Switch to Forum Live View Newt Rides Off into the Sunset, Still Talking through His Hat
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 6:45PM #1
Mostyn32

Newt Gingrich pulled the plug on his debt-plagued bid for the GOP nomination today, and while he didn't exactly bad-mouth Romney, he wasn't exactly enthusiastic about the apparent nominee.

As the New York Times put it (rightly, in my opinion): "(But) if Americans have learned anything about Mr. Gingrich in the year since he jumped into the Republican presidential contest, it is that he craves the spotlight. And so the House-speaker-turned-professional-pundit-turned-candidate seized what may be his last opportunity for this kind of attention. Standing behind a “Newt 2012” lectern, Mr. Gingrich explained his departure and his political philosophy, and — eventually, sorta-kinda — endorsed Mitt Romney. “I’m asked sometimes, is Mitt Romney conservative enough?” Mr. Gingrich said toward the end of a 25-minute departure speech. “Compared to Barack Obama? This is a choice between Mitt Romney and the most radical, leftist president in history.”

Gingrich has said some dumb things in his campaign for the nomination (my favourite is the idea of moon colonization), but to refer to Obama as "the most radical, leftist president in history” makes me realize that Gingrich, like so many of his fellow-Americans, wouldn't recognize a genuine radical leftist if one came up behind him and bit him on the butt!

And where is it written that being "conservative enough" is any qualification for the top job? From where I sit, it's those who were and are "conservative enough" who got the US and several of the states into the financial mess they are in. Shoot, even "conservative enough" Gingrich can't manage money, judging by his campaign debts! 

"God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say aright."  from 'A Learned Discourse on Justification', a sermon by Richard Hooker (1554-1600).
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 7:19PM #2
Fodaoson

Modern American political conservatism, like modern American political liberalism, is an empty façade.  They have bought the label in hopes of fooling some people.

You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. Abraham Lincoln, (attributed)

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 7:29PM #3
Druac

May 3, 2012 -- 7:19PM, Fodaoson wrote:

Modern American political conservatism, like modern American political liberalism, is an empty façade.  They have bought the label in hopes of fooling some people.

You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. Abraham Lincoln, (attributed)

+1

I don't think there is such thing as a real liberal or a real conservative any longer, at least not what I always thought of in terms of those two opposites...particularly in the form of a politician!

Jesus Is My Savior...He Saves Me From REALITY!
---------------------------------------------
We created god in our own image and likeness!
[George Carlin]
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 7:42PM #4
Mostyn32

May 3, 2012 -- 7:29PM, Druac wrote:

May 3, 2012 -- 7:19PM, Fodaoson wrote:

+1

I don't think there is such thing as a real liberal or a real conservative any longer, at least not what I always thought of in terms of those two opposites...particularly in the form of a politician!

I believe that your statement about real conservatives and liberals, at least in the US context, is apposite, Druac.  What I see looming large on the US political landscape is reactionaries (incorrectly labelled 'conservatives') and centrists (incorrectly labelled 'liberals'). And none of the labels really matter, anyway, since elections are controlled by and paid for by PACs and SuperPACs, vested interests in the military/industrial complex and other powermongers. Abe Lincoln's "government of the people, by the people, for the people" has indeed "faded from the earth" - at least, in the US. Until policy and ideas rise above labels, the US political scene will continue to be a wasteland.

"God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say aright."  from 'A Learned Discourse on Justification', a sermon by Richard Hooker (1554-1600).
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 7:50PM #5
catboxer

It's kind of sad, really.

What will we do now for comic relief?

Mitt's kinda funny sometimes, but only in the way of a Brady Bunch rerun.

Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 8:07PM #6
Fodaoson

May 3, 2012 -- 7:50PM, catboxer wrote:

It's kind of sad, really.

Mitt's kinda funny sometimes, but only in the way of a Brady Bunch rerun.

Yes it is sad in a way. But remember this ;”You won't have Nixon to kick around anymore, because, gentlemen, this is my last press conference.”  RMN November 7, 1962

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 1:13AM #7
nnsecu

Listen to people explain why Obama deserves a second term, that is some of the funniest stuff anyone has ever heard.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 8:01PM #8
Druac

May 4, 2012 -- 1:13AM, nnsecu wrote:

Listen to people explain why Obama deserves a second term, that is some of the funniest stuff anyone has ever heard.

For me any way, it has nothing to do with whether or not he "deserves" it...it has MUCH more to do with what my other choice is…and the policies that it represents.

Even more to the point…In reality and in my honest opinion, there isn't a SINGLE career politician that "deserves" to be in office right now.

Jesus Is My Savior...He Saves Me From REALITY!
---------------------------------------------
We created god in our own image and likeness!
[George Carlin]
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 05, 2012 - 11:36AM #9
catboxer

It was a very strange primary season altogether for the Republicans, who began with a crowded field of nine candidates, five of whom emerged leading the pack at one time or another. First it was Michele Bachmann, who opened her mouth thereby depth-charging her candidacy, then Rick Perry, ditto, then Herman Cain who was found to have more money than sense, and finally Gingrich, before the party faithful came around to accepting Mittens as a fait accompli, and their density for 2012.

Newt's run was sort of tragic from the beginning, and reminds one of the brave, bold, and unconventional military campaign of Otto, the Palatine of Kleinlichen-Schwanaufkleber, who in 1818 led his army of 1,500 men against the combined armies of Prussia, Russia, Austria, and Montenegro, numbering over 50,000, at the Battle of Plotz in Moravia.

He was soundly defeated.

Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 05, 2012 - 2:09PM #10
mainecaptain

May 4, 2012 -- 1:13AM, nnsecu wrote:

If you don't know the answer. You haven't been paying attention. Or you've been watching too much fox

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook