Page 3 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Mad Cow in California
3 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 10:02PM #21
teilhard

Yes ... Growing ALL of your OWN Food is even better -- but not practical in most of The World today ...

Apr 26, 2012 -- 9:56PM, mountain_man wrote:

Apr 26, 2012 -- 9:39PM, Fodaoson wrote:

When was the last time our FOOD SUPPLY caused  major epidemic?   Most of our “ Bad food “ problems occur at the consumer level caused by bad sanitation , sloppy prep and cooking at home and in restaurants . Salmonella, botulism and E coli  can be prevented by careful washing and cooking.

There have been a few E. coli outbreaks in the last few years; a few involving beef tainted in the manufacturing process, and a whole bunch of outbreaks involving VEGETABLES!

The moral is the story is; if you want safe food beef is the best choice.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 10:22PM #22
Marcion

Apr 26, 2012 -- 5:15PM, rabello wrote:

It's like anything else: fleas, cockroaches, mice...if you find one, then in all likelihood there's more than the one, possibly a lot more.   And in spite of those who insist that America's meat supply is absolutely safe because it is inspected, the truth is they don't inspect every single animal, they test samples, and not always from every batch of slaughtered cows.   They've done what they can to make it safer -- just like "Homeland Security" -- but the finding isn't as benign as some -- those in the cattleman's association, the FDA, the meat producers and fast food marketereers -- would have us believe.

Agree.

I hope all the FDA sycophants enjoy their genetically altered food, arsenic chicken, e-coli spinach and tomatoes, etc etc. etc.

The fact the FDA keeps our food safe is almost as stupid as GWB kept us safe - what a laugh.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 10:47PM #23
mountain_man

Apr 26, 2012 -- 10:22PM, Marcion wrote:

I hope all the FDA sycophants enjoy their genetically altered food, arsenic chicken, e-coli spinach and tomatoes, etc etc. etc.

I love that "genetically altered food" BS. Not one person has been able to show there is any kind of harm from eating GMOs - mostly because there is none in our food system. No one has been able to show any potential harm. They just mindlessly repeat the mythinformation fed to them. It's also funny that most of the foods we eat have been genetically modified by selection and manipulation.

The fact the FDA keeps our food safe is almost as stupid as GWB kept us safe - what a laugh.

Yet you have no evidence that our food is unsafe, just a long whine about the FDA.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 11:13PM #24
teilhard

"Food Safety" -- as with almost EVERYTHING in Real Life -- is not an all-or-nothing Deal ... MOST of our Food is MOSTLY "safe" MOST of the Time ...

Apr 26, 2012 -- 10:22PM, Marcion wrote:

Apr 26, 2012 -- 5:15PM, rabello wrote:

It's like anything else: fleas, cockroaches, mice...if you find one, then in all likelihood there's more than the one, possibly a lot more.   And in spite of those who insist that America's meat supply is absolutely safe because it is inspected, the truth is they don't inspect every single animal, they test samples, and not always from every batch of slaughtered cows.   They've done what they can to make it safer -- just like "Homeland Security" -- but the finding isn't as benign as some -- those in the cattleman's association, the FDA, the meat producers and fast food marketereers -- would have us believe.

Agree.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2012 - 1:28AM #25
solfeggio

And I repeat: Asking the simple question as to how much beef Americans eat is neither rude nor off-topic.

It's a fair question.

And it has everything to do with whether or not the average American sitting down to a steak or hamburger is at risk for CJD.

Getting defense about the whole thing is what is off-topic.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2012 - 9:26AM #26
teilhard

My Family doesn't eat much Beef ... It is Part of one of our Family Meals only a couple Times per Month.

Moderated by Merope on Apr 29, 2012 - 01:48PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2012 - 1:53PM #27
rabello

Apr 28, 2012 -- 1:28AM, solfeggio wrote:

And it has everything to do with whether or not the average American sitting down to a steak or hamburger is at risk for CJD.

Technocrats would say there is no risk, and even go as far as to blame the victim for their misfortune.  But it's like every other deadly thing in social darwinistic America, whether it be death due to gunshot, death due to unsafe vehicles, death due to unsafe foods -- all of which COULD be handled if we so desired -- if it's you or your loved ones who gets "taken out" then it's a tragedy....if it's someone else or someone else's loved ones then it's so sad/too bad, probably their own fault (generic "you" and "yours").

Moderated by Merope on Apr 29, 2012 - 01:52PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2012 - 7:35PM #28
solfeggio

Rabello -

I thank you for that post! 

I really do wonder if the average American has to wonder about the safety of the beef s/he's eating, and if the Food and Drug Administration is playing straight when they say there's nothing to worry about.

Just how many cows really are checked before they are slaughtered?  And by whom?  Is the person doing the checking sufficiently trained to know if a cow is at risk? 

According to one source I found, 100,000 cows are slaughtered every day for food in the U.S.  How could anybody possibly check each and every cow?

And, if the government tests the brains of thousands of slaughtered cows, and they do find mad cow disease on some of those brains, how could they guarantee that the meat from those cows had not long since gone into the food chain and been eaten by people?

Symptoms of Creutzfeldt-Jakob resemble those of other dementia-type diseases like Alzheimer's.  How does anyone know for sure that the disease hasn't already been spread?

Moderated by Merope on Apr 29, 2012 - 01:53PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2012 - 7:40PM #29
teilhard

No ... The Transmissable Spongiform Encephalopathies are not like "Alzheimers" ...

Apr 28, 2012 -- 7:35PM, solfeggio wrote:

Rabello -

I thank you for that post!  

I really do wonder if the average American has to wonder about the safety of the beef s/he's eating, and if the Food and Drug Administration is playing straight when they say there's nothing to worry about.

Just how many cows really are checked before they are slaughtered?  And by whom?  Is the person doing the checking sufficiently trained to know if a cow is at risk? 

According to one source I found, 100,000 cows are slaughtered every day for food in the U.S.  How could anybody possibly check each and every cow?

And, if the government tests the brains of thousands of slaughtered cows, and they do find mad cow disease on some of those brains, how could they guarantee that the meat from those cows had not long since gone into the food chain and been eaten by people?

Symptoms of Creutzfeldt-Jakob resemble those of other dementia-type diseases like Alzheimer's.  How does anyone know for sure that the disease hasn't already been spread?

Moderated by Merope on Apr 29, 2012 - 01:54PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2012 - 8:10PM #30
mountain_man

Apr 28, 2012 -- 7:35PM, solfeggio wrote:

....Symptoms of Creutzfeldt-Jakob resemble those of other dementia-type diseases like Alzheimer's.

No, it does not. Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy is a deterioration of the brain in cattle. It in no way resemples the amyloid beta plaque build up of Alzheimer's. BSE is a prion disease. Study up on that and you'll see why it hasn't been spread. You'll also find out that CJD is unrelated to BSE.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook