Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Disgrace at the GSA
3 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2012 - 11:43AM #11
arielg

What is there to read that is so mysterious?  They got used to spend money like crazy because they got away with it in the past and apparently nobody was supervising the practices. 

The US bureocrats got used to spend lavishly  when the country had money to burn. Hard to stop those practices once they start.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2012 - 11:18AM #12
TemplarS

Sure, Ariel, people will do what they can get away with.

But where was the oversight?

Things were not much different in much of the private sector a few years back (which is why Dennis Koslowski is in jail, where some of these GSA guys need to be).  But nowadays, at least where I work (though it seems, not in the financial sector, and not as applied to top execs) any sort of expenditures for group employee activities are subject to very strict scrutiny.  The company doesn't even pay for an annual employee summer picnic anymore, though they used to.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2012 - 12:26PM #13
Girlchristian

Apr 19, 2012 -- 11:18AM, TemplarS wrote:

Sure, Ariel, people will do what they can get away with.

But where was the oversight?

Things were not much different in much of the private sector a few years back (which is why Dennis Koslowski is in jail, where some of these GSA guys need to be).  But nowadays, at least where I work (though it seems, not in the financial sector, and not as applied to top execs) any sort of expenditures for group employee activities are subject to very strict scrutiny.  The company doesn't even pay for an annual employee summer picnic anymore, though they used to.

I work for a NFP so we're monitored on spending. I'm also the education/event planner for my organization and our trainings are highly monitored, because some of the costs involved with those come from our federal funder (although food is paid for out of private funds due to newer regulations).

That said, any employee activities that we do are paid for out of our private fund and are the first things to be cut when money gets tight. Last year we had an evening holiday party for staff and spouses and this year we're having a staff only lunch and we have to come back to work afterwards.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2012 - 12:25PM #14
Marcion

We never would have learned about the incident if it hadn't been for one cheapskate agent trying to stiff a hooker. I bet he is popular with his fellow agents.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2012 - 1:23PM #15
TemplarS

Well, Marcion, that is a different scandal altogether.

It's not yet clear (to me, anyway) whether the agents used tax money or their own money to hire the prostitutes (presumably their own, or the one guy wouldn't have tried to stiff her, but you never know).  It was a violation of rules and security clearance in any event. 

But  not criminal (prostitution is legal in Columbia) so these bozos probably won't be joining Mr. Neely at Leavenworth.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2012 - 7:33PM #16
Fodaoson

Apr 24, 2012 -- 12:25PM, Marcion wrote:

We never would have learned about the incident if it hadn't been for one cheapskate agent trying to stiff a hooker. I bet he is popular with his fellow agents.

If I am not mistaken, prostitution is legal in some counties in Nevada 

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 8:54PM #17
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook