Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Mad Cow in California
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 7:02PM #1
solfeggio

A case of mad cow disease has been discovered in California.

www.voanews.com/english/news/usa/USDA-Co...

The US Department of Agriculture has confirmed that this is the fourth case of bovine spongiform encephalopathy in the U.S. and the first since 2006.

The spokesman for the Department of Agriculture says 'not to worry,' but two of South Korea's biggest meat retailers have stopped shipments of U.S. beef nevertheless.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17821764

On the other hand, a California meat exporter says it's business as usual:

www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/25/us-us... idUSBRE83O1FI20120425 

But, still, Russia has not ruled out restricting beef exports from the U.S. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 7:37PM #2
teilhard

Muscle Meat is not a Problem ... The infectious Element (a "Prion") is confined to The Central Nervous System (Brain) ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 9:12PM #3
Stardove

I heard this news last night about the "mad cow".  Here we go again!  Can't help but say I am glad I do not eat meat, that way I don't have to wonder about myself anyway. 

There are plenty of meat eaters in my family though. Undecided

Wouldn't a major issue be cattle who are infected would need to be destroyed?

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 9:25PM #4
teilhard

The Problem is that Spongiform Encephalopathies don't show up in a simple Blood Test or in a routine Physical Exam ... Onset is insidious (gradual) and there is a long Latency Period ... Definitive Diagnosis can be made only by Biopsy or at Autopsy ... By the Time the Disease is suspected, it is already far advanced ...

The bottom Line is:  DO  NOT  EVER  EAT  "Brains"  from ANY Species ... And IF some good Friend or a Relative gifts you with some "Deer Sauasage"  DO  NOT  EAT  ANY  OF  IT  as you don't know for sure is the Brain and Spinal Cord were incoporated or not ...

Prion Diseases are no Joke and are not yet really well understood ... SOME Authorities loudly assert that Prion Diseases do NOT jump from one Species to another, but there are Indications otherwise ...

Apr 25, 2012 -- 9:12PM, Stardove wrote:

I heard this news last night about the "mad cow".  Here we go again!  Can't help but say I am glad I do not eat meat, that way I don't have to wonder about myself anyway. 

There are plenty of meat eaters in my family though.

Wouldn't a major issue be cattle who are infected would need to be destroyed?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 10:16PM #5
mountain_man

Apr 25, 2012 -- 7:02PM, solfeggio wrote:

A case of mad cow disease has been discovered in California.

No big deal. Prion diseases pop up once in awhile. This isolated case was caught well before the animal got close to our food production. And, just think... the Regressive Republicans want to do away with programs like this. They believe it is an undue burden on business. They'd rather spend our money on wars instead of on making sure our food is safe.

So, again, this is no big deal. It does show that the system for making sure our food is safe is working.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 10:18PM #6
mountain_man

...Wouldn't a major issue be cattle who are infected would need to be destroyed?

No. This is an isolated incident. No other cattle were involved. All cattle are checked for prion disease (aka "mad cow disease") before it enters the food chain.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 10:43PM #7
teilhard

Yes ... But "Prions" may be present WITHOUT Signs (as yet) of frank Disease ... 

So  DO  NOT  EVER  eat any "Brains"  (of ANY Species) ...

Apr 25, 2012 -- 10:18PM, mountain_man wrote:

...Wouldn't a major issue be cattle who are infected would need to be destroyed?

No. This is an isolated incident. No other cattle were involved. All cattle are checked for prion disease (aka "mad cow disease") before it enters the food chain.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 10:22AM #8
mytmouse57

The cows are mad because we're eating them. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 10:41AM #9
Marcion

Why do we continue to put up with the FDA's incompetence in protecting our food supply?

If a majority of Americans boycotted beef , for even a short time,you would see a dramatic change for the better in our food supply. 

My wife and I don't eat red meat so this is a moot point for us.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 10:43AM #10
teilhard

I agree that FDA Inspections are WAY under-funded ... So far we've mostly been LUCKY to have had so few Problems ...

BUT ... Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy appears NOT to be a significant Problem in The USA, especially now that Cattle Feed Protocols have been improved ... Stick to "Red Meat," AVOID "Brains," and you'll be okay ... for now ...

Apr 26, 2012 -- 10:41AM, Marcion wrote:

Why do we continue to put up with the FDA's incompetence in protecting our food supply?

If a majority of Americans boycotted beef , for even a short time,you would see a dramatic change for the better in our food supply. 

My wife and I don't eat red meat so this is a moot point for us.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook