Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View high rollers and low slurs
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 9:26AM #1
catboxer

This spurious exercise in character assassination by association is funded by the Heartland Institute, a right-wing agitprop mill which spread a lot of Philip Morris's propaganda back in the days when the tobacco giant was disputing the science which documents the health hazards of second-hand smoke.

Guilt by association can be a dangerous game for an outfit whose BFF used to be the world's biggest drug pusher.

The Institute keeps its sources of funding secret, but Exxon-Mobil is known to have kicked in at least $800,000 between '98 and '05, and the omnipresent shadow of the Koch Brothers is discernible in the deep background.

Lots of information on this creepy organization and the creeps whose water they carry is  in the Wikipedia article, s.v. Heartland Institute. I know of no other individual piece of evidence as telling as this particular history to support the charge that reactionary ideology in the US today is completely driven by big bucks.
Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 9:52AM #2
Ed.W

May 6, 2012 -- 9:26AM, catboxer wrote:

the Heartland Institute, a right-wing agitprop mill

The New York Times refers to them as a "Libertarian research center based in Chicago."

It seems you are engaging in "character assassination" and writing "ideology driven propaganda"...you have become what you loathe...when you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

green.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/04/a-new...

Have you got anything I can sink my teeth into?
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 3:02PM #3
nnsecu

Using Wikki as a source is about as reliable as using the National Enquirer. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 7:01PM #4
catboxer

May 6, 2012 -- 3:02PM, nnsecu wrote:

So, what's in the cited article that you think is wrong?

Or do you just have an evidence-free ad-hom?

I'm asking because ad-homs are three for a penny, as they require no effort.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 7:24PM #5
Fodaoson

If you already know something and want some citations, WKI has citations at the end of most articles It is also a good starting point for find material related to a subject or even to find out about a subject.  

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 7:49PM #6
christzen

Nonsense.This is claimed a lot when people dislike what is being said,but things in Wiki are sourced,and debated items are tagged as such.

Or more precisely,what false claims about the Heartland Institute do you find in the Wiki article on them?

I personally think the ad as being fair play.I have no doubt the other side would do as much given the opportunity.I found the quiz on whether quotes were from Al Gore or TK to be interesting.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 11:10PM #7
costrel

No, it is not. Studies have demonstrated that Wikipedia is just as accurate, and sometimes even more accurate, than the Encyclopedia Britannica. (This is something that teachers learn during inservices. And yes, I once thought as you did about Wikipedia, until I learned the results of the research.) The problem with using Wikipedia as a secondary source is that it is an encyclopedia. Encyclopedias are the least authoritative of secondary sources, primarily because they provide general knowledge. The hierarchy of secondary sources, starting with the least authoritative sources that provide general knowledge and ending with the most authoritative sources that provide specialized knowledge, is as follows: a) encyclopedias and websites, b) general-interest magazines and newspapers, c) specialized magazines, d) trade books, e) government documents, f) academic journals, and g) scholarly books, usually published by university presses. So if you really want to use a secondary source that has the most authority, you would want to cite a scholarly book published by a university press. But here on Beliefnet, citing an encyclopedia like Wikipedia or the Encyclopedia Britannica is just fine. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 1:26AM #8
Habala?!

Did the people who made that billboard realize that Ted Kaczynski took the demonizing of "leftists" to levels that make Glenn Beck look like a communist sympathizer?

"When you walk, you might like to take the hand of a child. She will receive your concentration and stability, and you will receive her freshness and innocence." -Tich Naht Hanh
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 12:27AM #9
Ed.W

Wiki's a mess.  I don't read it anymore.  It wasn't a hard habit to break either.

Have you got anything I can sink my teeth into?
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 9:01AM #10
catboxer

May 6, 2012 -- 9:52AM, Ed.W wrote:

May 6, 2012 -- 9:26AM, catboxer wrote:

the Heartland Institute, a right-wing agitprop mill

The New York Times refers to them as a "Libertarian research center based in Chicago."

It seems you are engaging in "character assassination" and writing "ideology driven propaganda"...you have become what you loathe...when you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

green.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/04/a-new...

If you look at the portion of the Wikipedia article entitled "Funding," what you see is a rogues' gallery of this country's looter elite. Except for the "anonymous" donators who don't want their names associated with Heartland's looter-class propaganda, and for good reason.

Follow the money, and it will lead you to the gangsters' hideout.

The last I heard about this (yesterday), the "libertarian research center" is pulling these billboards, which got a bad reception even among some of the people who ordinarily gang with this wingnut agitprop cell.

And no wonder, since the argument they're making here is ridiculous. Kaczynski, being a mathematician, also believes 2 + 2 = 4. Does that mean that anyone who believes the same thing is a mad bomber?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook