Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View American Fascism in Decline
2 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2012 - 10:01AM #1
catboxer
Ever since the beginning of the Reagan administration, the American version of Italian fascism has dominated our political lives. This 30-year trend culminated with the stolen election of Y2K, establishment of the Bush administration's upside-down tax code to benefit the super-rich, the Iraq and Afghan wars, the financial meltdown of 2007-08, and its subsequent and still-ongoing depression.

Fascism is a system of government characterized by corporatism, which is the combining of big business and government, and militarism, a large, aggressive, and expansionist military pursuing dreams of empire. It also encourages submission to the fundamentalist form of whatever religion is traditionally practiced in the society dominated by the ideology.

The signal that fascism had peaked and was in decline arrived with the idiot's crusade known as the Tea Parties, and the subsequent appearance of its opposite number, #Occupy Wall Street.

The eclipse of this noxious trend is now in full swing, as shown by the stampede of corporate sponsors abandoning the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC), the right-wing lobbying organization which has been in control of Republican-dominated state legislatures for several years now.

Almost needless to say, ALEC is covered all over with the fingerprints of America's premier fascist ideologues and bankrollers, Charles and David Koch.

Kraft Foods, Coca-Cola and Pepsico, chip-maker Intuit, and McDonald's Corp. have abandoned their support of Alec recently as its shadowy, anti-democratic machinations have been exposed in the press and on the web.

The political pendulum swing away from fascism is now under way, and nothing will stop it. It will continue no matter which one of the silly twits currently running for the presidency is elected in the fall.

Note to would-be posters: this thread is not about George Soros.
Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2012 - 10:10AM #2
teilhard

I dunno ... The Pressure against Organized Labor continues ... The Gap between The Rich OverLords and the rest of Us continues to widen and deepen ... Police increasingly "crack-down" on Peaceful Demonstrations ...

The USA has been a Right-Wing Society and Government for a long Time ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2012 - 12:22PM #3
Roodog

If indeed the Fascists are declining, they will do as they have done throughout history, start some $#!+ here or abroad and have a national emergency or yet another war.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2012 - 1:10PM #4
catboxer

I believe the corporate migration away from ALEC which I alluded to in post #1 is indicative of big changes afoot.

All of a sudden, corporations don't want to be associated with lobbying, probably because at bottom, they're businesses. And this creates a fracture in the essential relationship of fascism -- the welding of corporations and government.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2012 - 1:16PM #5
mecdukebec

The fasces and conservative religion go together.  That being said, I recall hearing Wingosermons, circa 2005, that "You can't be a Christian if you don't support the war(s)."  Will conservative Christians continue to support the endorsement of the standing order?  Thus far, I would say "Yes."; and that, in spite of the Iraq affair and their support of same. 

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2012 - 1:52PM #6
mainecaptain

I hope you are right CBoxer and fascism is on the decline. But I am not really seeing it yet. I don't like living in a fascist nation or a dictatorship. I thought I was in country that supported democratic ideals. But as we can see by Michigan, Which is fast turning into a dictatorship, (in fact actually has turned into a dictatorship) this country is far from safe.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2012 - 2:55PM #7
SecondSonOfDavid

Snif Snif.  

I smell Godwin's Law around this thread!

That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2012 - 4:12PM #8
catboxer

Godwin's law has to do with calling people Nazis.

All Nazis are fascists, but not all fascists are Nazis.

"Fascist" is a technical term, not a nasty name to call someone.

It describes a type of government characterized by corporatism and militarism, with a generous helping of that old-time religion stirred in. Fascist regimes like those of Mussolini's Italy, Franco's Spain, Pinochet's Chile, etc., use suppression of speech combined with a blanket of propaganda covering society to try to smother opposition.

In the U.S. it's a type of ideology whose time has come -- and nearly gone.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2012 - 4:45PM #9
SecondSonOfDavid

What I mean is the posting of emotional worries and rants, without much in the way of facts or support.  To call the United States 'fascist' is just silly as things go today.

Just as is the point of Godwin's Law, the use of 'fascist' is primarily an epithet rather than an accurate observation.  It may lack a snappy descriptor, but calling something 'fascist' when it is not is just intellectually lazy.

That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2012 - 5:18PM #10
catboxer

Once again, Godwin's law is "the rule of Nazi analogies," not the rule of fascist analogies.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/godwin%27s_law

I know you wish it said "fascist," but it doesn't say what you want it to. It only says what it says.

I may be intellectually lazy, but at least I know that there are differences between Nazis and fascists, and I know what they are.

As for whether the US government over the past 30 years (and more) has been more or less fascist in orientation, are you telling me that the government isn't dominated by corporate influence, including the famous "revolving door" between the board room and the regulatory agency?

Are you telling me that our military spending, which is as great as the military spending of the rest of the world combined, does not indicate a governmental attitude of extreme belligerent militarism?

And are you telling me that Washington DC with its "prayer breakfasts" doesn't feel a need to seek support from the fundamentalist priestly class?

Wake up and smell the money, dude.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook