Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Mad Cow in California
3 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 2:04PM #11
arielg
Apr 26, 2012 -- 11:41AM, Marcion wrote:

Why do we continue to put up with the FDA's incompetence in protecting our food supply?

I don't see where the incompetence is here.  Didn't they catch it before it became a problem, like they are supposed to do?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 3:22PM #12
teilhard

The Question ISN'T "What did they catch (this Time) ... ???" but rather, "What do they MISS ... ???" The FDA Inspectors themselves admit that they are quite under-staffed ..

Apr 26, 2012 -- 2:04PM, arielg wrote:

Apr 26, 2012 -- 11:41AM, Marcion wrote:

Why do we continue to put up with the FDA's incompetence in protecting our food supply?

I don't see where the incompetence is here.  Didn't they catch it before it became a problem, like they are supposed to do?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 5:15PM #13
rabello

It's like anything else: fleas, cockroaches, mice...if you find one, then in all likelihood there's more than the one, possibly a lot more.   And in spite of those who insist that America's meat supply is absolutely safe because it is inspected, the truth is they don't inspect every single animal, they test samples, and not always from every batch of slaughtered cows.   They've done what they can to make it safer -- just like "Homeland Security" -- but the finding isn't as benign as some -- those in the cattleman's association, the FDA, the meat producers and fast food marketereers -- would have us believe.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 6:59PM #14
solfeggio

So, just how much beef does the average American consume in a year?

www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/m...

According to the above link, it used to be about 65 lbs a year.  Apparently, Americans are eating a lot more chicken than they used to.

But wait, there's more:

www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/22/us-us...

According to the Reuters piece, U.S. beef consumption is down 13% from ten years ago. 

pdf.reuters.com/pdfnews/pdfnews.asp?i=43...

Whether worries about mad cow disease will cause a further decline remains to be seen.

But this piece from Common Dreams should be required reading for everyone who eats beef:

www.commondreams.org/view/2012/04/26-1

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 7:33PM #15
arielg

Apr 26, 2012 -- 6:59PM, solfeggio wrote:

So, just how much beef does the average American consume in a year?

www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/m...

According to the above link, it used to be about 65 lbs a year.  Apparently, Americans are eating a lot more chicken than they used to.

But wait, there's more:

www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/22/us-us...

According to the Reuters piece, U.S. beef consumption is down 13% from ten years ago. 

pdf.reuters.com/pdfnews/pdfnews.asp?i=43...

Whether worries about mad cow disease will cause a further decline remains to be seen.

But this piece from Common Dreams should be required reading for everyone who eats beef:

www.commondreams.org/view/2012/04/26-1

On the other hand, Brazil's and China's consumption of meat has grown tremendously. Brazil is up to 94 KILOS per year.

So, unfortunately, I do not really see a world trend towards less consumption of meat. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 7:45PM #16
solfeggio

Yes, and I think this New York Times piece from a few years ago says it all:

www.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/weekinreview/...

As they point out, global demand for meat has multiplied in recent years, and per capita consumption of meat has more than doubled.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 9:39PM #17
Fodaoson

Apr 26, 2012 -- 10:41AM, Marcion wrote:

If a majority of Americans boycotted beef , for even a short time,you would see a dramatic change for the better in our food supply. 

My wife and I don't eat red meat so this is a moot point for us.

When was the last time our FOOD SUPPLY caused  major epidemic?   Most of our “ Bad food “ problems occur at the consumer level caused by bad sanitation , sloppy prep and cooking at home and in restaurants . Salmonella, botulism and E coli  can be prevented by careful washing and cooking.

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 9:49PM #18
mountain_man

Apr 26, 2012 -- 10:41AM, Marcion wrote:

Why do you imagine this "incompetence"? For what purpose? It's obvious they are working because they found this case BEFORE it got close to the food supply.

If a majority of Americans boycotted beef , for even a short time,you would see a dramatic change for the better in our food supply.

Actually, if we got rid of brain dead Regressives that want to get rid of the FDA, and replace it with nothing, our food supply would be much safer. It's the Regressives we need to boycott, not the beef industry that supplies us with quality beef. The Regressives see the FDA as an undue burden on big business. They want nothing to stop unsavory businessmen from putting tainted beef on the market.

My wife and I don't eat red meat so this is a moot point for us.

That doesn't help your argument any.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 9:50PM #19
mountain_man

Apr 26, 2012 -- 6:59PM, solfeggio wrote:

So, just how much beef does the average American consume in a year?...

As much as they want.

Moderated by Merope on Apr 29, 2012 - 01:44PM

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 9:56PM #20
mountain_man

Apr 26, 2012 -- 9:39PM, Fodaoson wrote:

When was the last time our FOOD SUPPLY caused  major epidemic?   Most of our “ Bad food “ problems occur at the consumer level caused by bad sanitation , sloppy prep and cooking at home and in restaurants . Salmonella, botulism and E coli  can be prevented by careful washing and cooking.

There have been a few E. coli outbreaks in the last few years; a few involving beef tainted in the manufacturing process, and a whole bunch of outbreaks involving VEGETABLES!

The moral is the story is; if you want safe food beef is the best choice.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook