Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View When Betty White Really Blew It
2 years ago  ::  May 12, 2012 - 3:27PM #11
TENAC

It completely amazes me that people, primarily in the entertainment industry, get a stage or a forum and feel they should be untouched by their opinions

THAT is what is shallow in all of this, not the people that change the dial.

Any man can count the seeds in an apple....
.......but only God can count the apples in the seeds.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 12, 2012 - 4:45PM #12
Mostyn32

Gadzooks, TENAC, if Betty White and other celebrities are considered shallow because they express an opinion, then it follows that all of us who post our opinions on this board are equally shallow.

So Betty White supports Obama. Big deal. So, apparently, did all the other shallow celebrities who congregated at George Clooney's house and raised a record-breaking $15 million-at-one-event to support the Obama campaign.

As for your crack about Oprah and Ellen Degeneres, both those ladies still laugh all the way to the bank, so your opinion of them matters not one whit!

"God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say aright."  from 'A Learned Discourse on Justification', a sermon by Richard Hooker (1554-1600).
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 12, 2012 - 5:06PM #13
mainecaptain

Some people obviously don't know what "shallow" actually means. Shallow, without depth. Having an opinion is hardly showing one is without depth.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 12, 2012 - 7:01PM #14
k-bearsmom

Betty White a national icon? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?........

C'mon Unworthy!.....she's a cute lady, has been tripping the boards for many years, has developed a rather bawdy, (or perhaps 'bawdier' ) sense of humor in her twilight years and refuses to 'go-out' with a wimper!

A NATIONAL ICON ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !......................

puleeeeeze!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 12, 2012 - 7:19PM #15
TENAC

May 12, 2012 -- 4:45PM, Mostyn32 wrote:

Gadzooks, TENAC, if Betty White and other celebrities are considered shallow because they express an opinion, then it follows that all of us who post our opinions on this board are equally shallow.

So Betty White supports Obama. Big deal. So, apparently, did all the other shallow celebrities who congregated at George Clooney's house and raised a record-breaking $15 million-at-one-event to support the Obama campaign.

As for your crack about Oprah and Ellen Degeneres, both those ladies still laugh all the way to the bank, so your opinion of them matters not one whit!

May 12, 2012 -- 5:06PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Some people obviously don't know what "shallow" actually means. Shallow, without depth. Having an opinion is hardly showing one is without depth.

These posts would seem to suggest there is some depth with in the people that live in tinseltown.

I can easily stand by my post.

Any man can count the seeds in an apple....
.......but only God can count the apples in the seeds.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 13, 2012 - 9:56AM #16
catboxer

I wonder what Betty White would think of my decision.

I'm not voting for Obama; I'm voting for her.

Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 13, 2012 - 1:23PM #17
mainecaptain

May 13, 2012 -- 9:56AM, catboxer wrote:

I wonder what Betty White would think of my decision.

I'm not voting for Obama; I'm voting for her.

I'd vote for her. :)

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 13, 2012 - 1:28PM #18
mainecaptain

If someone does not think Betty White is a national icon they have missed the boat.

There is very little anyone with a rational mind could say against her. She has lived a respectable, compassionate life.

And she is well known throughout the world. She does not flip flop on issues and she does not embarrass the country. If she is not a national icon she sure should be.

If more people behavioured like her the country would be a better place.

And if the only reason anyone can find to insult and rail against her is she likes Obama. Talk about shallow.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 13, 2012 - 2:54PM #19
arielg

An icon is a symbol of something.  It originally had a religious significance.

Entertainers are shallow because they do not live in the world of reality  Their  job is creating    virtual  worlds  and fantasies for people to get lost in and ignore  reality. I suppose people who worship entertainment could see an icon in someone who is good at doing that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 13, 2012 - 3:58PM #20
Unworthyone

Other national icons included Johnny Carson, Bob Hope, John Wayne, George Burns, Mary Tyler Moore, Lucile Ball.  Their politics have nothing to do their iconic status.  And nobody cared what their politics were.

When it comes to someone like Limbaugh, the only reason that anyone even knows his name is because of his politics ... and the fact that he uses the public (yes public) airwaves to spout his venom across America.  Liberals loathe him and his rude, disgusting diatribes against anyone who dares get in his cross hairs.  Conservative politicians live in fear of his wrath, and they don't dare call him out when he slanders anyone with a different opinion. It would be political suicide.

Jon Stewart had a great line recently:  "The difference between Limabaugh and Bill Maher is that the people who listen to Maher know he's an a**hole."

I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.  Thomas Jefferson

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
Albert Einstein

You can get anything you want out of life if you will just help enough other people get what they want. Zig Ziglar

Here's the difference between a capitalist society and a communist society:  Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's the other way around.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook