10 days, Gordon replied that there was a misconception about this issue. “NATO had not envisaged inviting Israel to the Chicago summit. Israel is an important partner of NATO, certainly an important ally of the United States. It is a member of the Mediterranean Dialogue, one of NATO’s manifold partnership arrangements. But the Chicago summit was never going to have a meeting of every single one of those partnerships, simply as a matter of logistics and time,” said Gordon.

Agreeing with Gordon on the misconception about the issue, a senior Turkish diplomatic source told Today’s Zaman that Turkey didn’t veto Israel’s participation in NATO’s upcoming Chicago summit due to take place from May 20 to 21, an important diplomatic summit to be hosted by US President Barack Obama.

The same diplomatic source emphasized that Israel was not invited to the Chicago summit, but if it had been invited, Turkey would not hesitate to veto its participation in the summit.

Gordon also underlined that there was no particular invitation to Israel for Turkey to block. Meanwhile, some Jewish leaders who spoke to Haaretz did not find this statement credible.
...................................Clcik here to read the rest.

[ Source: www.todayszaman.com/news-280123-us-calls... ]

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 9:41AM #2
Dostojevsky

" NATO’s Mediterranean Dialogue. Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs Philip H. Gordon said on Thursday that the United States was not going to allow Turkey’s discrimination against Israel. Gordon was answering"

..not going to allow.. I bet US will not talk like that to China.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 1:52PM #3
LeahOne

China is neither in NATO nor an ally of the US. 

And no sane person in the US ever expects the Chinese to do what an American may regard as 'the right thing'.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 3:49PM #4
KindredSai

May 15, 2012 -- 1:52PM, LeahOne wrote:

China is neither in NATO nor an ally of the US. 

And no sane person in the US ever expects the Chinese to do what an American may regard as 'the right thing'.

Untrue.

Well it depends how define the term ally. Militarily, they are not. However they have shown some support in pressuring North Korea after US dialogue.

They are without a doubt a trade ally to the US.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 5:21PM #5
LeahOne

Thanks, KSai - I really needed to read your implication that I've defined the term 'ally' incorrectly, LOL!

I suppose you'll be putting out a new version of 'The Elements of Style' for us Strunck & White fans, right after you finish a new edition of Roget's Thesaurus.....

I don't know about how the rest of the world defines 'ally' - but China is only 'allied' to any other nation for her *convenience*. While her underlying ethic remains that of 'Maoism', there can BE no 'partnerships' between the Han overlords and their 57 varieties of oppressed minorities - let alone the **others** who populate lesser lands than the Middle Kingdom.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 6:44PM #6
rocketjsquirell

May 15, 2012 -- 5:21PM, LeahOne wrote:

Thanks, KSai - I really needed to read your implication that I've defined the term 'ally' incorrectly, LOL!

I suppose you'll be putting out a new version of 'The Elements of Style' for us Strunck & White fans, right after you finish a new edition of Roget's Thesaurus.....

I don't know about how the rest of the world defines 'ally' - but China is only 'allied' to any other nation for her *convenience*. While her underlying ethic remains that of 'Maoism', there can BE no 'partnerships' between the Han overlords and their 57 varieties of oppressed minorities - let alone the **others** who populate lesser lands than the Middle Kingdom.

Leah

You are so silly. You know that there is only one opressed minority in the world and that they are oppressed by only one nation.  Wink I mean all you have to do is ask.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 16, 2012 - 1:34AM #7
SherriMunnerlyn

May 14, 2012 -- 7:39AM, BDboy wrote:

Is this election year politics for "Vote banks" or there is more to come from the US? Check it the article below...

US calls Turkey’s discrimination against Israel unacceptable

The Obama administration has expressed its dissatisfaction of Turkey’s discrimination against Israel in partnership activities within the framework of NATO’s Mediterranean Dialogue. Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs Philip H. Gordon said on Thursday that the United States was not going to allow Turkey’s discrimination against Israel. Gordon was answering questions from senators at a hearing titled “NATO: Chicago and Beyond,” held by the US Senate Committee on Foreign Relations.

When asked a question by Utah Senator Mike Lee, concerning whether there would be any softening of Turkey’s objection to Israel’s participation in the summit within 10 days, Gordon replied that there was a misconception about this issue. “NATO had not envisaged inviting Israel to the Chicago summit. Israel is an important partner of NATO, certainly an important ally of the United States. It is a member of the Mediterranean Dialogue, one of NATO’s manifold partnership arrangements. But the Chicago summit was never going to have a meeting of every single one of those partnerships, simply as a matter of logistics and time,” said Gordon.

Agreeing with Gordon on the misconception about the issue, a senior Turkish diplomatic source told Today’s Zaman that Turkey didn’t veto Israel’s participation in NATO’s upcoming Chicago summit due to take place from May 20 to 21, an important diplomatic summit to be hosted by US President Barack Obama.

The same diplomatic source emphasized that Israel was not invited to the Chicago summit, but if it had been invited, Turkey would not hesitate to veto its participation in the summit.

Gordon also underlined that there was no particular invitation to Israel for Turkey to block. Meanwhile, some Jewish leaders who spoke to Haaretz did not find this statement credible.
...................................Clcik here to read the rest.

[ Source: www.todayszaman.com/news-280123-us-calls... ]

BDboy,

The lengths the US goes to to protect and defend Israel is illustrated by these statements.These ridiculous statements are made, as the US just refused to criticize Israel regarding her prisoner human rights abuses/war crimes against Palestinian political prisoners.

In our foreign policy today, because of special intererst groups like AIPAC, the  interests of Israel are placed before the interests of Americans and  peace for the world. It is disgusting.

I was just reading a post on Richard Falk's blog, where he pointed out that Europe today sees the US and Israel as the greatest threats to world peace. I assume this statement is based on polls. And I just found at least one of the polls this is based upon.

THE NEW WORLD DISORDER

EU poll: Israel 'biggest threat' to world peace

U.S. beats out 'axis of evil' in causing global instability

www.wnd.com/2003/10/21566/

Poll: Israel and US Biggest Threats to World Peace

www.twf.org/News/Y2003/1031-Poll.html

I see these ridiculous statements by the US about Turkey discriminating against Israel  and how it is not acceptable as illustrations of why the rest of the world sees us and Israel as today the biggest threats to world peace.

The next question becomes, what if Turkey refuses to stop her so-called discrimination against Israel. Do we carry out sanctions against them or invade and occupy their lands or nuke them? Isn't it interesting that the US is the only nation in the world to do all three of those things to their enemies? And as we do these acts, we speak of threats to world peace of others, the Hypocrisy of that is certainly something to think about.

Sherri

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 17, 2012 - 2:05PM #8
BDboy

Sherri,

Turkey has been a stedfast "Ally" of Israel (And USA) for decades.

The only "Sin" Turkey commited was the speak about innocent citizens killed by Israel on international waters.

Today Turkey has a democratic government that was elected by it's people. It has more personal freedom for it's citizens and brought down unsavory corruption by the government. It also enjoys one of the fastest growing economies of the world.

So it has "Shared values" with America and shared interest with America as a major NATO ally.

The only explanation of "American reaction" is the election year "Israel factor". This issue has been influencing American politics for many decades now. Obama administration is only reflecting reality of "American politics" today.

Turkey was "Picked" to please the very strong "Israel lobby" in Washigton.

Moderated by Merope on May 17, 2012 - 04:38PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 17, 2012 - 2:21PM #9
LeahOne

BD, the accusation in blue and the link it goes to do not represent the incident accurately, and in fact contradict the official findings of the investigation.

It's nice that you think Israel is sooooo! important, but I think your view is far too narrow.  And far from the "only" explanation.  It's nobody else's fault if your imagination is so limited.

And your insistence that the 'Israel lobby' is uber-powerful is just so much conspiranutter BS filth as far as I can tell. 

Findlay is an ignorant bigoted wingnut - and so is anyone who insists on presenting him as competend or a reliable source of information.  He's as much a joke as Cynthia McKinney was and Joe Pitts still is! (PA member of the House)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 17, 2012 - 2:25PM #10
LeahOne

Sherri, I don't particularly care how 'the rest of the world' sees the US and Israel - except for the fact that their perceptions are notoriously INaccurate.  They don't live or vote here.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook