Page 4 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Mad Cow in California
3 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2012 - 11:27PM #31
christzen

Apr 28, 2012 -- 8:10PM, mountain_man wrote:

Apr 28, 2012 -- 7:35PM, solfeggio wrote:

....Symptoms of Creutzfeldt-Jakob resemble those of other dementia-type diseases like Alzheimer's.

No, it does not. Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy is a deterioration of the brain in cattle. It in no way resemples the amyloid beta plaque build up of Alzheimer's. BSE is a prion disease. Study up on that and you'll see why it hasn't been spread. You'll also find out that CJD is unrelated to BSE.

vCJD is most certainly related to BSE.

Moderated by Merope on Apr 29, 2012 - 01:54PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2012 - 11:34PM #32
teilhard

Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease IS a "Prion" Disease, but it appears to be "Familial" in Character rather than a strictly TRANSMISSABLE Prion Disease like "Kuru," or "Scrapie," or "BSE" ...

Apr 28, 2012 -- 11:27PM, christzen wrote:

vCJD is most certainly related to BSE. 

Moderated by Merope on Apr 29, 2012 - 01:55PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2012 - 11:53PM #33
christzen

Apr 28, 2012 -- 11:34PM, teilhard wrote:

Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease IS a "Prion" Disease, but it appears to be "Familial" in Character rather than a strictly TRANSMISSABLE Prion Disease like "Kuru," or "Scrapie," or "BSE" ...

Variant CJD is a disease linked to eating cattle that have BSE.As documented in the link provided.  If one reads it.

Moderated by Merope on Apr 29, 2012 - 01:57PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 12:04AM #34
teilhard

Hence my general Advice to AVOID eating "Brains" from ANY Species ...

The Medical Concensus has been that Prion Diseases do NOT jump the Species Barrier, but I tend to favor great CAUTION about that, especially given the long Latency Period, ca. 10 to 15 Years ...

I take these Concerns PERSONALLY seriously, BTW, as a good Friend of mine died from a Prion Disease a couple Years ago ... So DON'T Lecture ME ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 12:51AM #35
christzen

Apr 29, 2012 -- 12:04AM, teilhard wrote:

I take these Concerns PERSONALLY seriously, BTW, as a good Friend of mine died from a Prion Disease a couple Years ago ... So DON'T Lecture ME ...

If you don't want to discuss the issue ,then leave the thread.  But don't participate in a discussion and then complain about being lectured to.  Also, drop the caps that make it look like you are shouting. 

As for not jumping species, vCJD is caused by eating cows, which in turn appear to have gotten the disease from sheep.  And there are reported cases of vCJD being passed human to human through blood transfusions.  I would call sheep to cow to human with then human to human transmission species jumping.

Moderated by Merope on Apr 29, 2012 - 01:59PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 6:07AM #36
teilhard

Ummm ... Your Information about Transmission of Creutzfeld-Jacob Disease is ... "suspect" ...

Apr 29, 2012 -- 12:51AM, christzen wrote:

As for not jumping species, vCJD is caused by eating cows, which in turn appear to have gotten the disease from sheep.  And there are reported cases of vCJD being passed human to human through blood transfusions.  I would call sheep to cow to human with then human to human transmission species jumping.

Moderated by Merope on Apr 29, 2012 - 02:00PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 10:40AM #37
christzen

Apr 29, 2012 -- 6:07AM, teilhard wrote:

Ummm ... Your Information about Transmission of Creutzfeld-Jacob Disease is ... "suspect" ...

Ummm....MY  info comes from the CDC, as linked for you to have read and learned.  If you think you are a more reliable and knowledgeable source on vCJD than the Center for Disease Control, then please state why, with proof.  Until then, your opinion is what is suspect, not the scientists charged with studying the disease as part of the public health defense against it.

Moderated by Merope on Apr 29, 2012 - 02:01PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 12:36PM #38
teilhard

Again ... I have close personal Friend who died from a Prion Disease a couple of Years ago, and as a young Biology Student back in the late 1960s I had already heard of "Scrapie" ... So I HAVE "kept up" for several Reasons of my own ...

There is (as yet)  NO  EVIDENCE   that Transmissable Prion Diseases are caught by eating a Beef Steak or a Hamburger ...  As I HAVE indicated (repeatedly, below), however, I think that "Brains" of ANY Species are to be avoided ...

Apr 29, 2012 -- 10:40AM, christzen wrote:

Ummm....MY  info comes from the CDC,as linked for you to have read and learned.If you think you are a more reliable and knowledgeable source on vCJD than the Center for Disease Control,then please state why,with proof.Until then,your opinion is what is suspect,not the scientists charged with studying the disease as part of the public health defense against it.

Moderated by Merope on Apr 29, 2012 - 02:02PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 1:38PM #39
christzen

Apr 29, 2012 -- 12:36PM, teilhard wrote:

There is (as yet)  NO  EVIDENCE   that Transmissable Prion Diseases are caught by eating a Beef Steak or a Hamburger ...  As I HAVE indicated (repeatedly, below), however, I think that "Brains" of ANY Species are to be avoided ...

I eat beef,so I am not arguing against steak or hamburgers,but the issue is whether vCJD is related to BSE,not whether eating a hamburger causes vCJD.

From the WHO.  That would be the World Health Organization.

• The consumption of food of bovine origin contaminated with the agent of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE), a disease of cattle, has been strongly linked to the occurrence of vCJD in humans.
Moderated by Merope on Apr 29, 2012 - 02:05PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2012 - 5:29PM #40
teilhard

As I have also indicated (below) I do NOT necessarily believe that Prion Diseases honor the Species Barrier ...

So ... AGAIN ... I advise against eating Brains of ANY Species -- just in Case ...

BTW ... A VERY interesting Finding announced just last Year: even though "Prions" (which are ENTIRELY "Protein") contain NO DNA or RNA, they "evolve" ... !!!

Apr 29, 2012 -- 1:38PM, christzen wrote:

Apr 29, 2012 -- 12:36PM, teilhard wrote:

I eat beef,so I am not arguing against steak or hamburgers,but the issue is whether vCJD is related to BSE,not whether eating a hamburger causes vCJD.

From the WHO.  That would be the World Health Organization.

• The consumption of food of bovine origin contaminated with the agent of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE), a disease of cattle, has been strongly linked to the occurrence of vCJD in humans.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook