Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Yet Another obama Record
2 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2012 - 7:52PM #1
TENAC
Someone on these boards not long ago told me the wealthy would not leave the US due to excessive taxation, personal or corporate.

What some liberals simply refuse or dont want to understand.

Anyway, as the title suggests, another obama record:

Special Report: Tax time pushes some Americans to take a hike

(Reuters) - A year ago, in Action Comics, Superman declared plans to renounce his U.S. citizenship.

"'Truth, justice, and the American way' - it's not enough anymore," the comic book superhero said, after both the Iranian and American governments criticized him for joining a peaceful anti-government protest in Tehran.

Last year, almost 1,800 people followed Superman's lead, renouncing their U.S. citizenship or handing in their Green Cards. That's a record number since the Internal Revenue Service began publishing a list of those who renounced in 1998. It's also almost eight times more than the number of citizens who renounced in 2008, and more than the total for 2007, 2008 and 2009 combined.

But not everyone's motivations are as lofty as Superman's. Many say they parted ways with America for tax reasons.

The United States is one of the only countries to tax its citizens on income earned while they're living abroad.

Any man can count the seeds in an apple....
.......but only God can count the apples in the seeds.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2012 - 8:27PM #2
Fodaoson

I personally know of six people who surrendered their green card and move out of the  US and back to India.  IT  was not taxes but the cost of living and  their family. In India they made less money but had  a higher standard of living and a culture they knew and wanted.  

There are many factors  in why people emigrate

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2012 - 9:36PM #3
TENAC

Apr 17, 2012 -- 8:27PM, Fodaoson wrote:

I personally know of six people who surrendered their green card and move out of the  US and back to India.  IT  was not taxes but the cost of living and  their family. In India they made less money but had  a higher standard of living and a culture they knew and wanted.  

There are many factors  in why people emigrate

Oh?  And the articles written about those you care to cite?

Another thing lost on the left,

taxes have the most direct effect on the cost of living.

Liberals act as if they are mutually exclusive.

Any man can count the seeds in an apple....
.......but only God can count the apples in the seeds.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2012 - 11:57PM #4
Mlyons619

Apr 17, 2012 -- 9:36PM, TENAC wrote:

taxes have the most direct effect on the cost of living.

Liberals act as if they are mutually exclusive.

Amen.  Among other things.  Like the cost of GAS...

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2012 - 12:34AM #5
rangerken

Here is a link to the article mentioned in the opening post.

tax-time-pushes-americans-away

Since my daughter is living in Abu Dhabi where she is teaching Arab children to speak, read and write English, my own family now has direct knowledge of what the article, and this thread is about.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2012 - 1:48AM #6
nnsecu

Interesting that last week Biden once again was saying that it is patriotic for the wealthy people to pay more taxes.  A week later the media covers stories of people doing about the most unpatriotic thing possible and renouncing citizenship over not wanting to pay taxes. 

Some may see this as a conspiracy theory, some see it as strange coincidence, and some may see it an an example of the media and left working together to control information and thought in America.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2012 - 8:44AM #7
Marcion

We live in the greatest country in the wold and is worth the taxes we pay. That being said, I also believe that we need an equitable tax system so all can pay an equitable share. Tax breaks and loopholes for the rich smack of an us versus them system.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2012 - 10:22AM #8
Girlchristian

Apr 18, 2012 -- 8:44AM, Marcion wrote:

We live in the greatest country in the wold and is worth the taxes we pay. That being said, I also believe that we need an equitable tax system so all can pay an equitable share. Tax breaks and loopholes for the rich smack of an us versus them system.

Until we get rid of all tax breaks and loopholes for the rich, the middle class--everyone--then we won't have an equitable tax system. There is no reason why all of us shouldn't be paying our fair share.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2012 - 10:47AM #9
loveontheair

Hello,

For starters lets put people back to work. Half do not pay taxes. I agree with Marcion--this is the greatest country and I do not mind paying my taxes...just don't waste my taxes. State taxes, that's another issue entirely.

love

Good works will never produce faith, but faith will always produce good works. loveontheair
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2012 - 10:52AM #10
Bodean

Apr 18, 2012 -- 10:22AM, Girlchristian wrote:

Apr 18, 2012 -- 8:44AM, Marcion wrote:

Until we get rid of all tax breaks and loopholes for the rich, the middle class--everyone--then we won't have an equitable tax system. There is no reason why all of us shouldn't be paying our fair share.

I don't know that I agree with you GC.

Tax Credits for children, Tax deductions for interests paid on primary residence up to a limit, Tax deductions for taxes paid at the state and local levels, ......

Add to that, Tax Deductions for certain relevant equipment in small businesses, .......

I don't think we need to get rid of these.

NOW .. on the otherhand ... tax deductions for expensive, non-essential vehicles, tax deductions on second mortgages, etc .... those need to go.

I also think that we need to put a progressive code in place for capital gains and dividends.  There are ways to make it fair.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook