Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Foreign Ministry slams Guardian newspaper for insisting Tel Aviv is Israel’s capital
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 3:22PM #11
rangerken

Jerusalem is the capital of Israel because first, Israel says it is, and second, because Israel is able to make it its capital. This is totally NOT complicated and also totally NOT up to anyone besides Israelis!

Others may, of course, complain...just as Greeks may complain about the Turks keeping Istanbul or the Germans may complain about Poland owning East Prussia and on and on and so forth!!!... obvious, isn't it?

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 3:23PM #12
KindredSai

UK paper 'names' Tel Aviv Israel's capital

UK in paper and in action lists Tel Aviv as the capital. 

As you know, most nations in the world do not accept Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.

Guardian 'corrects' caption on photo of Jerusalem residents riding the new light rail, saying Tel Aviv is Israel's capital 
Mistakes on news websites can be hurtful, amusing, or damaging. Sometimes, they're painfully political. As such, the British Guardian recently misidentified the capital of Israel

Yes and in UK opinion, Tel Aviv is the capital of Israel, what part of this is hard for you to understand?

As I also understand Israelis born in Jerusalem are still cited as Israelis because of the corpus seperatum status of Jerusalem, while there have been attempts by the US Congress to do so. 

In 2002, Congress passed legislation that said that American citizens born in Jerusalem may list "Israel" as their country of birth, although Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama have NOT allowed it.

www.jewishjournal.com/nation/article/adl...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 3:29PM #13
KindredSai

Apr 25, 2012 -- 3:22PM, rangerken wrote:

Jerusalem is the capital of Israel because first, Israel says it is, and second, because Israel is able to make it its capital. This is totally NOT complicated and also totally NOT up to anyone besides Israelis!

Others may, of course, complain...just as Greeks may complain about the Turks keeping Istanbul or the Germans may complain about Poland owning East Prussia and on and on and so forth!!!... obvious, isn't it?

Ken

Of course you are citing two parts of international law, declarative and constitutive. The former not having a real basis today when it comes today's practices.

Saying who rules for they have the ability to rule is not actually law but self enforcement.

Your example is weak, the Greek government recognise Istanbul as a Turkish City, The Germans recognise the Polish claim.

No nation recognises Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, I understand.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 3:31PM #14
BDboy

Ken

>>>>>>>> RK,

It is that simple!!

It is known as jungle rule or might is right!!

The problem with this kind of ideology is in future others may find it "Appealing" to call the SAME place their backyard.

Not exactly helpful for a secured Israel in the long run. My two cents.....

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 3:34PM #15
rangerken

Apr 25, 2012 -- 3:31PM, BDboy wrote:

Ken

>>>>>>>> RK,

It is that simple!!

The problem with this kind of ideology is in future others may find it "Appealing" to call the SAME place their backyard.

BDboy, when it comes to international relations, and more important, international borders, might has always made, will always make,  and does make right! And that is simply a statement of historic and contemporary fact.

Ken

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 3:37PM #16
KindredSai

Ken,

You're citing against American opinion!

And here's me thinking you thought America did what was in her best interests!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 3:43PM #17
BDboy

Apr 25, 2012 -- 3:34PM, rangerken wrote:

Apr 25, 2012 -- 3:31PM, BDboy wrote:

Ken

>>>>>>>> RK,

It is that simple!!

BDboy, when it comes to international relations, and more important, international borders, might has always made, will always make,  and does make right! And that is simply a statement of historic and contemporary fact.

Ken

>>>>>>>> Guess the rulers of Sudan took this Mantra. Now they are bombing on "Newly founded" southern Sudan on a dispute over an oil feild.

You can convey this message to people of southern Sudan that their claims over part of historical Sudan is SOL.

I am sure "Muslim North" of Sudan should be thanking Israel for sharing such wonderful ideology. ;-)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 3:45PM #18
rangerken

Apr 25, 2012 -- 3:37PM, KindredSai wrote:

Ken,

Actually, KS, American opinion, and congress's is strongly in favor of our moving our embassy to Tel Aviv. Bush and now Obama don't want to do that because they are concerned with Arab opinion...diplomacy and all that. Now since I am not a diplomat nor in favor of giving the slightest damn about Arab opinion I very much want us to openly accept Jerusdalem as Israel's capital, etc. And I'd also love to see us use an Iaraeli port as a home port for part of our Sixth Fleet in the Med. and that would be, I believe, definitely in our best interests...BUT...it would require more testicular fortitude than the current administration has.

Ken

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 3:55PM #19
KindredSai

Apr 25, 2012 -- 3:45PM, rangerken wrote:

Apr 25, 2012 -- 3:37PM, KindredSai wrote:

Ken,

Actually, KS, American opinion, and congress's is strongly in favor of our moving our embassy to Tel Aviv. Bush and now Obama don't want to do that because they are concerned with Arab opinion...diplomacy and all that. Now since I am not a diplomat nor in favor of giving the slightest damn about Arab opinion I very much want us to openly accept Jerusdalem as Israel's capital, etc. And I'd also love to see us use an Iaraeli port as a home port for part of our Sixth Fleet in the Med. and that would be, I believe, definitely in our best interests...BUT...it would require more testicular fortitude than the current administration has.

Ken

I don't think Congress opinion is actual American opinion.

But American legal opinion as cited by Obama Jerusalem is not the capital.

If you don't care for Arab opinions, you don't care for peace, it's as simple as that. Peace is made with two sides not solely by one.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 11:38PM #20
rangerken

A series of one liners, that did not discuss the thread topic were removed.

Rangerken

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook