Page 3 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View When Betty White Really Blew It
2 years ago  ::  May 13, 2012 - 4:09PM #21
Mostyn32

May 13, 2012 -- 2:54PM, arielg wrote:

An icon is a symbol of something.  It originally had a religious significance.

Entertainers are shallow because they do not live in the world of reality  Their  job is creating    virtual  worlds  and fantasies for people to get lost in and ignore  reality. I suppose people who worship entertainment could see an icon in someone who is good at doing that.

Well, that comment certainly explains Ronald Reagan's presidency!

On the whole, however, your post makes assumptions and is unfairly dismissive! While entertainers may indeed create virtual worlds and fantasies, they don't live in them. Like Shylock in 'The Merchant of Venice', they laugh when you tickle them and bleed when you prick them, and so on.

They don't live in those virtual worlds, after all. They live in this one, and they have as much right to speak their minds and express their opinions as financiers and fishermen, marines and millworkers, doctors and dockworkers, lawyers and lunch ladies, and the rest of us. They have mortgages, have kids, take vacations, go to the dentist, and do everything that you and I do. It's only their jobs that are different from yours and mine.

To call entertainers shallow dismisses the causes many of them espouse, like ending world hunger, ending child labour, working to eradicate landmines, and many others.   

"God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say aright."  from 'A Learned Discourse on Justification', a sermon by Richard Hooker (1554-1600).
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 13, 2012 - 4:18PM #22
mainecaptain

May 13, 2012 -- 4:09PM, Mostyn32 wrote:

To call entertainers shallow dismisses the causes many of them espouse, like ending world hunger, ending child labour, working to eradicate landmines, and many others.   

You must remember. Those (generic those) who dismiss people like Ms. White. Don't care about the good works they do. They don't care about the hungry, they don't care about ending child labour, and they don't care about people being killed and disfigured by landmines.

They (generic they) only care about themselves.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 13, 2012 - 6:19PM #23
arielg

They don't live in those virtual worlds, after all. They live in this one, and they have as much right to speak their minds and express their opinions as financiers and fishermen, marines and millworkers, doctors and dockworkers, lawyers and lunch ladies, and the rest of us. They have mortgages, have kids, take vacations, go to the dentist, and do everything that you and I do. It's only their jobs that are different from yours and mine.

To call entertainers shallow dismisses the causes many of them espouse, like ending world hunger, ending child labour, working to eradicate landmines, and many others.  

Of course they have the right to express their opinions.  Who is saying they don't? 

Fishermen and finaciers are not called icons. Entertainers  are not called icons because of the good works they do, which a lot of people also do. They are called icons  because they entertain. Their entertaining activities  is what is  shallow. And to give their opinions  special significance because of that is shallow.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 13, 2012 - 6:22PM #24
arielg

You must remember. Those (generic those) who dismiss people like Ms. White. Don't care about the good works they do. They don't care about the hungry, they don't care about ending child labour, and they don't care about people being killed and disfigured by landmines.

They (generic they) only care about themselves.

Oh, bull caca. Who are you to judge  who cares and who doesn't?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 13, 2012 - 7:18PM #25
Mostyn32

For most nonagenarians, arielg, Betty White is an icon, because at an age when most of her contemporaries are either retired, in ill health, confined to nursing homes, or dead, she is still vital, active, and working, and - praise be - has managed to hang onto her marbles! She's living proof that one can be successful in a highly competitive business, with a myriad of temptations to indulge in unhealthy practices like drug abuse and alcohol abuse, and which also promotes infidelity and serial marriage. Betty White is a role model for women past retirement age! 

One of my favourite Betty White quotes is her response to James Lipton, when he was interviewing on 'Inside the Actor's Studio'. He asked he what she would like to hear God say when she arrived in heaven. She said, "I'd like God to say 'Welcome, Betty, Alan's waiting for you.' (a reference to he husband Alan Ludden).

"God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say aright."  from 'A Learned Discourse on Justification', a sermon by Richard Hooker (1554-1600).
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 13, 2012 - 7:20PM #26
arielg

I agree with you. I like her a lot.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 13, 2012 - 7:34PM #27
JGL57

Betty White is a cool old broad.  People who put her down?  Not so much.

Odds are Obama will kick some Willard "Lord od the Flies" Rmoney a.s.s. this November.

Let's move on.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 13, 2012 - 9:01PM #28
k-bearsmom

I just threw up!

She is an ACTING icon.....one of the best in her field.

check the definition!

sheeeesh people!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 13, 2012 - 9:09PM #29
mainecaptain

May 13, 2012 -- 7:18PM, Mostyn32 wrote:

For most nonagenarians, arielg, Betty White is an icon, because at an age when most of her contemporaries are either retired, in ill health, confined to nursing homes, or dead, she is still vital, active, and working, and - praise be - has managed to hang onto her marbles! She's living proof that one can be successful in a highly competitive business, with a myriad of temptations to indulge in unhealthy practices like drug abuse and alcohol abuse, and which also promotes infidelity and serial marriage. Betty White is a role model for women past retirement age! 

One of my favourite Betty White quotes is her response to James Lipton, when he was interviewing on 'Inside the Actor's Studio'. He asked he what she would like to hear God say when she arrived in heaven. She said, "I'd like God to say 'Welcome, Betty, Alan's waiting for you.' (a reference to he husband Alan Ludden).

That quote of hers, "I'd like God to say 'Welcome, Betty, Alan's waiting for you." is one of the reason I so admire her. She is above all things a kind, and loving women.

Something not admired by sociopathic conservatives.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 13, 2012 - 10:19PM #30
Fodaoson

May 13, 2012 -- 9:01PM, k-bearsmom wrote:

I just threw up!

She is an ACTING icon.....one of the best in her field.

check the definition!

sheeeesh people!

An image, picture, representation, etc

A person or thing regarded as a symbol of a belief, nation, community, or cultural movement

A person regarded as a sex symbol or as a symbol of the latest fashion trends

Betty White represents an all-around successful entertainer in all mediums. She has had success in modeling,  Radio, television, movies. Singing and  theater. She has the longest span between winning Emmys, 60 years; she has won 7 Emmys and been nominated  20 times. She has a star on the Hollywood walk of fame.  She has worked as an entertainer since highs school into her 90’s.  She fits the dictionary definition of an icon;  She is a symbol of an entertainer.

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook