Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 12:33PM #1
ted08721
It is called the working class Labor Day, no wonder it isn't officially celebrated in the United States

www.alternet.org/story/155182/may_day\'s...

I will try to make it into D.C. for the event, I will at least try to avoid going shopping in any stores not even a 711.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 12:45PM #2
catboxer

I'll have everything I need that day laid in already. Don't plan to do much except take a walk around my neighborhood, Upper PhinneyWood.

May 1 is a good day for contemplation or gardening.

Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 8:25PM #3
k-bearsmom

...or dancin' around a Maypole?

Just sayin'

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 9:11PM #4
catboxer

Apr 29, 2012 -- 8:25PM, k-bearsmom wrote:

...or dancin' around a Maypole?

Just sayin'

That's a pagan fertility ritual, but that's OK with me I guess.

I don't remember ever wrapping the Maypole when I was a little tyke in the early grades, but I saw it done.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 12:25PM #5
ted08721

It does not take much effort to get involved with May Day, and there are plenty of reasons to get involved.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSnBJSiPaRo&feat...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 9:02AM #6
ZafodB

Typical of the owsie crowd

abcnews.go.com/US/day-protest-banks-whit...

nuff said

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 9:09AM #7
Find1Answer

Police initially suggested the suspicious envelopes could have been mailed by militants from within the Occupy Wall Street movement, but a spokesman for Occupy Wall Street denied any connection to the mailings, saying the NYPD was making a false assumption. 

so not nuff said,  for all you know the FBI sent them or enabled those that did,  that seems to be the MO these days.

Bush's "de-Bathification program" eliminated all vestiges of Sunni power in Iraqi society and set the stage for the Sunni insurrection against American occupation and the new Shiite-led government. Bush disbanded the entire Sunni-dominated Iraqi Army and bureaucracy. He didn't change it. He didn't make it more inclusive of Shiites and Kurds. He just disbanded it. It is no accident that two of the top commanders of today's ISIL are former commanders in the Saddam-era Iraqi military.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 11:19AM #8
catboxer

Happy Mayday everyone.

Today is a good day not to work, if you can get away with it. It's also a good day to eschew consumerism, and avoid buying anything. You can use a small, pocket eschewer to eschew each purchase 32 times (SJ Perelman, "The Strange Case of Philip Forceps").

Instead of working and shopping, it would be a good day to walk over to the village green and watch local virgins festively entwining that old pagan fertility symbol, the Mayday phallus, with ribbons of brightly-colored crepe.

Or maybe you'd prefer to stay home and do something domestic, like making gay potholders out of your husband's old socks.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 11:30AM #9
k-bearsmom

You truly do make me smile Cat....and I thank you for thatKiss

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 11:34AM #10
Roodog

I like having Labor Day in September. Maybe it goes back to my school days. Summer break started with Memorial Day and ended with Labor Day. It was the last bit of free time before returning back to the grind of school.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook