Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
2 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2012 - 10:37PM #31
mountain_man

Apr 25, 2012 -- 3:58PM, mainecaptain wrote:

That sounds so neat Dave. :)

It's fun too. I have figured out a way to get a really good patina on these bells. I love turning something into something else.

A friend in the city is taking down his old wooden fence. I get all the redwood boards - over 100 of them. That's going to make a lot of bird houses.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 2:01PM #32
mainecaptain

Apr 25, 2012 -- 10:37PM, mountain_man wrote:

Apr 25, 2012 -- 3:58PM, mainecaptain wrote:

That sounds so neat Dave. :)

It's fun too. I have figured out a way to get a really good patina on these bells. I love turning something into something else.

A friend in the city is taking down his old wooden fence. I get all the redwood boards - over 100 of them. That's going to make a lot of bird houses.

WOW!

That is what I call earth friendly. And the birds will love you. I am considering getting a table saw and a radial arm saw this year to make things. All my raised beds are constructed out of reused discarded wood.

Nothing in my house, including most of the house itself is new. Last year we (the room-mate and I) built a garage out of reclaimed wood. 90% of the building is reclaimed from other buildings or purposes. So is the enclosed porch we built five years ago.

We got all the wainscoting, 1" inch thick. From a 200 year old building being renovated. It completed the porch and we used the last of it, on the garage. It would have gone to the dump.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 10:07PM #33
mountain_man

Apr 26, 2012 -- 2:01PM, mainecaptain wrote:

That is what I call earth friendly. And the birds will love you. I am considering getting a table saw and a radial arm saw this year to make things. All my raised beds are constructed out of reused discarded wood.

Nothing in my house, including most of the house itself is new. Last year we (the room-mate and I) built a garage out of reclaimed wood. 90% of the building is reclaimed from other buildings or purposes. So is the enclosed porch we built five years ago.

We got all the wainscoting, 1" inch thick. From a 200 year old building being renovated. It completed the porch and we used the last of it, on the garage. It would have gone to the dump.

A friend needed a room divider. I went to the house recycling place and got 3 beautiful doors with stained glass windows. I put the hinges in the right places and made an awesome room divider that gets compliments from everyone that enters the room.

I also got some old sash windows with 6 to 8 small glass panes in them. I fix them up, put a scenic poster behind it and a flower box in the front - and it makes a great indoor wall hanging right were you want to put a window.

A little creativity goes a long ways.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 4:02PM #34
mainecaptain

Apr 26, 2012 -- 10:07PM, mountain_man wrote:

A friend needed a room divider. I went to the house recycling place and got 3 beautiful doors with stained glass windows. I put the hinges in the right places and made an awesome room divider that gets compliments from everyone that enters the room.

I also got some old sash windows with 6 to 8 small glass panes in them. I fix them up, put a scenic poster behind it and a flower box in the front - and it makes a great indoor wall hanging right were you want to put a window.

A little creativity goes a long ways.

That is really neat. You are right a little creativity does go a long  way :)

I paint, paintings. I am not a great artist, but I have fun. I do landscapes with colourful skys, someone once suggested making window screens (to use instead of curtains)  with my paintings. The light comes through and give a nice colourful stain glass type feeling.

You are right, some thought, not a lot of money and some creativity can do wonders.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 10:09PM #35
mountain_man

Apr 27, 2012 -- 4:02PM, mainecaptain wrote:

I paint, paintings. I am not a great artist, but I have fun. I do landscapes with colourful skys, someone once suggested making window screens (to use instead of curtains)  with my paintings. The light comes through and give a nice colourful stain glass type feeling.

You are right, some thought, not a lot of money and some creativity can do wonders.

I've made wall decorations before. I would never call it "art" though. Just a piece of wood with some paint splashed on it. Just something to add color to a room.

I really should take some pictures of this stuff and put it on my website. Maybe it will cause an idea in someone else. That's how I get mine, from others.

Oh, I did get some burlap bags that had coffee beans in them from a local coffee roaster. Some had some interesting art work on them so I stapled them to a frame and had an instant wall hanging. Sold them for $25 each.

Creativity can be profitable.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 9:08PM #36
mainecaptain

Apr 27, 2012 -- 10:09PM, mountain_man wrote:

Apr 27, 2012 -- 4:02PM, mainecaptain wrote:

I've made wall decorations before. I would never call it "art" though. Just a piece of wood with some paint splashed on it. Just something to add color to a room.

I really should take some pictures of this stuff and put it on my website. Maybe it will cause an idea in someone else. That's how I get mine, from others.

Oh, I did get some burlap bags that had coffee beans in them from a local coffee roaster. Some had some interesting art work on them so I stapled them to a frame and had an instant wall hanging. Sold them for $25 each.

Creativity can be profitable.

I think what you do is great. And art, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder,IMHO. I personally would love to see pictures if you post them somewhere.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 9:53PM #37
mountain_man

Apr 30, 2012 -- 9:08PM, mainecaptain wrote:

I think what you do is great. And art, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder,IMHO. I personally would love to see pictures if you post them somewhere.

I just call it decorations. The next time I make something I'll post pictures. I'm out of junk right now, so there isn't much to work with. My next project is paiinting a large, 5 feet tall, round, old butane tank. I just have to talk the guy out of it. I'm going to paint a world on it and stick it in my front yard. I have the perfect place for it..... as soon as I clear out the poison oak.Frown

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 11:16PM #38
mainecaptain

Apr 30, 2012 -- 9:53PM, mountain_man wrote:

Apr 30, 2012 -- 9:08PM, mainecaptain wrote:

I just call it decorations. The next time I make something I'll post pictures. I'm out of junk right now, so there isn't much to work with. My next project is paiinting a large, 5 feet tall, round, old butane tank. I just have to talk the guy out of it. I'm going to paint a world on it and stick it in my front yard. I have the perfect place for it..... as soon as I clear out the poison oak.

First. Thank you.

Second be careful with the poison oak  :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2012 - 11:59PM #39
mountain_man

Apr 30, 2012 -- 11:16PM, mainecaptain wrote:

First. Thank you.

You're welcome.

Second be careful with the poison oak  :)

I'm learning. It has been about a year since I had a serious case of it. It only took 20 years. I don't like to use harsh chemicals, but I make an exception and spray poison oak and several invasive thistles. The rest of the weeds I pull out with my pickup truck.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 8:49PM #40
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook