Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 4:56PM #11
Roodog

Apr 29, 2012 -- 12:57PM, catboxer wrote:

Roodog, I have to disagree. It takes the kind unity and determination that are rarely seen, but change can come from below.

It has to come by force.

India's people under Gandhi's leadership forced the British to quit India.

American blacks under ML King's leadership forced the US government to recognize and legally extend equal rights to all Americans.

The key concepts, precariously balanced, are force and nonviolence.

That only works if the ruling class has a conscience. Nowadays I see a trend where ruthless and relentless suppression will become standard operational procedure. Mind you, some of the people would like to cull 70-90% of the  world population to reach sustainability and optimum control. They are completely confortable with rubbing out 5 or 6 billion people.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 7:02PM #12
christzen

Apr 29, 2012 -- 4:00PM, catboxer wrote:

Your characterization of the protesters is as inaccurate as it is nervous. If you saw any of the photos of the mass protests in NYC last September and October, you may have noticed that quite a few of the protesters were people my age.

You know, people who are old enough to be mistaken for tea partiers straight out of Beckistan, but have enough sense not to go there.

LOL.Nothing nervous in my reaction,just wishful thinking on your part.I'm certainly not a rich guy threatened by unemployed gamers.And I realize there are some old hippies mixed in with the gamers trying to relive the glory days of the 60's.That will end for most of them if and when they realize that causing economic turmoil will affect their social security payments.

As I said,revolution will not come from the soft,spoiled youth of America.And it is delusional to think it will.And it certainly won't come from senior citizens looking forward to retirement,whose retirement funds will come from the same system you expect them to overthrow.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 9:15PM #13
catboxer

Apr 29, 2012 -- 7:02PM, christzen wrote:

I realize there are some old hippies mixed in with the gamers trying to relive the glory days of the 60's.That will end for most of them if and when they realize that causing economic turmoil will affect their social security payments.

Oh Christzen, you kidder. You actually do know who's causing the economic turmoil in this economy, don't you?

Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 9:40PM #14
christzen

Apr 29, 2012 -- 9:15PM, catboxer wrote:

Apr 29, 2012 -- 7:02PM, christzen wrote:

I realize there are some old hippies mixed in with the gamers trying to relive the glory days of the 60's.That will end for most of them if and when they realize that causing economic turmoil will affect their social security payments.

Oh Christzen, you kidder. You actually do know who's causing the economic turmoil in this economy, don't you?

Oh,I suppose everyone has an opinion of who's causing it,always based upon ones political POV,of course.But the point is that you are expecting a combo of spoiled 20 somethings living off their parents, and senior citizens dependent upon pensions,stocks,and SS to revolt against the system.The former are incapable of anything requiring sweat,independence,and sacrifice.The latter have a vested interest in the system being there for their golden years.

Good luck with that combination.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 10:02PM #15
catboxer

Have you ever thought about showing up at one of these occasions and seeing who's out there?

There are lots of different kinds of people out there, predominantly young. And if you spoke with many of them you might even find out how much misery is abroad in the land.

Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 7:45AM #16
christzen

Apr 29, 2012 -- 10:02PM, catboxer wrote:

Have you ever thought about showing up at one of these occasions and seeing who's out there?

There are lots of different kinds of people out there, predominantly young. And if you spoke with many of them you might even find out how much misery is abroad in the land.

Misery in the US is relative.I have a friend who has steadfastly refused to buy his teenage daughter a cell phone.She complains she is the ONLY person in town (about 800 people) without one,and probably is.She is "miserable" and "deprived",by current teenage standards.Poor people who can only buy what is allowed by the food stamps,don't have a new car,don't have unlimited data on their cell phones,don't have a stock portfolio,and can't afford a 2000 sq ft house are "miserable",by US standards.

People in the US have no idea what true misery is.Don't expect revolution from 20 somethings that think being denied HBO by their parents who are paying their bills ,and having to "survive" on basic cable is "misery".

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 7:35PM #17
Druac

Apr 30, 2012 -- 7:45AM, christzen wrote:

Misery in the US is relative.I have a friend who has steadfastly refused to buy his teenage daughter a cell phone.She complains she is the ONLY person in town (about 800 people) without one,and probably is.She is "miserable" and "deprived",by current teenage standards.Poor people who can only buy what is allowed by the food stamps,don't have a new car,don't have unlimited data on their cell phones,don't have a stock portfolio,and can't afford a 2000 sq ft house are "miserable",by US standards.

People in the US have no idea what true misery is.Don't expect revolution from 20 somethings that think being denied HBO by their parents who are paying their bills ,and having to "survive" on basic cable is "misery".

From my POV and experience, I would have to agree 100% with christzen observations here. I have been saying this myself for some time...it will take something VERY UGLY to get poeple to wake up from their gluttonous and selfish stupor...you know, REAL MISERY and all…that will FORCE survival instincts and FORCE some to realize they MUST sacrifice to survive, much less make things better for the future.

I have lost most of my hope that people (the numbers it would take) will step up and sacrifice for the future generations...without something horrible happening first.

Jesus Is My Savior...He Saves Me From REALITY!
---------------------------------------------
We created god in our own image and likeness!
[George Carlin]
"Reason & Logic" - A Damn Good Slogan!
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg, an American physicist
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 9:33PM #18
Roodog

Misery? Try having the Fedfuzz knocking on your door at 3 or4 AM.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook