Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Is Peace Getting in the Way of Our War Plans?
3 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2012 - 9:18AM #1
ted08721

I think the title of the article says it all.

Don't tell me the corporations that make their profit off of war and killing had not already projected what their profits would be from a war with Iran along with the other corporations wanting to lay claim to Iran's natural resources.

the article does go on to say this for those that do not click and read.

" This prospect for peace was immediately denounced by right-wing Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu, U.S. Senator Joe Lieberman and other members of Congress – who may try to block further talks as early as this week.  A Senate effort to prevent the talks from even beginning had been blocked by Sen. Rand Paul. Now Congress is coming back with more deadly sanctions, ultimatums, and resolutions requiring war."

warisacrime.org/content/peace-getting-wa...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2012 - 9:26AM #2
catboxer

The intended war on Iran doesn't really have anything to do with their non-existent nuclear weapons program, which is a flimsy pretext.

It's actually motivated by the events of 33 years ago, when the Ayatollah called us "the Great Satan" and presided over the holding of American hostages. Now he's inconveniently dead, but we don't let such minor details hold us back.

It seems our government never forgets anything and never learns anything.

Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 1:23PM #3
rangerken

The linked article is worth reading. Whether or not it is based on fact is open to question but then much of what is reported about the Middle East, particularly Iran, is open to question whether it be pro or con whomever. Having said this, I must caution members that this thread could all too easily slide into conspiracy theory land, and if it does, it will immdediately be moved. So let's try to not let that happen. I'll give not letting that happen a try next in my regular, member personna.

Rangerken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 1:31PM #4
rangerken

An important premise of the opening post seems to be that there is a concerted effort by some of our Senators to push the US towards war with Iran. While I agree that there are both senators and representatives who do not trust Iran and whoare not opposed to our using force if necessary, I don't think this rises to the level of wanting war...yet. Of course, the definition of what, in this case, 'necessary' means is required, and deserves a lot of serious debate.

There are some key questions here, which are touched upon in the linked aricle though at times indirectly. First, does Iran pose a 'clear and present danger' to the US? Right now I think the answer is no. Second, exactly what actions or circumstances are required for it to be logically decided that Iran does present a clear and present danger to the US?

Now I'm not opposed to our making war. What I am opposed to is our making war when it is not clearly necessary and also clearly in our own, best, national interests. I just don't see our going to war with Iran now meeting those requirements.

I need to re-read the linked article and do some fact checking before commenting further.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 9:21AM #5
amcolph

Apr 22, 2012 -- 1:31PM, rangerken wrote:

First, does Iran pose a 'clear and present danger' to the US? Right now I think the answer is no. Second, exactly what actions or circumstances are required for it to be logically decided that Iran does present a clear and present danger to the US?

But Iran does represent a clear and present danger to Israel.  There is a faction in the US which would regard that as a sufficient excuse for war.  Because if Israel were to be destroyed then certain biblical "prophecies" would turn out not to be true, thus discrediting their particular sect of Christianity.

This post contains no advertisements or solicitations.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 9:02PM #6
Mlyons619

RIGHT NOW, the US is NOT threatening war.  We continue to use diplomatic means to influence the situation.

If anyone's threatening war, it's NOT the US...

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 9:04PM #7
Mlyons619

... Because if Israel were to be destroyed then certain biblical "prophecies" would turn out not to be true, thus discrediting their particular sect of Christianity...

What does this have to do with the topic?

Perhaps on a Biblical Prophesy thread on one of the Discuss Christianity boards -- but not here...

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 10:47PM #8
teilhard

The USA is NOT going to abandon The State of Israel ...

The Iranian Regime understands this ... and MAY well be backing-off a bit ... I hope so ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2012 - 6:47AM #9
Nepenthe

Apr 23, 2012 -- 9:02PM, Mlyons619 wrote:

RIGHT NOW, the US is NOT threatening war.  We continue to use diplomatic means to influence the situation.

If anyone's threatening war, it's NOT the US...

How many Iranian troops, Iranian carrier and battle fleets, and Iranian friendly battle-ready nations currently surround the United States?

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2012 - 8:55AM #10
ted08721

Apr 23, 2012 -- 10:47PM, teilhard wrote:

The USA is NOT going to abandon The State of Israel ...

The Iranian Regime understands this ... and MAY well be backing-off a bit ... I hope so ...

Israel is a rogue state that terrorises their neighbors with assasinations, bombings, occupation and genicide.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook