Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View MayDay Protests Turn Violent
3 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 5:42PM #1
Ironhold

Note that this is MSN who is reporting this.

Seattle - vandalism is rampant, as numerous buildings and vehicles have had their windows smashed out by individual Occupy protestors; tires have also reportedly been slashed. one of the people who had his car vandalized was a Canadian citizen, meaning that Occupy Seattle is now about to incur an International brow-beating

Oakland - protestors have been pounding on bank windows and going face-first with local police officials. This appears to be part of a larger effort to shut the entire city down.

So yeah - at least two chapters of the Occupy movement are now in the process of embarassing the larger organization.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 7:32PM #2
Druac

They need to stand for something other than anarchy. Protesting is one thing, vandalism and obstruction is another all together, in my honest opinion. Two wrongs don’t make a right, and all that jazz.

Occupy This!

We need to get serious about changing our government and wrenching the control from the corporations and filthy rich, but in my honest opinion, this is not the way to do it…and Occupy has done nothing but embarrass itself over and over again.

Jesus Is My Savior...He Saves Me From REALITY!
---------------------------------------------
We created god in our own image and likeness!
[George Carlin]
"Reason & Logic" - A Damn Good Slogan!
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg, an American physicist
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 8:03PM #3
catboxer

Seattle Times reporters on the scene today say "May Day protests turned violent early Tuesday afternoon as a cluster of about 50 demonstrators dressed in black and carrying poles smashed windows and clashed with police in the downtown Seattle retail core."

seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews...

Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 9:03PM #4
Bodean

Waiting for Ted ... and the waving of hands.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 12:36AM #5
rangerken

I'm sorry anyone got hurt and also I'm sorry about trashed businesses. BUT, I am very happy that the OWS types have once again shown that...

1. they are immature, amateur, anachists.

2. they are far, far differen from the law abiding tea party folks.

3. they obviously WANT to give the Repubicans a great campaign issue to use in the fall...well, I'm sure they don't, but that's the net effect.

4. and since in my state, Massachusetts, the Democratic candidate for senator running against Scott Brown, Liz Warren, has been a vocakl supporter of the OWS people, this will hurt her and make it even less likely that she will win in the fall. YEA!  (Brown supporter here obviously).

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 1:49AM #6
davelaw40

why would the OWS even want to identify themselves with the far left and the International workers movement? Don't they know that middle America identifies May Day with streams of Russian Tanks parading through the Soviet Bloc?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Work...

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 8:45AM #7
catboxer

The Seattle Times reports this morning that there were "spasms of violence" punctuating the "mostly peaceful" protests downtown yesterday. Still, it was a bad show in Seattle yesterday, especially early on.

seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews...

Most of the violence was vandalism of the broken-windows type, directed mostly against financial institutions. Now, there's no question in my mind that NikeTown deserved to have its windows busted and its store trashed, but at the same time doing that is a very bad idea, because it causes the protesters to lose the one battle they have to win -- the battle of the mass media.

If a movement like #OWS is to overcome the tyranny of the corporate bottom line and dictatorship of money, it will have to use force, just as Gandhi's followers did, and just as the civil rights people did 20 and 30 years later in the US. Repressive regimes will only yield ground under the pressure of force, since they can't be persuaded and they have no concscience people can appeal to.

But the force must be applied with great restraint and self-control. If the insurgents resort to violence, then they lose the battle of the media, and then it's checkmate and lights out.

My advice to the 50 or so people who split off from the main demonstration yesterday to break stuff is to control your vessel. It may feel good to resort to violence, and of course Bank of America has it coming.

I'd be in favor of it too, if I thought it would do any good.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 8:54AM #8
Nepenthe

The Mayday protests turned violent before they even began:

NYPD Celebrates May Day

Think about what just happened, here. On a day strongly associated with the old Soviet bloc, armed government agents staged early morning raids on the homes of suspected political dissidents, detained them, then interrogated them about their plans and political affiliations. And of course this isn’t the first time this has happened. There were similar preemptive raids ahead of the 2008 RNC convention in Minneapolis. Almost none of the charges resulting from those raids stuck, and the city has since been handing out settlement checks like parade candy.

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 9:14AM #9
ZafodB

and this says it all

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 9:36AM #10
catboxer

Don't be silly. Who worries about rape at the Menopause Manor retirement village?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook