Post Reply
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Coming Soon! A Hospital Closing Near You!
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 10:18AM #1
TENAC
Posts: 23,890
Welcome to the ACA!  Thank you barrak obama!

Folks, understand while you are sleeping at night the ACA is going into effect.  Much to the joy of the Left, and to the chagrin of the Right.

Ok, so now a purely arbitrary patient survey is going to account for 30% of the effect on your local hospital losing Medicare dollars.  Sounds great!?  Now it is more retail where you can look on a website, see a hospital patient survey indicating their satisfaction.

Well it hurt.
Oh I thought they would never get me to the restroom.
The food was horrible.
They got me up the next day after my surgery and made me walk.
They kept sticking me with needles.
My scar is horrible.
etc
etc
etc

HEY!  IDIOT!  You just had surgery!  You would rather go to hosptial where they dont use needles, PT meithods, etc, and DIE?  At least you would die happy?

These are the kind of irrelevant things that will drive people (quality people) out of health care and close down hospitals.  You will see ever increasing lines for surgery after Oct 31.

Finally, we get to be just like Canada!!! 






Hospitals sharpen focus on patient satisfaction


With surveys set to affect payment by Medicare, hospitals hone focus

Any man can count the seeds in an apple....
.......but only God can count the apples in the seeds.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 10:37AM #2
MysticWanderer
Posts: 1,322

Apr 27, 2012 -- 10:18AM, TENAC wrote:

Welcome to the ACA!  Thank you barrak obama!

Folks, understand while you are sleeping at night the ACA is going into effect.  Much to the joy of the Left, and to the chagrin of the Right.

Ok, so now a purely arbitrary patient survey is going to account for 30% of the effect on your local hospital losing Medicare dollars.  Sounds great!?  Now it is more retail where you can look on a website, see a hospital patient survey indicating their satisfaction.

Well it hurt.
Oh I thought they would never get me to the restroom.
The food was horrible.
They got me up the next day after my surgery and made me walk.
They kept sticking me with needles.
My scar is horrible.
etc
etc
etc

HEY!  IDIOT!  You just had surgery!  You would rather go to hosptial where they dont use needles, PT meithods, etc, and DIE?  At least you would die happy?

These are the kind of irrelevant things that will drive people (quality people) out of health care and close down hospitals.  You will see ever increasing lines for surgery after Oct 31.

Finally, we get to be just like Canada!!! 






Hospitals sharpen focus on patient satisfaction


With surveys set to affect payment by Medicare, hospitals hone focus





Yeah, it really is unreasonable to expect the hospitals to pay attention to letting patients know why they are on a given medication and its side effects.  It is ridiculous to pay closer attention to patient safety.  As far as the ludicrous complaints you list above 1,4 and 5 show ignorance by the patient of why procedures were done, 2 shows a real need, try soiling your bed and laying there (I have), 3 shows a need to beef up food service and 6 is the surgeon's problem because they don't blame hospitals for the scar they blame the surgeon (I know I am one).  At worst 1% of their payments will be affected by these surveys, a small price to pay to get greater patient satisfaction and no, hospitals will not be shutting their doors over this.

"Not all who wander are lost" J.R.R.Tolkein
You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. ~Anne Lamott
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain."
Friedrich von Schiller
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 10:50AM #3
TENAC
Posts: 23,890

Apr 27, 2012 -- 10:37AM, MysticWanderer wrote:


Apr 27, 2012 -- 10:18AM, TENAC wrote:

Welcome to the ACA!  Thank you barrak obama!

Folks, understand while you are sleeping at night the ACA is going into effect.  Much to the joy of the Left, and to the chagrin of the Right.

Ok, so now a purely arbitrary patient survey is going to account for 30% of the effect on your local hospital losing Medicare dollars.  Sounds great!?  Now it is more retail where you can look on a website, see a hospital patient survey indicating their satisfaction.

Well it hurt.
Oh I thought they would never get me to the restroom.
The food was horrible.
They got me up the next day after my surgery and made me walk.
They kept sticking me with needles.
My scar is horrible.
etc
etc
etc

HEY!  IDIOT!  You just had surgery!  You would rather go to hosptial where they dont use needles, PT meithods, etc, and DIE?  At least you would die happy?

These are the kind of irrelevant things that will drive people (quality people) out of health care and close down hospitals.  You will see ever increasing lines for surgery after Oct 31.

Finally, we get to be just like Canada!!! 






Hospitals sharpen focus on patient satisfaction


With surveys set to affect payment by Medicare, hospitals hone focus





Yeah, it really is unreasonable to expect the hospitals to pay attention to letting patients know why they are on a given medication and its side effects.  It is ridiculous to pay closer attention to patient safety.  As far as the ludicrous complaints you list above 1,4 and 5 show ignorance by the patient of why procedures were done, 2 shows a real need, try soiling your bed and laying there (I have), 3 shows a need to beef up food service and 6 is the surgeon's problem because they don't blame hospitals for the scar they blame the surgeon (I know I am one).  At worst 1% of their payments will be affected by these surveys, a small price to pay to get greater patient satisfaction and no, hospitals will not be shutting their doors over this.




I take your point.


But 30% of the survey?  There are hospitals that are literally Medicare hospitals.  It will close them down.


There are better ways to get improvement in this area than an arbitrary patient survey.

Any man can count the seeds in an apple....
.......but only God can count the apples in the seeds.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 11:49AM #4
MysticWanderer
Posts: 1,322

Apr 27, 2012 -- 10:50AM, TENAC wrote:


Apr 27, 2012 -- 10:37AM, MysticWanderer wrote:


Apr 27, 2012 -- 10:18AM, TENAC wrote:

Welcome to the ACA!  Thank you barrak obama!

Folks, understand while you are sleeping at night the ACA is going into effect.  Much to the joy of the Left, and to the chagrin of the Right.

Ok, so now a purely arbitrary patient survey is going to account for 30% of the effect on your local hospital losing Medicare dollars.  Sounds great!?  Now it is more retail where you can look on a website, see a hospital patient survey indicating their satisfaction.

Well it hurt.
Oh I thought they would never get me to the restroom.
The food was horrible.
They got me up the next day after my surgery and made me walk.
They kept sticking me with needles.
My scar is horrible.
etc
etc
etc

HEY!  IDIOT!  You just had surgery!  You would rather go to hosptial where they dont use needles, PT meithods, etc, and DIE?  At least you would die happy?

These are the kind of irrelevant things that will drive people (quality people) out of health care and close down hospitals.  You will see ever increasing lines for surgery after Oct 31.

Finally, we get to be just like Canada!!! 






Hospitals sharpen focus on patient satisfaction


With surveys set to affect payment by Medicare, hospitals hone focus





Yeah, it really is unreasonable to expect the hospitals to pay attention to letting patients know why they are on a given medication and its side effects.  It is ridiculous to pay closer attention to patient safety.  As far as the ludicrous complaints you list above 1,4 and 5 show ignorance by the patient of why procedures were done, 2 shows a real need, try soiling your bed and laying there (I have), 3 shows a need to beef up food service and 6 is the surgeon's problem because they don't blame hospitals for the scar they blame the surgeon (I know I am one).  At worst 1% of their payments will be affected by these surveys, a small price to pay to get greater patient satisfaction and no, hospitals will not be shutting their doors over this.




I take your point.


But 30% of the survey?  There are hospitals that are literally Medicare hospitals.  It will close them down.


There are better ways to get improvement in this area than an arbitrary patient survey.





It is 30% of the score but as thae article quotes, "Patient ratings will affect 30 percent of a hospital’s fate, and measuring clinical quality will determine 70 percent. Depending on the results, hospitals could lose 1 percent of Medicare payments and have to earn that money back by improving performance over the next cycle."  If a hospital is so close that 1% even of total income over one cycle will close them down, they have bigger problems.

"Not all who wander are lost" J.R.R.Tolkein
You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. ~Anne Lamott
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain."
Friedrich von Schiller
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 3:00PM #5
Jasr
Posts: 10,265

Oh get a clue, TENAC.


First of all, as has already been pointed out, the financial impact of the quality indicators and the patient satisfaction indicators combined is on only 1% of Medicare reimbursement. Maybe you should have read your article instead of breathlessly posting it.


The quality incentives have been in place for several years and they account for 70% of the 1%. I know this because my team implemented the code that allowed our patient safety department to report on the quality indicators for my medical center. They actually improved reimbursement slightly for us.


And secondly, you have no idea what the survey questions are or what the methodology is. I guess you expected us to believe your ridiculous caricature.


If the measures are as reasonable as the quality measures, good hospitals have absolutely nothing to worry about.


You are so desperate to slam health care reform that you look really silly. Sorry...there is no other way to put it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2012 - 12:41PM #6
TENAC
Posts: 23,890

Apr 27, 2012 -- 3:00PM, Jasr wrote:


Oh get a clue, TENAC.


First of all, as has already been pointed out, the financial impact of the quality indicators and the patient satisfaction indicators combined is on only 1% of Medicare reimbursement. Maybe you should have read your article instead of breathlessly posting it.


The quality incentives have been in place for several years and they account for 70% of the 1%. I know this because my team implemented the code that allowed our patient safety department to report on the quality indicators for my medical center. They actually improved reimbursement slightly for us.


And secondly, you have no idea what the survey questions are or what the methodology is. I guess you expected us to believe your ridiculous caricature.


If the measures are as reasonable as the quality measures, good hospitals have absolutely nothing to worry about.


You are so desperate to slam health care reform that you look really silly. Sorry...there is no other way to put it.




Oh I get clues daily from CMS on implementation of ACA. 


You and your team are a dingleberry created by unnecessary implementation of the ACA.  There will be hundreds, THOUSANDS, likely hundreds of thousands of jobs created by ACA.  I can safely guess 95% of them will have NOTHING to do with actual health care.  Do you doubt that?


But somehow you are going to justifiy that.  These will be government jobs, expanding government soley and doing NOTHING for health care.   Geez start with the additon of 15,000 brand new IRS agents!   Wow!  15,000 government officials making damn sure you have what the government has determined is good for you AND making sure you pay for it or they will fine you more.


And you think this is a good thing?



Best guess is 12 million  have no access or way to get health care in the US.  So we are creating a $1.2 TRILLION program calling it the ACA to get them coverage.


Wouldnt it make more sense to give them each a $1 billion?



Hospitals in our area are hiring additional staff now making sure patients are happy.  Explaining pharma to them as if they understand. Explaining to them how happy they are.  It would make sense to me that hospitals would be better off to offer incentives to patients for a good report.  Give us an "A" and we'll deduct $1000 dollar from your bill.  $500 for a "B".


And all of this is being done against the will of the American people.



And after all is said and done, the improvement to health care in the US will not improve but go down.


Take that back to your team and after 2016 they will say to others, "wow, Jas was a genius."



And hospitals will close.  It will be a few at first, by 2020 1/3 of the hosptials  in the country will be shut down.

Any man can count the seeds in an apple....
.......but only God can count the apples in the seeds.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 9:10AM #7
Unworthyone
Posts: 1,955

Apr 28, 2012 -- 12:41PM, TENAC wrote:


And hospitals will close.  It will be a few at first, by 2020 1/3 of the hosptials  in the country will be shut down.




TENAC, as pointed out, you look silly.  The truth is as long as there are patients and doctors there will be hospitals.  And the fact that hospitals now have a small incentive to improve their customer service is no reason to go into your Chicken Little routine.

I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.  Thomas Jefferson

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
Albert Einstein

You can get anything you want out of life if you will just help enough other people get what they want. Zig Ziglar

Here's the difference between a capitalist society and a communist society:  Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's the other way around.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 9:11AM #8
TENAC
Posts: 23,890

Apr 29, 2012 -- 9:10AM, Unworthyone wrote:


Apr 28, 2012 -- 12:41PM, TENAC wrote:


And hospitals will close.  It will be a few at first, by 2020 1/3 of the hosptials  in the country will be shut down.




TENAC, as pointed out, you look silly.  The truth is as long as there are patients and doctors there will be hospitals.  And the fact that hospitals now have a small incentive to improve their customer service is no reason to go into your Chicken Little routine.




I never said there would not be hospitals.  Just fewer of them.


One of the reasons for waiting lists in Canada is lack of facilities.  That is where we are heading .



On the upside (from a liberal perspective), we will spend less on health care.

Any man can count the seeds in an apple....
.......but only God can count the apples in the seeds.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 10:37AM #9
Jasr
Posts: 10,265

Apr 28, 2012 -- 12:41PM, TENAC wrote:


Oh I get clues daily from CMS on implementation of ACA. 


You and your team are a dingleberry created by unnecessary implementation of the ACA. 




My team predates the Clinton administration. We are responsible 7X24 for systems that keep patients alive. We implemented the CMS client for our quality assurance providers with four man hours of work, and they have improved our reimbursement by tens of thousands thanks to their ability to report quality measures that put us above benchmark.


Apr 28, 2012 -- 12:41PM, TENAC wrote:


There will be hundreds, THOUSANDS, likely hundreds of thousands of jobs created by ACA.  I can safely guess 95% of them will have NOTHING to do with actual health care.  Do you doubt that?




I sincerely doubt that. As I have said we have already implemented half of this several years ago, with existing resources, and not many of them. If you are not aware that medical centers have permanent Quality Assurance and IT staff, you are very uninformed about health care.


Apr 28, 2012 -- 12:41PM, TENAC wrote:


But somehow you are going to justifiy that.  These will be government jobs, expanding government soley and doing NOTHING for health care.   Geez start with the additon of 15,000 brand new IRS agents!   Wow!  15,000 government officials making damn sure you have what the government has determined is good for you AND making sure you pay for it or they will fine you more.




Wow...you got all that from one article about quality measures?


Apr 28, 2012 -- 12:41PM, TENAC wrote:


And you think this is a good thing?



Best guess is 12 million  have no access or way to get health care in the US.  So we are creating a $1.2 TRILLION program calling it the ACA to get them coverage.


Wouldnt it make more sense to give them each a $1 billion?




Wait...a few months ago, you were claiming that any indigent person could walk into an emergency room and get a hip replacement! Where did those 12 million people come from all of a sudden?


Apr 28, 2012 -- 12:41PM, TENAC wrote:


Hospitals in our area are hiring additional staff now making sure patients are happy.  Explaining pharma to them as if they understand. Explaining to them how happy they are.  It would make sense to me that hospitals would be better off to offer incentives to patients for a good report.  Give us an "A" and we'll deduct $1000 dollar from your bill.  $500 for a "B".




Do you have a source for this?


Boy are your hospitals badly managed. Patient education and patient satisfaction have been part of our providers' jobs for years.


Apr 28, 2012 -- 12:41PM, TENAC wrote:


And all of this is being done against the will of the American people.


And after all is said and done, the improvement to health care in the US will not improve but go down.


Take that back to your team and after 2016 they will say to others, "wow, Jas was a genius."


And hospitals will close.  It will be a few at first, by 2020 1/3 of the hosptials  in the country will be shut down.




We are in no danger of going under because patients might be surveyed as an additional quality measure which will affect .3% of our CMS reimbursement. In fact, as we are a high-quality and patient focused medical center it might help us, and I am sure we will welcome it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 11:06AM #10
Unworthyone
Posts: 1,955

Apr 30, 2012 -- 9:11AM, TENAC wrote:


Apr 29, 2012 -- 9:10AM, Unworthyone wrote:


Apr 28, 2012 -- 12:41PM, TENAC wrote:


And hospitals will close.  It will be a few at first, by 2020 1/3 of the hosptials  in the country will be shut down.




TENAC, as pointed out, you look silly.  The truth is as long as there are patients and doctors there will be hospitals.  And the fact that hospitals now have a small incentive to improve their customer service is no reason to go into your Chicken Little routine.




I never said there would not be hospitals.  Just fewer of them.


One of the reasons for waiting lists in Canada is lack of facilities.  That is where we are heading .



This argument is debunked in none other than the Journal of the Canadian Medical Association.  These are doctors who, using actual scientific methods, have determined that perception is not always reality.  But what will we trust, our own political bias or some snobby scientists who use words too big to understand?


The Canadian debate about access to care, and waiting lists in particular, is characterized by disturbing chasms between widely held views and research evidence. This disjunction appears to be the product of a number of factors, including lack of standard approaches to measurement and reporting of waiting-list lengths and waiting times and a general ignorance (or disregard) of the effects of competing approaches to managing waiting lists in Canada and abroad. It points strongly to the need for a better infrastructure for information about waiting lists in Canada.


I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.  Thomas Jefferson

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
Albert Einstein

You can get anything you want out of life if you will just help enough other people get what they want. Zig Ziglar

Here's the difference between a capitalist society and a communist society:  Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's the other way around.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook