Page 14 of 14  •  Prev 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14
Switch to Forum Live View 60 Minutes on the Plight of Palestinian Christians
2 years ago  ::  May 28, 2012 - 2:34PM #131
Miraj

May 27, 2012 -- 5:02PM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

More about the actual true story - the one "missed" by 60 minutes

Jarallah - What CBS Does Not Want to Hear

A few weeks ago, veteran CBS News correspondent Bob Simon reported on the plight of Christians of the Holy Land who have been leaving the region for many years.

In large part, Simon blamed the Christian exodus on Israel.

But had Simon visited the Christian village of Taybeh in the West Bank, he would have heard "the other side to the story."

One more thing I forgot to mention - Bob Simon did visit Taybeh for his report for 60 Minutes.  Here is a link to that report, found on the 60 Minutes Overtime website, as advertised at the end of the Sunday report.  It took me all of 3 minutes to find all of the information I've posted in contradiction of the article posted by Rocky.  

The purveyors of misleading and malicious articles and websites, like Memri, Honest Reporting, the Foundation for Defense of Democracies, Atlas Shrugged, Campus Watch, Daniel Pipes, Jihad Watch, The Religion of Peace, Palwatch, etc., etc., (most of which are staffed and funded by a revolving door of the same people) and their counterparts on the pro-Palestinian side, all count on their followers to salivate rather than think when they read or watch skewed pieces about the "enemy".  They count on you not to check for yourself.  However, a little due diligence goes a long way toward being actually knowledgable aboout a subject rather than merely emotional about your chosen position.

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 28, 2012 - 2:42PM #132
rangerken

The question to ask about anything reported is, simply, is it true? Is it factual? What is the proof? Once it is determined that the facts presented are, indeed facts, THEN, opinions may well, and often do differ regarding how to interpret these facts.

60 minutes is advocacy journalism, not factual jouranlism. Now that is pefectly OK!!!...But, it should be recohgnized for what it is. 60 Minutes has the deserved reputation for choosing a conclusion and then seeking facts that support it. Again, that's OK...but should be recognized for what  it is.

And, by the way, I happen to like 60 Minutes, but I always keep in mind that it always has and supports an agenda.

Frankly, I find articles in the Jordan Times, and Lebanon's the Daily Star, Al Jazeerah,  Israel's Jerusalem Post, and Haaretz...and France Soir (in french) and Der Spiegel (in German) far more accurate than 60 Minutes.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 28, 2012 - 2:48PM #133
Miraj

May 28, 2012 -- 2:42PM, rangerken wrote:

The question to ask about anything reported is, simply, is it true? Is it factual? What is the proof? Once it is determined that the facts presented are, indeed facts, THEN, opinions may well, and often do differ regarding how to interpret these facts.

60 minutes is advocacy journalism, not factual jouranlism. Now that is pefectly OK!!!...But, it should be recohgnized for what it is. 60 Minutes has the deserved reputation for choosing a conclusion and then seeking facts that support it. Again, that's OK...but should be recognized for what  it is.

You're right, Ken, but I've said the exact same thing about sites like Memri, and people here get all upset.  It's a good thing to think about, though, especially when those who have never spent time among the nations they criticise insist they know all the facts on the ground.  They don't.

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 28, 2012 - 2:59PM #134
rangerken

May 28, 2012 -- 2:48PM, Miraj wrote:

You're right, Ken, but I've said the exact same thing about sites like Memri, and people here get all upset.  It's a good thing to think about, though, especially when those who have never spent time among the nations they criticise insist they know all the facts on the ground.  They don't.

I like MEMRI, but I recognize that it is dedicated to supporting Israel...at least in my opinion. And that's OK. But there's also nothing wrong with recognizing that and saying so. I obviously like MEMRI a lot because I pretty much share its point of view. It is only natural that we will prefer souces that support our positions.

That's why I think it is important to look at many sources, and as possible offer competing opinions which is why I like to look at sources from Jordan and Lebanon and Europe, and Israel, and Turkey, etc whenever possible. And it certainly is easy enough to do!

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2012 - 1:09PM #135
BDboy

And, by the way, I happen to like 60 Minutes, but I always keep in mind that it always has and supports an agenda.

Frankly, I find articles in the Jordan Times, and Lebanon's the Daily Star, Al Jazeerah,  Israel's Jerusalem Post, and Haaretz...and France Soir (in french) and Der Spiegel (in German) far more accurate than 60 Minutes.

Ken

>>>>>>RK,

Are you sure you are not mixing it up with Fox news? ;-)

I have spoken to many Arab Americans who happened to come from Palestine/Lebanon area. Over 90% of them supports Palestinians concerns. Maybe you can try to speak to some real people if you are interested in learning about "Facts" on ground.

My two cents.....

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2012 - 3:33PM #136
browbeaten

Jun 1, 2012 -- 1:09PM, BDboy wrote:

Ken

>>>>>>RK,

I have spoken to many Arab Americans who happened to come from Palestine/Lebanon area. Over 90% of them supports Palestinians concerns. Maybe you can try to speak to some real people if you are interested in learning about "Facts" on ground.

My two cents.....

Maybe you ought to define what you mean by "Palestinian concerns".  I have spoken to many Arab Americans from the region and their concerns are with the leadership and their ability to secure a state and/or peace.  The facts on the ground are that most Arab Americans never felt that their "concerns" were being addressed by their former governments.  Their problems with Israel are incidental to the predicament their leadership had placed them in.  They believe that this issue could have been solved years ago.  They don't believe that their leadership represents their needs and desires, but only politics and power.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2012 - 3:31PM #137
BDboy

Jun 1, 2012 -- 3:33PM, browbeaten wrote:

Jun 1, 2012 -- 1:09PM, BDboy wrote:

Ken

>>>>>>RK,

My two cents.....

Maybe you ought to define what you mean by "Palestinian concerns".  I have spoken to many Arab Americans from the region and their concerns are with the leadership and their ability to secure a state and/or peace.  The facts on the ground are that most Arab Americans never felt that their "concerns" were being addressed by their former governments.  Their problems with Israel are incidental to the predicament their leadership had placed them in.  They believe that this issue could have been solved years ago.  They don't believe that their leadership represents their needs and desires, but only politics and power.

>>>>>>>> Yearning for Freedom from Israeli occupation.

Slowly but surely Arabs are working towards more democratic countries and replacing dictators often backed by Israel (Mubarak of Egypt is a good example of that).

I am hopeful for a better future for all people in the ME.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 14 of 14  •  Prev 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook