Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View high rollers and low slurs
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 9:11AM #11
Jasr

May 6, 2012 -- 9:52AM, Ed.W wrote:

May 6, 2012 -- 9:26AM, catboxer wrote:

the Heartland Institute, a right-wing agitprop mill

The New York Times refers to them as a "Libertarian research center based in Chicago."

Whatever the cautious, staid NYT may have said about Heartland at one time, anyone can see that a serious "research center" does not engage in such lowbrow character assassination by association.

It is precisely because the "research" supposedly debunking the science behind manmade global warming is so sparse and is of such poor quality that Heartland must resort to appeals to baser instincts rather than intellect.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 9:32AM #12
Ed.W

May 8, 2012 -- 9:11AM, Jasr wrote:

May 6, 2012 -- 9:52AM, Ed.W wrote:

May 6, 2012 -- 9:26AM, catboxer wrote:

the Heartland Institute, a right-wing agitprop mill

The New York Times refers to them as a "Libertarian research center based in Chicago."

Whatever the cautious, staid NYT may have said about Heartland at one time, anyone can see that a serious "research center" does not engage in such lowbrow character assassination by association.

It is precisely because the "research" supposedly debunking the science behind manmade global warming is so sparse and is of such poor quality that Heartland must resort to appeals to baser instincts rather than intellect.

It's will be a multi-pronged effort to put an end to the fear-mongering of the Left.  One thing, it is good to remind people of who they are getting into bed with when they buy into dubious science.

It's the left that appeals to base instincts, counting on people to not use their intellect actually, and act based on emotion alone, and to get on a bandwagon. 

I've grown to be a big believer in shaming idiots.  I mean, er, using peer pressure.

‘Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.’ --Lao Tzu
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 10:28AM #13
catboxer

It's the left that appeals to base instincts, counting on people to not use their intellect actually, and act based on emotion alone, and to get on a bandwagon.

Please provide one example -- just one -- of "the left" using "appeals to base instincts" and encouraging people "to act based on emotion alone" in the climate change debate.

I have no idea what research you're referring to, which is "so sparse" and "of such poor quality."

This is the usual MO we get around here. Verdict first and evidence afterward. Except afterward never arrives.

If you can't come up with anything to support your position then you're just another right-wing blowhard. My evidence is the billboard. What do you got?

Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 11:33AM #14
Jasr

May 8, 2012 -- 10:28AM, catboxer wrote:

I have no idea what research you're referring to, which is "so sparse" and "of such poor quality."

Ahem...that was me, Cat. I was referring to science which purports to debunk the growing body of research that confirms that man-made global warming is happening, and which affirms that it is an existential threat.

It is extremely sparse, biased, Exxon-funded, and of extremely poor quality.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 12:12PM #15
catboxer

Sorry, Jasr. I mis-read the snippet, thinking it said the opposite of what it actually says.

I was mistaken.

So I guess now I'm just looking for an example of "the left" appealing to people's emotions and "base instincts." That'll do for now.

Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 12:37PM #16
Jasr

May 8, 2012 -- 12:12PM, catboxer wrote:

So I guess now I'm just looking for an example of "the left" appealing to people's emotions and "base instincts." That'll do for now.

I second the request.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook