Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Taliban Kill 7 in Afghan Capital after Obama Leaves
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 9:22AM #1
Girlchristian
**Please note, I am NOT blaming these deaths on Obama or his visit. Smile

news.yahoo.com/taliban-kill-7-afghan-cap...

The Taliban struck back less than two hours after President Barack Obama left Afghanistan on Wednesday, targeting a foreigners' housing compound with a suicide car bomb and militants disguised as women in an assault that killed at least seven people.

It was the second major assault in Kabul in less than three weeks and highlighted the Taliban's continued ability to strike in the heavily guarded capital even when security had been tightened for Obama's visit and Wednesday's anniversary of the killing of al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden in neighboring Pakistan.

At this vist, Obama and Karzai signed an agreement that will allow the U.S. to keep troops in Afghanistan at least through 2024, but in a more limited capacity and specifically for training Afghan troops and for targeted operations against al-Qaida. Obama also vowed to ask Congress for money for Afghanistan every year. The article points out that the killings right after Obama left sends the message that any reform in Afghanistan is going to be difficult (duh) and maybe impossible. So, the question remains: do we stay in Afghanistan or do we just get out? What are our real (i.e., non partisan, non ideological) options at this time?

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 9:32AM #2
teilhard

I am not optimistic about the Future of Afghanistan ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 11:12AM #3
Girlchristian

May 2, 2012 -- 9:32AM, teilhard wrote:

Agreed. I'd be willing to bet that Obama isn't either, but he can't really say that in his role.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 11:14AM #4
teilhard

I do not envy him his Tasks and Historic Responsibilities ...

May 2, 2012 -- 11:12AM, Girlchristian wrote:

May 2, 2012 -- 9:32AM, teilhard wrote:

Agreed. I'd be willing to bet that Obama isn't either, but he can't really say that in his role.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 11:17AM #5
TENAC
Then we agree this was a campaign speech.

And it was a heckuva speech.
Any man can count the seeds in an apple....
.......but only God can count the apples in the seeds.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 11:18AM #6
TENAC
Historic responsibilities?
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 11:31AM #7
TENAC
But still, you have to consider had Obama not made a production about the anniversary of the killing of bin Laden on Afghan soil, would there have been a reaction resulting in death?
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 11:50AM #8
teilhard

Reparing EIGHT years of Damage done by "Dubya," Cheney, et al. ...

May 2, 2012 -- 11:18AM, TENAC wrote:

Historic responsibilities?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 12:07PM #9
catboxer

Obama pulled off a neat disappearing trick in his little speechette last night.

He identified the enemy and the reason we're over there as al Qaida, and said nothing about the Taliban.

This was pretty clever, since al Qaida is a dying organization and the Taliban is going to win in Afghanistan. Anybody who thinks about this war for more than two seconds knows this.

The reason they're going to win is because they live there and we don't.

Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 12:16PM #10
Nepenthe

May 2, 2012 -- 11:50AM, teilhard wrote:

Reparing EIGHT years of Damage done by "Dubya," Cheney, et al. ...

Continuing indefinite detentions of supspected individuals, drone bombing of individuals who are not even identified, execution of US citizens without due process, the reauthorization of the Patriot Act, the escalation of the 'State Secrets' argument used in court, the shielding of every high ranking individual from the previous administration from any investigation, the crackdown on whistleblowers...

That is one heck-of-a repair job he is doing.

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook