Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View I really didn't think he would do this until he won his second term...
2 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 4:30PM #1
Druac

www.cnn.com/2012/05/09/politics/obama-sa...

(CNN) -- President Barack Obama, who previously indicated his views were "evolving," said Wednesday that he supports same-sex marriage, raising the political stakes on an issue in which Americans are evenly split.

Now if we can just get him to admit his actual thoughts on legalizing marijuana! :)

Jesus Is My Savior...He Saves Me From REALITY!
---------------------------------------------
We created god in our own image and likeness!
[George Carlin]
"Reason & Logic" - A Damn Good Slogan!
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg, an American physicist
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 4:49PM #2
Cesmom

The way I see it, he had absolutely nothing to lose and absolutely everything to gain by making this move.

He's proven himself to be far too liberal to score any conservative or even moderately conservative votes.  However, he's turned off a lot of liberals by trying to make everybody happy on certain issues.  

He just gained the liberal vote from the liberals who had lost faith in him.

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 5:10PM #3
Druac

May 9, 2012 -- 4:49PM, Cesmom wrote:

The way I see it, he had absolutely nothing to lose and absolutely everything to gain by making this move.

He's proven himself to be far too liberal to score any conservative or even moderately conservative votes.  However, he's turned off a lot of liberals by trying to make everybody happy on certain issues.  

Good point...I didn't think of it that way...maybe I'm not a real liberal after all :) Whatever that actually is.

I always felt he actually did feel this way...I just thought he was too much of a pussy to admit it...or too much of a politician.

Jesus Is My Savior...He Saves Me From REALITY!
We created god in our own image and likeness!
[George Carlin]
"Reason & Logic" - A Damn Good Slogan!
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg, an American physicist
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 5:11PM #4
Ed.W

May 9, 2012 -- 4:49PM, Cesmom wrote:

Yep.  White House internal polls must say he's lost his base.

‘Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.’ --Lao Tzu
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 5:14PM #5
Jasr

I am not sure I agree he has nothing to lose. Black Evangelical voters will certainly be disturbed by this.

I wish he had come out in favor of a universal civil union instrument, proposed making it confer survivor benefits for Federal entitlements, and left the word "marriage" out of the legal conversation altogether.

That would be the best way to guarantee equal rights for all Americans without giving the religious right fodder for their hatemongering.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 5:22PM #6
Cesmom

May 9, 2012 -- 5:14PM, Jasr wrote:

I am not sure I agree he has nothing to lose. Black Evangelical voters will certainly be disturbed by this.

I wish he had come out in favor of a universal civil union instrument, proposed making it confer survivor benefits for Federal entitlements, and left the word "marriage" out of the legal conversation altogether.

That would be the best way to guarantee equal rights for all Americans without giving the religious right fodder for their hatemongering.

I agree the word 'marriage' should be left out of the conversation altogether, but that should apply to heterosexual marriages as well.  In the eyes of the law, we should all have 'civil unions' and leave marriages up to the individual and their church.

Either way, it's nice to see him take a stand on a serious issue instead of being a wish-washy politician about it.

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 5:38PM #7
teilhard

I have ever increasing RESPECT for President Barack O'Bama ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 5:46PM #8
Roodog

Same sex sex is not illegal, neither should same sex marriage be illegal.

Let the same sex folks marry or else start prosecuting them with a vengeance!

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 5:59PM #9
withwonderingawe

The five at five on fox were discussing this.

Beckel was saying it took a lot of courage to do it.

Gutfeld a libertarian was glad he finally did the right things, wish he hadn’t waited so long and told the truth to begin with. Took Beckel to task about saying that most of the Tea Party would be against gay marriage when a lot of the tea party are liberation like himself.

Eric Bolling was asking about the Hispanic vote because most of them will be Catholic and consider marriage a sacred sacrament.

Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 6:48PM #10
Fodaoson

I have a tiny little bitty reservation about “marriage   Family, sexual relations, status of women legitimacy of heirs, etc. have changed from the ancient marriage rituals and traditions. Women are no longer chattel; legitimacy is not a question, DNA/adoption determines parentage; association determines family.  Marriage /civil union confers   civil rights and legal protection,  Civil Union should be the legal state issue and marriage a religious  personal commitment.   I have no interest in same sex sex  or “marriage “.   That is because it not my sexual orientation, but for those people who are  should not  be deprived of civil rights and what they do in the bedroom is none of my concern. Research shows that Same sex couple make good parents, and hav far less child abuse than heterosexual couples and that the children, adopted  or otherwise, are as adjusted and loved as they should be.

I think Obama and every hetero has at least a little of the same difficulty of understanding   what being gay /lesbian is about. 

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook