Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Here's how we could save $4 billion a year
3 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 4:48PM #11
amcolph

May 3, 2012 -- 3:36PM, Bodean wrote:

Add that $4 Billion to the $8 Billion spent on free cell phones in SSI ...

We're up to a 12 Billion cut.

Let's see just how many billions we can cut without touching the Big Entitlements and Military.

Eight billion for cell phones?  You've got a source for that?

This post contains no advertisements or solicitations.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 4:51PM #12
Fodaoson

The IRS does not make tax policy only executes it.  The credits are a result of congressional action ant IRS is applying the law.       

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 4:52PM #13
Cesmom

May 3, 2012 -- 4:51PM, Fodaoson wrote:

The IRS does not make tax policy only executes it.  The credits are a result of congressional action ant IRS is applying the law.       

If what they claim in the story is true, it sounds like the IRS is refusing to investigate abuses of the tax policy.  That is the problem.

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 4:57PM #14
Cesmom

May 3, 2012 -- 4:48PM, amcolph wrote:

Let's see just how many billions we can cut without touching the Big Entitlements and Military.

I'm not sure where Bodean got the 8 billion count, but I did find a reliable source talking about a planned comprehensive overhaul of the program.  It mentions "Changes to eliminate waste, fraud, and abuse, saving up to $2 billion over 3 years", so the total program costs must be at least in the billions per year.  

www.lifeline.gov/

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 6:26PM #15
SecondSonOfDavid

May 3, 2012 -- 4:52PM, Cesmom wrote:

May 3, 2012 -- 4:51PM, Fodaoson wrote:

If what they claim in the story is true, it sounds like the IRS is refusing to investigate abuses of the tax policy.  That is the problem.

Unless, as I said, the media got it wrong [again!] and is just making noise because it's a better story than the facts.

The IRS has a lot of enforcement agents.  And they are REALLY good at chasing crooks.  

That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 6:33PM #16
Druac

May 3, 2012 -- 3:43PM, Cesmom wrote:

May 3, 2012 -- 3:33PM, SecondSonOfDavid wrote:

May 3, 2012 -- 3:18PM, Cesmom wrote:

Undocumented workers have been taking advantage of a loophole called the Additional Child Tax Credit, a fully-refundable credit of up to $1,000 per child that was intended to help working families with children living at home. Not only are they claiming children within the U.S., they are also claiming children in Mexico.

Read more: dailycaller.com/2012/04/30/irs-loophole-...

Wow...two million undocumented workers getting refunds based on fraudulent tax returns, and the IRS refuses to address the problem.  This is disturbing.  

www.wthr.com/video?autoStart=true&topVid...

Grain of salt time.

1.  If these people are illegal aliens, how are they able to file taxes?

2.  On what basis do you know the returns are "fraudulent"?  

As noted in the story, they are able to file returns using their "individual taxpayer identification number", which was created by the IRS to ensure that illegals were paying taxes.  There are several examples of fraudulent returns noted in the story as well.

I would assume that is a drop in the bucket compared to what corporations and citizens do in "cheating" the system...no doubt about it. Should it be addressed? Not before the asinine tax system is...in my honest opinion. Simplify the tax system and get rid of ALL the loopholes and ways that are easy to cheat and this goes away along with what I am sure is far worse in terms of citizens and corporations.

Jesus Is My Savior...He Saves Me From REALITY!
---------------------------------------------
We created god in our own image and likeness!
[George Carlin]
"Reason & Logic" - A Damn Good Slogan!
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg, an American physicist
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 7:30PM #17
Fodaoson

May 3, 2012 -- 6:33PM, Druac wrote:

May 3, 2012 -- 3:43PM, Cesmom wrote:

May 3, 2012 -- 3:33PM, SecondSonOfDavid wrote:

May 3, 2012 -- 3:18PM, Cesmom wrote:

Undocumented workers have been taking advantage of a loophole called the Additional Child Tax Credit, a fully-refundable credit of up to $1,000 per child that was intended to help working families with children living at home. Not only are they claiming children within the U.S., they are also claiming children in Mexico.

Read more: dailycaller.com/2012/04/30/irs-loophole-...

Wow...two million undocumented workers getting refunds based on fraudulent tax returns, and the IRS refuses to address the problem.  This is disturbing.  

www.wthr.com/video?autoStart=true&topVid...

Grain of salt time.

1.  If these people are illegal aliens, how are they able to file taxes?

2.  On what basis do you know the returns are "fraudulent"?  

As noted in the story, they are able to file returns using their "individual taxpayer identification number", which was created by the IRS to ensure that illegals were paying taxes.  There are several examples of fraudulent returns noted in the story as well.

I would assume that is a drop in the bucket compared to what corporations and citizens do in "cheating" the system...no doubt about it. Should it be addressed? Not before the asinine tax system is...in my honest opinion. Simplify the tax system and get rid of ALL the loopholes and ways that are easy to cheat and this goes away along with what I am sure is far worse in terms of citizens and corporations.

What loop holes you going to get rid of? Loopholes like the number of dependents, Mortgage interest payment, Standard deductions, deductions for local and state taxes paid, medical expenses in excess of 15% of income, deductions for income from state and municipal  bonds?

I just completed an IRS issue that arose  because of my filing electronically and did no attach t in supporting documents. The IRs wanted $1200 more in taxes. With two phone calls and a fax sent from my home printer/computer, I settled the issue.  The IRS  has pretty  good investigators, but using legitimate dedications is not fraud

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 8:38PM #18
amcolph

May 3, 2012 -- 4:57PM, Cesmom wrote:

I'm not sure where Bodean got the 8 billion count, but I did find a reliable source talking about a planned comprehensive overhaul of the program.  It mentions "Changes to eliminate waste, fraud, and abuse, saving up to $2 billion over 3 years", so the total program costs must be at least in the billions per year.  

www.lifeline.gov/

I gather they are working with the FCC to find those recipients who already have a phone and eliminate them from the program.  I don't know why it is so expensive.  A Tracphone like the ones they are being given costs $39.95 (that's what I paid for mine) but it seems like a good idea.

Try getting a land line with a bad credit rating, or none.

Try finding a pay phone.

Try getting a job without a telephone number.

This post contains no advertisements or solicitations.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 9:03PM #19
Fodaoson

May 3, 2012 -- 8:38PM, amcolph wrote:

May 3, 2012 -- 4:57PM, Cesmom wrote:

www.lifeline.gov/

I gather they are working with the FCC to find those recipients who already have a phone and eliminate them from the program.  I don't know why it is so expensive.  A Tracphone like the ones they are being given costs $39.95 (that's what I paid for mine) but it seems like a good idea.

Try getting a land line with a bad credit rating, or none.

Try finding a pay phone.

Try getting a job without a telephone number.

Good points

Some have exaggerated the cost  the phone industr5y pays the cost by collecting a USF ‘Take a look at the Universal Service Fee on any mobile phone or landline bill. “This is a program that is funded by you and I, those people who have cell phones, use cell phones or landlines,” Cummings says.

The government program is administered by the Federal Communications Commission, and it’s exploding. Originally created in 1984 to provide 9-1-1 cell service to people in rural areas, there are now currently 12.5 million lifeline accounts in the U.S., more than 200,000 in Massachusetts. The total cost to fund the program across the country has more than tripled in the last decade to $1.6 billion dollars… the program is funded by the telecommunications industry, but the cost is passed on to paying phone customers.

Take a look at the Universal Service Fee on any mobile phone or landline bill. “This is a program that is funded by you and I, those people who have cell phones, use cell phones or landlines,” Cummings says.

A review of the lifeline program released last month found serious fraud and abuse. Hundreds of thousands of phones were given to people who don’t qualify, and multiple phones were given to people who signed up with multiple carriers.

Providers, who make money on every subscriber, have been accused of forging applications, sending out unsolicited phones, and even handing phones out from trunks of cars.

A report from the FCC shows that out of 3.6 million customer records examined, 292,000 had to be de-enrolled because they were receiving duplicate service, a move that saved $35 million a year from people scamming the system. The FCC expects the reforms to continue to save up to $2 billion over the next three years.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 10:43PM #20
Bodean

www.marketwire.com/press-release/Everybo...

I mean .. you really don't think I make this stuff up do you??

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook