Post Reply
Switch to Forum Live View Egypt Cancels Gas To Israel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 4:35PM #1
KindredSai
Posts: 4,998
www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/apr/23/egy...


Egypt cancels Israeli gas contract


Termination of 20-year deal, which provided 40% of Israel's natural gas, seen as sign of fraying relations between allies


 
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 2:52PM #2
vra
Posts: 6,322

One of the things that's a big question-mark is, when eventually there is a Palestinian state declared, what if Israel declares that it no longer has any responsibility to the WB and GS, and suspends sending electricity and payments?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 3:13PM #3
KindredSai
Posts: 4,998

Apr 26, 2012 -- 2:52PM, vra wrote:


One of the things that's a big question-mark is, when eventually there is a Palestinian state declared, what if Israel declares that it no longer has any responsibility to the WB and GS, and suspends sending electricity and payments?




You're treating this as a chastisement over the Palestinian issue. Egyptians and Palestinians are not the same people.


In answer to the latter part of your post, Palestine can be sufficient without Israel. Peter Hitchens reported that UAE is ploughing money into WB and Gaza and the US still provides aid to Palestine.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 5:10PM #4
vra
Posts: 6,322

Apr 26, 2012 -- 3:13PM, KindredSai wrote:


Apr 26, 2012 -- 2:52PM, vra wrote:


One of the things that's a big question-mark is, when eventually there is a Palestinian state declared, what if Israel declares that it no longer has any responsibility to the WB and GS, and suspends sending electricity and payments?




You're treating this as a chastisement over the Palestinian issue. Egyptians and Palestinians are not the same people.


In answer to the latter part of your post, Palestine can be sufficient without Israel. Peter Hitchens reported that UAE is ploughing money into WB and Gaza and the US still provides aid to Palestine.





Where did you get that I'm proposing this as some sort of "chastisement over the Palestinian issue"?  Actually, this item came up on one of Fareek Zakaria's program on CNN a while back.  BTW, I wouldn't be so certain about U.S. funding in the future either, especially if the Republicans win the presidency this year. 


The point is that if the WB & GS were to become an independent state, then Israel would logically be able to sell to and finance any country it wishes.  Whether they would choose to continue aid and electricity to this new state I think would be largely based on what the situation would be at that moment in time. 


I would caution you about jumping to conclusions as to what you might think my motives were and are.  I hope there eventually is an independent and peaceful Palestinian state some day soon, and I hope that relations between them and Israel are much more positive than they are now.  I certainly wish no harm on them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 5:33PM #5
JAstor
Posts: 3,960

Apr 25, 2012 -- 4:35PM, KindredSai wrote:

www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/apr/23/egy...


Egypt cancels Israeli gas contract


Termination of 20-year deal, which provided 40% of Israel's natural gas, seen as sign of fraying relations between allies


 



This actually hurts the Egyptians much more than the Israelis. But hatred is not logical. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 7:52PM #6
LeahOne
Posts: 15,723

I was wondering if anyone knew how much the Egyptian demand for natural gas had grown recently, compared to production?


 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 11:39AM #7
BDboy
Posts: 4,575

Apr 26, 2012 -- 7:52PM, LeahOne wrote:


I was wondering if anyone knew how much the Egyptian demand for natural gas had grown recently, compared to production?


 





>>>>>>> I watched an  TV interview with the man who made this happened. He gave couple of main reasons behind it.


One was increase demand in the modestic market. Second was the contract with Israel allowed Israel to get gas at much cheaper price than what gas gets in current market. They said they feel it was one of those corruptions by Mubarak governement.


So after re-evaluation of the current demand and revisiting market price, there is a chance Israel can buy gas from Egypt again. But they may need to pay a "Fair price" for it.


This is what I got from that conversation.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2012 - 1:18PM #8
KindredSai
Posts: 4,998

Apr 26, 2012 -- 5:10PM, vra wrote:


Apr 26, 2012 -- 3:13PM, KindredSai wrote:


Apr 26, 2012 -- 2:52PM, vra wrote:


One of the things that's a big question-mark is, when eventually there is a Palestinian state declared, what if Israel declares that it no longer has any responsibility to the WB and GS, and suspends sending electricity and payments?




You're treating this as a chastisement over the Palestinian issue. Egyptians and Palestinians are not the same people.


In answer to the latter part of your post, Palestine can be sufficient without Israel. Peter Hitchens reported that UAE is ploughing money into WB and Gaza and the US still provides aid to Palestine.





Where did you get that I'm proposing this as some sort of "chastisement over the Palestinian issue"?  Actually, this item came up on one of Fareek Zakaria's program on CNN a while back.  BTW, I wouldn't be so certain about U.S. funding in the future either, especially if the Republicans win the presidency this year. 


The point is that if the WB & GS were to become an independent state, then Israel would logically be able to sell to and finance any country it wishes.  Whether they would choose to continue aid and electricity to this new state I think would be largely based on what the situation would be at that moment in time. 


I would caution you about jumping to conclusions as to what you might think my motives were and are.  I hope there eventually is an independent and peaceful Palestinian state some day soon, and I hope that relations between them and Israel are much more positive than they are now.  I certainly wish no harm on them.




Pardon me but the fact that you choose to cite Palestine in this topic when this about Egyptians indicates that the Israelis should suddenly punish the Palestinians by stopping funding to WB and Gaza.


That being said about the Republican Party, Mitt Romney has shown more sympathy towards Palestinians than the Republican status quo along with gay rights, he is seen as more liberal than the likes of Gingrich and Santorum.


But don't let the threats of cutting aid believe you there won't be alternatives to Palestinian funding, the US response to the Palestinian's UNESCO bid has actually been compensated by the Arab World and the EU.


Forgive me if I say I do not believe you do believe in a viable 2 State solution, if you support current Israeli right wing actions, you don't support a viable Palestinian State.

Quick Reply
Cancel
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook