Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Palestinian Prisoner Bilal Diab On Day 66 Of Hunger Strike Faints in Court
3 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 6:44PM #1
SherriMunnerlyn

"Hunger striking prisoner Bilal Diab collapsed during a High Court of Justice hearing. The Prison Service disregarded a judicial order to let MK Ahmad Tibi treat him

As Diab was removed from the courtroom, Supreme Court Justice Elyakim Rubinstein said “there is a doctor in the room – MK Ahmad Tibi,” and asked Tibi to check on Diab. However, as Tibi noted in a phone interview, as he went to see Diab, followed by an officer of the Court Guard, Prison Service guards refused him access to the patient. When the Court Guard officer told them Tibi was following a judicial order, the Prison Service officer informed Tibi that he “does not take orders from judges."

After the judges signed a written document signed by all three judges, the Prison Service reluctantly finally allowed MK Tibi to examine the prisoner.  Tibi described Diab’s condition as “very bad.” 

Physicians for Human Rights states. that while Diab is being treated in a hospital, three of his limbs are chained to his bed.

972mag.com/prisoner-on-hunger-strike-col...

Sherri

Moderated by rangerken on May 04, 2012 - 11:34PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 7:07PM #2
SherriMunnerlyn

Amnesty Intl has issued multiple reports about this case and the cases of other Palestinian hunger striking prisoners held under administrative detention and human rights abuses ongoing by Israel in these cases.

This is from an April 27 Amnesty document.

UA: 119/12 Israel  Index: MDE 15/023/2012 Date: 27 April 2012 URGENT ACTION HUNGER STRIKERS DENIED INDEPENDENT DOCTORS

www.amnesty.org/en/library/asset/MDE15/0...

Sherri

Moderated by rangerken on May 04, 2012 - 11:35PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 7:57PM #3
SherriMunnerlyn

Amnesty International tday, on May 4, 2012, issued a call for Urgent Action in the cases of Bilal Diab and Thaer Halahleh, calling on individuals around the world to contact Israeli authorities about Bilal Diab and Thaer Halahleh, two Palestinians men who are at immediate risk of death on their 67th day of hunger strike. Both are being held without charge or trial by Israel.

Amnesty’s call for Urgent Action is in tis linked article.

www.amnestyusa.org/actioncenter/actions/...

Sherri

Moderated by rangerken on May 04, 2012 - 11:36PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 11:54PM #4
rangerken

Here is a current article about this issue.

palestinian-hunger-strikers-appeal-israeli-court

Something that should be discussed is the question of why Israel is responsible if prisoners refuse to eat. as long as food is provided, if the prisoners choose not to eat it, well, that is and ought to be their problem.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 05, 2012 - 8:16AM #5
Dostojevsky

May 4, 2012 -- 11:54PM, rangerken wrote:

Something that should be discussed is the question of why Israel is responsible if prisoners refuse to eat. as long as food is provided, if the prisoners choose not to eat it, well, that is and ought to be their problem.

Ken

Ken, it would be human decency to do something, that is why.

You see a dog dying on a street corner and you take it to the Doctor.

What I read in Sherri's post above that the prison guards  refused to follow Court orders is beyond belief. So who runs the country.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 05, 2012 - 9:34AM #6
LeahOne

Dos, perhaps you can explain how force-feeding a person who's chosen NOT to eat is 'human decency'?

That is, after all, the action you are discussing.  You appear to be suggesting that there's some 'duty' to violate the person's choice and their will?

As to your 'who's running the country' bit o' nonsense - every organization has 'jurisdictional disputes'....there have been incidents in the US where a house burned down while (volunteer) fire departments discussed whose territory it was actually in.  Just because there is some confusion about who has exactly what authority, does not mean a nation is in chaos or given over to evil.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 05, 2012 - 3:48PM #7
rangerken

A dog is not sentient. and a dog operates largely by instinct and eating is instinctive of course. If a peson decides not to eat, that is their decision.

Hunger strikes work only if those in charge allow them to work. If however those in charge make food available, and make sure anyone and everyone sees that food is available, then someone declining to eat is responsible for the results. Now sure, starving ones self to death does make a political statement. But so does committing suicide in more...explosive...ways. Anyway, if someone wants to commit suicide I don' see how or why it is the responsibiliy of others to stop them...even though I think suicide if stupid, except in cases of a terminal, painful illness.

So I am not sympathetic at all with the hunger strikers.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 05, 2012 - 4:19PM #8
BDboy

Ken

>>>>>>RK,

I do not think any fair minded person would blame Israel for someone who decided not to eat. However that is NOT the main point here.

The real question is how Israel just goes out and round up people like cattle and put them in prison. How they are treated and torturted by simply wanting to live in freedom from occupation.

Man's thirst for freedom from bondage is "Natural" and one can blame Israel for occupation in the west bank and Gazza.

The way non-Jews are treated is simply abusive and disturbing.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 05, 2012 - 4:32PM #9
BDboy

May 5, 2012 -- 3:48PM, rangerken wrote:

A dog is not sentient. and a dog operates largely by instinct and eating is instinctive of course. If a peson decides not to eat, that is their decision.

Hunger strikes work only if those in charge allow them to work. If however those in charge make food available, and make sure anyone and everyone sees that food is available, then someone declining to eat is responsible for the results. Now sure, starving ones self to death does make a political statement. But so does committing suicide in more...explosive...ways. Anyway, if someone wants to commit suicide I don' see how or why it is the responsibiliy of others to stop them...even though I think suicide if stupid, except in cases of a terminal, painful illness.

So I am not sympathetic at all with the hunger strikers.

Ken

>>>>>>>> From non-violent Gandhi (Of India), Mandela of South Africa, Anna Hajare of India or other people who use this method to protest against unjust situation has SOME causes behind it.

No one gets up in the morning and say I am not going to eat for no reason. Almost 99.99% of the people who prefer to protest non-violently use this method as a symbol to protest.

It is obvious that, the prisoner in Israel had a genuine cause to protest and devoted himself to his cause.

It seems you are just talking about "cover of the book" but refuse to read what's in the book.

I have heard these style of argument from Rush Limbaugh but not from people who are capable of understanding issues behind such protests. In fact most people encourage such non-violent protests (Including myself!).

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 06, 2012 - 3:25AM #10
NahumS

May 5, 2012 -- 4:19PM, BDboy wrote:

Ken

>>>>>>RK,

I do not think any fair minded person would blame Israel for someone who decided not to eat. However that is NOT the main point here.

The real question is how Israel just goes out and round up people like cattle and put them in prison. How they are treated and torturted by simply wanting to live in freedom from occupation.

The way non-Jews are treated is simply abusive and disturbing.

How indeed are non-Jews treated?

Are random Arabs being "rounded up" and imprisoned? Have these people been tortured? You are making some extreme and unsubstantiated allegations. It is simple libel.

First of all, no one is rounded up. Even in cases of administrative detention, there is  a significant connection with a crime - usually, individuals are arrested whe there are significant reasons to assume that they are involved in illegal, often clandestine activity. It's not a particularly democratic practice - it originated with the British and remained on the Israeli law books. And it is used against Jews as well - usually the extreme right, when there is suspicion that they are planning something violent. The information comes from intelligence work, and the claim is that a formal criminal indictment would mean revealing sources. I am uncomfortable with this practice.

The prisoners have access to medical care. This is not the issue. They are using a hunger strike to  gain political power.

I don't think that this is a moral position - suicide, quick or gradual, is not morally acceptable. But in some cases, especially if we are talking about terrorists, I don't really care.

I can understand that Arabs feel that they are being ruled over by others against their will, and want their own state.  There are any number of non-violent methods of protest - and ostensibly, the PA is involved in peace negotiations to change the status-quo. Oh I forgot - they won't sit down at the table to negotiate until Israel gives them what they want......

It is disengenuous to speak of non-violent protest when the Arabs have chosen terror as their main mans of achieving their goals.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook