Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Returning manufacturing
3 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 2:05PM #1
Erey
I know many of you are interested in this kind of thing.  About 37% of american companies with manufacting operations in China are seriously considering bringing the manufacturing back here.
www.cnbc.com/id/47097720

Reasons include it is not so cheap anymore to do business in China and there are prevailing akwardness with issues around quality, shipping, communication, etc.  Right now there is an excess of 6000 manufacuring jobs in the US that these companies can't find the skills to fill the positions.

www.cnbc.com/id/47097720
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 10:15PM #2
MMarcoe

A good thing that those jobs are returning. As the price of fuel goes up, shipping will become even more of a nightmare.

And here America sits with the promise of more jobs and not enough trained people to fill them. That's why I call upon the "job creators" to invest their idle trillions into training programs to get America working again. They can even tie their products and services into the training if they want.

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 10:47PM #3
arielg

Manufactoring jobs are not coming back.  That is an illusion.  News to appease the anger some people feel.

Audi just announced a new plant to be built in Mexico.  Why?  Wages are about 6 or 7 dollars in Mexico.    In the US they are about 34 dollars.

How is US manufactoring   going to compete with that? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2012 - 12:36AM #4
MMarcoe

Apr 20, 2012 -- 10:47PM, arielg wrote:

Manufactoring jobs are not coming back.  That is an illusion.  News to appease the anger some people feel.

Audi just announced a new plant to be built in Mexico.  Why?  Wages are about 6 or 7 dollars in Mexico.    In the US they are about 34 dollars.

Easy -- we don't have the kind of instability they have in Mexico.

On top of that, we have higher productivity and efficiency here in the US. You get more out of your dollar when you hire Americans.

On top of that, 34 dollars for wages? Even if that's true, it will decline in order to keep or attract jobs. It's already happening. For example, in my old hometown of Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, they managed to keep the Mercury Marine Company (they make outboard motors) by offering much less pay to new employees. Does it suck? Yes. But people will take those jobs because they want the work.

We CAN attract and keep manufacturing here. Not all of it, but much of it.

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2012 - 12:54AM #5
Fodaoson

Labor is just one cost factor and when factored in  other factors more important.   

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2012 - 2:22AM #6
arielg

Apr 21, 2012 -- 12:36AM, MMarcoe wrote:

On top of that, we have higher productivity and efficiency here in the US. You get more out of your dollar when you hire Americans.

On top of that, 34 dollars for wages? Even if that's true, it will decline in order to keep or attract jobs. It's already happening. For example, in my old hometown of Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, they managed to keep the Mercury Marine Company (they make outboard motors) by offering much less pay to new employees. Does it suck? Yes. But people will take those jobs because they want the work.

I guess that is why Audi decided to go to  Mexico instead of the US. They must love the instability.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2012 - 3:09AM #7
Fodaoson

Apr 21, 2012 -- 2:22AM, arielg wrote:

I guess that is why Audi decided to go to  Mexico instead of the US. They must love the instability.

Audi is a German Company, a part of Volkswagen, VW sh been making VW in Mexico for decades.  The new plant will make SUVs for the North American Markets.   They also acquired a Mexican Motorcycle Maker.   This Thread is about American Manufacturers returning production to the US.   Audi (VW) is moving production closer to its markets, an impetus for Companies returning to the US is closer to the market place 

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2012 - 8:07AM #8
Ironhold

Anyone else here remember the flap about Boeing trying to enter South Carolina?

For those who don't recall, Boeing realized that orders for their new 787 were greater than what their facilities in Washington could reasonably handle. They made the decision to open up a second factory, and ultimately chose South Carolina as the site: not only is it close to several major air hubs (like Atlanta and NYC), a number of auto manufacturers have facilities in the state and so there's a ready pool of skilled factory workers.

Cue the labor unions accusing Boeing of wanting to shaft organized labor by moving all manufacturing to Hickville, with one union rep literally declaring that there's no reason why anyone should ever want to move to SC.

And the National Labor Relations Board agreeing without really even bothering to look at Boeing's side of the issue.

With jive like that going on, I can understand why so few companies are willing to establish factories here.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2012 - 10:57AM #9
Bodean

Apr 20, 2012 -- 10:15PM, MMarcoe wrote:

A good thing that those jobs are returning. As the price of fuel goes up, shipping will become even more of a nightmare.

And here America sits with the promise of more jobs and not enough trained people to fill them. That's why I call upon the "job creators" to invest their idle trillions into training programs to get America working again. They can even tie their products and services into the training if they want.

I think the bigger problem is getting Americans to train for the jobs.  They simply don't want to put out the slightest effort to support themselves.  They want everything "given to them" ... though fiat regulations put in place by Government ... like ....

Healthcare

Retirement

Set wages and other perks

FREE Training ...paid for by someone else.

Excessive time off with pay

Why put out the effort, when you can exists quite nicely for free off the Government, and work for cash that you don't file wiht the IRS to support your luxuries.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2012 - 11:09AM #10
davelaw40

But that sounds like an equal protection violation

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook