Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Saudi Sports Commentator Al-Raoughui: I'd Rather Be Slaughtered Than See Saudi Women at Olympic Game
2 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2012 - 10:48PM #11
arielg

In the name of  "equality",  we must strive to make "a woman be  more like a man".

Sport is an activity created by men to enhance masculinity and strength.  It was an extension of war. Female athetes become very masculine, more like  imitation men.   There are very few sports that enhance the beauty and grace  of the woman.

They are  even competing in weight lifting now!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2012 - 12:14AM #12
Shusha

Apr 18, 2012 -- 10:48PM, arielg wrote:

In the name of  "equality",  we must strive to make "a woman be  more like a man".

Sport is an activity created by men to enhance masculinity and strength.  It was an extension of war. Female athetes become very masculine, more like  imitation men.   There are very few sports that enhance the beauty and grace  of the woman.

That depends entirely on how narrowly one defines the "beauty and grace" of a woman. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2012 - 2:54AM #13
CharikIeia

Actually, it is in the spirit of individual liberty that we must strive to allow individuals to express whatever they may choose for themselves, as long as it doesn't harm others.

But that may be too much of a Western / Enlightenment / Humanist idea to have merit, for some critics of my civilisation.

Sport is a set of activities that many women just do for the fun of it. Can you believe in the intrinsic joy a woman experiences when being a good sporter? Or must you call it a misguided attempt to imitate male war games?

In any case, your stance resonates well with the plans the Taliban have for their wives & daughters.

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2012 - 12:55PM #14
Merope

Thought I'd just circle back to the Saudi team issue to note that Reema Abdullah will be the first Saudi woman to carry the Olympic torch during its journey throughout the UK.  (I think each bearer carries the torch for something like 300 meters.)  In 2009, the IOC banned international torch relay.

Abdullah is a Saudi sports radio host - the first female sports host and commentator - who is very much in favor of women althletes' participation in national and international competition, including - of course - the Olympics.  Abdullah is also captain and one of the founding members of Jeddah United, the first public Saudi women's football team.

Stories here in the Saudiwoman's Weblog and in The Guardian.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 5:36AM #15
shmuelgoldstein

Apr 18, 2012 -- 7:15PM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

Schmuel

That is because of your understanding the concept of modesty which I would argue is incorrect and at varience with tradition. We can discuss this on the DJ board if you would like.

Uh, No, No, and no thanks.

I'll learn my Judaism in a yeshiva, thank you.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 5:40AM #16
shmuelgoldstein

Yea, it's ridiculous.

There's some things that work with women and sports, and some that do not. Figureskating, gymnastics, volleyball, golf, tennis, swimming. But, say, wrestling, boxing, American Football, rugby? Ugh. Fuggedaboudid.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 6:34AM #17
shmuelgoldstein

Apr 19, 2012 -- 2:54AM, CharikIeia wrote:

... it is in the spirit of individual liberty that we must strive to allow individuals to express whatever they may choose for themselves...

Would you apply that to groups as well?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook