Page 1 of 14  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Gay adoption yes, gay marriage no, civil unions...what?
2 years ago  ::  May 13, 2012 - 8:32AM #1
Kwinters
1) I thought Romney supported gay adoption, but then when I started to research it for this thread I found out his position has changed again.

First he said:

"I happen to believe that the best setting for raising a child is where this is the opportunity to a mom and a dad to be in the home," Romney said. "I know there are many circumstances where that is not possible, through death or divorce. I also know many gay couples are able to adopt children. That's fine."

THEN...

'Mitt Romney walked back on his earlier comment that it's "fine" for gay couples to adopt, saying he will "simply acknowledge" that gay adoption is legal.

"Well actually I think all states but one allow gay adoption, so that's a position which has been decided by most of the state legislators, including the one in my state some time ago," Romney toldCharlotte, North Carolina's WBTV on Friday. "So I simply acknowledge the fact that gay adoption is legal in all states but one."

www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/12/mitt-r... 

So is gay adoption fine with him, or not?!  WTF?

2) And what is up on civil unions?

'During his tenure in office, the Supreme Judicial Court (SJC) of Massachusetts issued a ruling claiming that denial of marriage to same sex couples was not legal. Governor Romney supported the establishment of civil unions to satisfy the court decision that a legal alternative be available.'

So he supported civil unions as a legal alternative to marriage...

But on May 9th he said:

In other remarks, though, Romney made clear that his views in the subject haven’t softened a bit. He told one reporter “My view is the same as it has been since the beginning which is I don’t favor civil union if it is identical to marriage, and I don’t favor marriage between people of the same gender.”

www.nationalreview.com/corner/299488/rom... 

OK, so if he supports civil unions as an alternative to marriage, isn't that just an identical version of marriage in legal status how can he oppose civil unions if it is 'identical' to marriage?

WTF? I don't understand what that means.

And if he opposes civil unions but supports gay couples adopting children, isn't the result a huge increase in children growing up in households with unwed parents? How do the legal rights of adoptive parents work outside the legal structures around marriage?

Does anyone understand WTF Mitt Romney really thinks about any of this as policy?

Or does he just talk bs to everyone depending upon who he thinks is listening? 

Jesus had two dads, and he turned out alright.~ Andy Gussert

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

If someone says, “Oh, I’m not a feminist,” I ask, “Why, what’s your problem?”

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 13, 2012 - 11:13AM #2
withwonderingawe

I think it would help to understand the Mormon church has softened their stand ever so slightly.

“Mitt Romney walked back on his earlier comment that it's "fine" for gay couples to adopt, saying he will "simply acknowledge" that gay adoption is legal.”

If it has been deemed legal then the Church will honor and sustain the law, see our 12th Article of Faith. We’ll fight it tooth and nail until it does become law but once it has we’ll abide by it.

“In other remarks, though, Romney made clear that his views in the subject haven’t softened a bit. He told one reporter “My view is the same as it has been since the beginning which is I don’t favor civil union if it is identical to marriage, and I don’t favor marriage between people of the same gender.”

I can’t find the statement but sometime ago the Church supported something like a civil union or some sort of legal contract so same sex partners could have health insurance and other legal issues taken care of.

Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 13, 2012 - 1:20PM #3
mainecaptain

Romney stands for nothing. He will say what ever he thinks will get him the power he wants. Other then that I doubt he cares. I doubt he has a real opinion in SS marriage or same sex couples adopting. He just wants to win, at any and at all costs.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 13, 2012 - 1:28PM #4
TENAC

May 13, 2012 -- 1:20PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Romney  obama stands for nothing. He will say what ever he thinks will get him the power he wants. Other then that I doubt he cares. I doubt he has a real opinion in SS marriage or same sex couples adopting. He just wants to win, at any and at all costs.

There.

Fixed it for you.

Any man can count the seeds in an apple....
.......but only God can count the apples in the seeds.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 13, 2012 - 1:59PM #5
Find1Answer

May 13, 2012 -- 8:32AM, Kwinters wrote:

1) I thought Romney supported gay adoption, but then when I started to research it for this thread I found out his position has changed again.

First he said:

"I happen to believe that the best setting for raising a child is where this is the opportunity to a mom and a dad to be in the home," Romney said. "I know there are many circumstances where that is not possible, through death or divorce. I also know many gay couples are able to adopt children. That's fine."

THEN...

'Mitt Romney walked back on his earlier comment that it's "fine" for gay couples to adopt, saying he will "simply acknowledge" that gay adoption is legal.

"Well actually I think all states but one allow gay adoption, so that's a position which has been decided by most of the state legislators, including the one in my state some time ago," Romney toldCharlotte, North Carolina's WBTV on Friday. "So I simply acknowledge the fact that gay adoption is legal in all states but one."

www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/12/mitt-r... 

So is gay adoption fine with him, or not?!  WTF?

2) And what is up on civil unions?

'During his tenure in office, the Supreme Judicial Court (SJC) of Massachusetts issued a ruling claiming that denial of marriage to same sex couples was not legal. Governor Romney supported the establishment of civil unions to satisfy the court decision that a legal alternative be available.'

So he supported civil unions as a legal alternative to marriage...

But on May 9th he said:

In other remarks, though, Romney made clear that his views in the subject haven’t softened a bit. He told one reporter “My view is the same as it has been since the beginning which is I don’t favor civil union if it is identical to marriage, and I don’t favor marriage between people of the same gender.”

www.nationalreview.com/corner/299488/rom... 

OK, so if he supports civil unions as an alternative to marriage, isn't that just an identical version of marriage in legal status how can he oppose civil unions if it is 'identical' to marriage?

WTF? I don't understand what that means.

And if he opposes civil unions but supports gay couples adopting children, isn't the result a huge increase in children growing up in households with unwed parents? How do the legal rights of adoptive parents work outside the legal structures around marriage?

Does anyone understand WTF Mitt Romney really thinks about any of this as policy?

Or does he just talk bs to everyone depending upon who he thinks is listening? 

I am actually starting to feel for the guys dilemma.   talk about being caught  on the horns

I thought that I would never live to see Pigs Fly but they did this past week.   Romney was listened to with respect by the evangelicals of Liberty University.  I even read an article that Romney is considering Huckabee as a possible VP.     how can that be so when Huckabee thinks mormons have tails and horns and that they are not Christian.     what an upside down world Romney finds himself in.

Mormons love their gay children because they love their children,   they certainly do not approve or understand homosexuality and have made spectacles of themselves fighting ssm in Calif in a bid to get the evangelicals to "like" Romney.   I guess it worked.

Of course Romney will say anything but that is a common trait for politicians.         

"I don’t care if the federal government is telling me to buy my employees Jack Daniel’s or birth control. What gives them the right to tell me that I have to do that? That’s my issue, that’s what I object to, and that’s the beginning and end of the story."

This hint that Potter had merely swaddled an anti-government rant within a "religious" blanket illustrates the main problem with Justice Samuel Alito's majority opinion in Hobby Lobby: it takes claims of religious scruples for granted.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-expanded-hobby-lobby-20140702-column.html#page=1
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 13, 2012 - 2:02PM #6
Find1Answer

May 13, 2012 -- 1:28PM, TENAC wrote:

Romney  obama stands for nothing. He will say what ever he thinks will get him the power he wants. Other then that I doubt he cares. I doubt he has a real opinion in SS marriage or same sex couples adopting. He just wants to win, at any and at all costs.

There.

Fixed it for you.

yea whatever.    I think that KW careful recitation of Romney's various stances on any given subject is proof that he stands for which ever way the wind blows.      The only thing you got is most successful politicians are born this way.    

"I don’t care if the federal government is telling me to buy my employees Jack Daniel’s or birth control. What gives them the right to tell me that I have to do that? That’s my issue, that’s what I object to, and that’s the beginning and end of the story."

This hint that Potter had merely swaddled an anti-government rant within a "religious" blanket illustrates the main problem with Justice Samuel Alito's majority opinion in Hobby Lobby: it takes claims of religious scruples for granted.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-expanded-hobby-lobby-20140702-column.html#page=1
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 13, 2012 - 2:04PM #7
Roodog

It's odd that Gays can be trusted to look after children but can't be trusted to marry each other.

Some opponents( Like Psychologist Laura Schlessinger) consider same sex adoption to be sexual abuse of children.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 13, 2012 - 10:14PM #8
mecdukebec

Romney stands for nothing. He will say what ever he thinks will get him the power he wants. Other then that I doubt he cares. I doubt he has a real opinion in SS marriage or same sex couples adopting. He just wants to win, at any and at all costs.

I think that Mitt Witt the Etcha-Sketch is expressing the inconsistencies of apartheid against LGBT:  They "can" do this (adopt); they "can't" marry.  Wingoism will fall apart of its own weight on this issue, as much as South African apartheid did.  "A Wingo house divided against itself cannot stand."

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 13, 2012 - 10:32PM #9
mainecaptain

May 13, 2012 -- 10:14PM, mecdukebec wrote:

I think that Mitt Witt the Etcha-Sketch is expressing the inconsistencies of apartheid against LGBT:  They "can" do this (adopt); they "can't" marry.  Wingoism will fall apart of its own weight on this issue, as much as South African apartheid did.  "A Wingo house divided against itself cannot stand."

You have a wonderful way of phrasing things Wink

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 13, 2012 - 10:37PM #10
mecdukebec

May 13, 2012 -- 10:32PM, mainecaptain wrote:

May 13, 2012 -- 10:14PM, mecdukebec wrote:

You have a wonderful way of phrasing things Wink

Thanks.  Seriously, if you've ever read the works of South African anti-apartheid writer and Nobel Peace Prize for Literature winner, I'd point this out:  Ms Gordimer wrote about the double standards of apartheid; which, it seems to me, describes the state of affairs in Wingoism and its opposition to "the gays."  It's very weird how Wingoism is so hopelessly self-contradictory and falling apart, as I said. of its Wingoweight. 

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 14  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook