Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Olympics website: Jerusalem capital of ‘Palestine’
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 9:29AM #1
rocketjsquirell
An innocent mistake?

Olympics website: Jerusalem capital of ‘Palestine’
By JONNY PAUL JERUSALEM POST CORRESPONDENT
05/01/2012 02:21
Organizers of 2012 London Olympic Games apologized after website left Israel without capital.

Organizers of the 2012 London Olympic Games have apologized after its official website left Israel without a capital while naming Jerusalem as the capital city of a country that does not yet exist, blaming “incorrect data input.”
. . .
The site also listed the US dollar as Palestine’s currency, even though the shekel is the accepted currency in the Palestinian Authority.
. . .
“We have amended the information on our website and we apologize for any offense caused,” the (Olympic) spokesman said.

In the country profiles for Israel and Palestine, which can be found in the Europe and Asia section respectively, both the section for capital cities and currency have now disappeared.

full article
www.jpost.com/International/Article.aspx...

Given the fact that the error has not been corrected, I do not believe that it was an innocent mistake.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 8:58AM #2
Dostojevsky

There has to be some legal requirement and therefore acknowledgment among the world community about such matters. If that has already happened it should be acknowledged if not, go legal channells to achieve it.

Untill then it is not an innocent mistake or a mistake, It just simply is not on the map.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 2:00PM #3
BDboy

May 1, 2012 -- 9:29AM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

An innocent mistake?

Olympics website: Jerusalem capital of ‘Palestine’
By JONNY PAUL JERUSALEM POST CORRESPONDENT
05/01/2012 02:21
Organizers of 2012 London Olympic Games apologized after website left Israel without capital.

Organizers of the 2012 London Olympic Games have apologized after its official website left Israel without a capital while naming Jerusalem as the capital city of a country that does not yet exist, blaming “incorrect data input.”
. . .
The site also listed the US dollar as Palestine’s currency, even though the shekel is the accepted currency in the Palestinian Authority.
. . .
“We have amended the information on our website and we apologize for any offense caused,” the (Olympic) spokesman said.

In the country profiles for Israel and Palestine, which can be found in the Europe and Asia section respectively, both the section for capital cities and currency have now disappeared.

full article
www.jpost.com/International/Article.aspx...

Given the fact that the error has not been corrected, I do not believe that it was an innocent mistake.

>>>>>>>> I am not in a position to know if this was an "Innocent" mistake or not. However Jerusalem has many claims on it. No one should "Force" their rights on others. NO ONE!!

It is "Disputed area" and once it is settled, we can sort it out. May be this will motivate fanatical wing of Israeli government to sort things out with other parties (Muslims, Christians and Jews).

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 2:39PM #4
rocketjsquirell

BDboy

It is a false dispute. The one and only reason that Arabs have claimed Jerusalem for any reason whatsoever is that it happens to be the capital of Israel and they refuse to accept Israel.

For 1400 years Jerusalem had near zero significance in the Arab world. It became important only in 1967 when it was re-unified. 

Even if there were a legitimate dispute, there is only one country which exists and which claims Jerusalem as its capital and which governs its lands from its capital in Jerusalem. That country is Israel.

The London Olympic Committe has now removed information concerning capital cities and currency from all of its country listings.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 3:32PM #5
BDboy

May 2, 2012 -- 2:39PM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

BDboy

It is a false dispute. The one and only reason that Arabs have claimed Jerusalem for any reason whatsoever is that it happens to be the capital of Israel and they refuse to accept Israel.

For 1400 years Jerusalem had near zero significance in the Arab world. It became important only in 1967 when it was re-unified. 

>>>>>>>> I am sorry to say you are FACTUALLY wrong. Maybe this "Speech" will sell with people who have no clue of the ME.

Jerusalem is not only important to Arabs but ALSO very important to global Muslim population. Until Israel took over the city, it was a popular "Tradition" for many Muslims to visit Jerusalem first before they head for Mecca and Medina for Hajj pilgrimage.

Jerusalem has a spiritual bond with 1.7 BILLION strong global Muslim population no one can deny.

I have never said Jews do not have any history in Jerusalem but many Jewish people try to distort  truth by denying Islamic root to the holy city of Jerusalem. In fact Christians, Muslims and Jews have roots in this "Unique" City.

The first Muslims used to pray facing Jerusalem before they started facing Mecca in later years. Need I say more?

Shalom!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 5:22PM #6
rocketjsquirell

BDboy

The Arab argument is made in bad faith.

History proves that Arabs really did not care much for the city.

History proves that Jerusalem was all but meaningless to Muslims.

The only reason Arabs care about the palce today is because it is the captial of Israel.

The one and only reason Mohamed initially prayed towards Jerusalem (if he ever did so) was to try and attract Jewish converts. when he was unsuccesful he turned his back on Jerusalem and slaughtered the Jews who did not accept him as a prophet.

Muslims turn their back on Jerusalem when they pray.

Muslim turn their rear ends to the  site of the Temple and show their feet to the site of the Temple when they pray.  Need I say more?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 02, 2012 - 11:42PM #7
Miraj

May 2, 2012 -- 5:22PM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

BDboy

The Arab argument is made in bad faith.

History proves that Arabs really did not care much for the city.

History proves that Jerusalem was all but meaningless to Muslims.

The only reason Arabs care about the palce today is because it is the captial of Israel.

The one and only reason Mohamed initially prayed towards Jerusalem (if he ever did so) was to try and attract Jewish converts. when he was unsuccesful he turned his back on Jerusalem and slaughtered the Jews who did not accept him as a prophet.

Muslims turn their back on Jerusalem when they pray.

Muslim turn their rear ends to the  site of the Temple and show their feet to the site of the Temple when they pray.  Need I say more?

I think the ignorance of the Jew haters has your ear.  They're the ones who have disrespected the tradition of Jerusalem in Muslim history.  Your complaint is with them, not with BDBoy or I.  Now that more Muslims are not compromising to avoid Jerusalem to serve a political purpose, the evidence of its revered place in Islam will become more obvious to you and to others who have been mislead.

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 9:17AM #8
rocketjsquirell

Miraj

Jerusalem became "revered" by Muslims in 1967 when it became politically expedient to do so. Whether that "reverence" continues when it is no longer politicaly expedient remains to be seen. Frankly, I doubt that it will

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 2:35PM #9
Miraj

May 3, 2012 -- 9:17AM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

Miraj

Jerusalem became "revered" by Muslims in 1967 when it became politically expedient to do so. Whether that "reverence" continues when it is no longer politicaly expedient remains to be seen. Frankly, I doubt that it will

Not so, but I understand how you can believe that because, since 1967, there has been an internal political tug of war over how to relate to Jerusalem as Muslims.  It's another case of whether to relent to the Palestinian cause or to please God.  More and more Muslims are choosing to please God and let Him take care of Palestine.

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 2:48PM #10
rocketjsquirell

Miraj

How do you account for the fact that before 1967 - when portions of Jerusalem were occupied by Jordan, not a single Arab Muslim political leader visited Jerusalem,  Muslim religious leaders did not visit Jerusalem, no schools were established, nothing! (except, of course, for the destruction of Synagogues, Jewish Schools, and Jewish cemetaries including Mt. Olive). How do you account for the desolation and the centuries of abandonment of Jerusalem by the Muslim world?  When places and things are important, resources are devoted to them. Muslims had the resources to devote to Jerusalem and chose not to do so. The conclusion is obvious.   

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook