Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View This Has GOT to be a BAD Joke
2 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2012 - 3:01PM #11
SecondSonOfDavid

Let's think this one through.  First off, I am as Right-Wing as you will probably find on this board, absolutely zero chance I would vote for Obama/Biden.  But with that said, morally this makes sense.

First, Biden owned the property and has every right to lease it out.  But who can he lease it to? It's not as if the Secret Service would allow someone to live that close to the sitting VP, much less have their friends pop over.  

Second, the agents need a place to stay, someplace close to their principal.  Why not rent a place that is secure and close by, and by the way no more expensive than any other place they would have to rent?

In the end, the money works out no worse than it would any other way, security is maintained, and frankly it seems a common-sense solution to me.

That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2012 - 3:11PM #12
Girlchristian

Apr 17, 2012 -- 3:01PM, SecondSonOfDavid wrote:

Let's think this one through.  First off, I am as Right-Wing as you will probably find on this board, absolutely zero chance I would vote for Obama/Biden.  But with that said, morally this makes sense.

First, Biden owned the property and has every right to lease it out.  But who can he lease it to? It's not as if the Secret Service would allow someone to live that close to the sitting VP, much less have their friends pop over.  

Second, the agents need a place to stay, someplace close to their prinsipal.  Why not rent a place that is secure and close by, and by the way no more expensive than any other place tehy would have to rent?

In the end, the money works out no worse than it would any other way, security is maintained, and frankly it seems a common-sense solution to me.

+1

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2012 - 4:14PM #13
Stardove

This is not a new story. 

If you do a search the fact of the rental agreement came out in August 1, 2011.

www.drudge.com/archive/146801/biden-char...

With this being an election year why not try to stir the pot again.  Eh?

August 1, 2011:

The agency says it is a unique situation. "We don't pay rent to any other protectees," Donovan told The Ticket, but he added that the agency had wanted to be in close proximity to the vice president's house. Officials had been renting other properties in the area when Biden's cottage tenant moved out. So, the Secret Service reached out.

"The cottage was an existing rental property at the time the Secret Service signed its lease," Kendra Barkoff, press secretary for the vice president, informed the newspaper and wrote in an email to The Ticket.

From the Yahoo article from 2011 it would seems it was the Secret Service who reached out to VP Biden to rent his property.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2012 - 4:31PM #14
Stardove

July 31, 2001:

Edwin M. Donovan, special agent in charge at the Secret Service's Office of Government and Public Affairs in Washington, said the agency pays $2,200 in rent per-month, the same amount a previous tenant had paid before moving out.

He said the close location provides a level of security for the Biden family the agency might not have had otherwise. Asked if the Secret Service typically pays rent to the people it protects, he said, “It’s a rental property so we pay rent there.”

Taxpayer watchdogs say the Secret Service should do everything it can to protect Mr. Biden, but they wonder whether he should be collecting rent from the agency while it’s doing its job.

According to Mr. Biden’s office, the vice president’s mother lived in the cottage until she died in January 2010. At that time, the Secret Service had been renting properties in the Wilmington area for agents who were providing a protective presence at Mr. Biden’s personal residence.

Mr. Biden later asked the Secret Service if the agency wanted to rent the cottage property, but the Secret Service declined and Mr. Biden rented it instead to a private tenant, according to the vice president's office. But almost a year later, when that tenant moved out, the Secret Service approached Mr. Biden about renting the cottage.

“The cottage was an existing rental property at the time the Secret Service signed its lease,” said Kendra Barkoff, a spokeswoman for Mr. Biden.

Last year, Mr. Biden and his wife, Jill, reported earning $379,178, including $11,000 in income from the cottage, according to the Bidens’ tax return. The Bidens did not list any rental income for 2009.

From the date of article I guess this big story came out in July 31, 2011 and was continued the next day and now it making the headlines again.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook