Page 5 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View USDA Admits You May Be Eating Cloned Animal Meat
2 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 6:27PM #41
teilhard

LOL ... LOTS of Things happen in Human Communities -- in Agriculture and Industry and otherwise -- that don't otherwise "happen in Nature" ... SOME of those are GOOD Things, others not ... 

Somebody else (below) raised the Topic of CJD (which is a prion Disease) and I was addressing THAT Question ...

(But ... Contrary to your mistaken Impression ... Herbivores "in Nature" DO sometimes eat each other, though not intentionally ... !!! See, in "Nature," when a Herd Animal dies and its Carcass lies there in the Grass, as it decays, its Tissues fall apart and as its Relatives graze around it, they do in Fact ingest some Bits of their deceased Fellows ... THAT is in Fact ONE Way in which Prion Diseases are spread among Animals in The Wild ... )

Apr 15, 2012 -- 5:47PM, christzen wrote:

Apr 15, 2012 -- 4:46PM, teilhard wrote:

No ... Prion Diseases are an entirely different Problem than GMOs or Cloned Animals ...

Apr 15, 2012 -- 4:39PM, christzen wrote:

Apr 15, 2012 -- 3:40PM, teilhard wrote:

The very real -- VERY interesting --  novel Problem of Prion Diseases has NOTHING to do with GMOs or Cloned Animals ...

Apr 15, 2012 -- 11:16AM, christzen wrote:

Your contention that people astute enough to see a problem coming and point it out are worry-worry-worry- warts  not enjoying life is inane.But expected,nonetheless.I'm sure the folks that decided it was a good idea to feed dead cow parts to live cattle as a filler labeled those who suggested it might not be such a good idea as needless worriers.I'm also sure those who have had kin die from vCJD wish that people had paid more attention to those worries.

But go stick your head in the sand if reality is too much to handle.That really solves problems.And allows folks like Monsanto to do as they wish.

Sure it does.It shows that man does not really have any idea as to what consequences may come from some of their actions,and that some of them have dire consequences.You think that people knew vCJD would result from feeding cattle ground up parts of other cattle and sheep when they chose to do so.

Whatever dude.If you lack the ability to connect the dots then that is your failing.I'm not saying they are caused by similar causes,but that both are unintended and unforeseen consequences of human actions that alter normal circumstances (cows don't eat other cows in nature).You can't grasp it.I get it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 6:29PM #42
teilhard

*** Ummmm ... YOU raised the Topic (below), and I addressed it ...

Apr 15, 2012 -- 5:50PM, christzen wrote:

Apr 15, 2012 -- 4:47PM, teilhard wrote:

I agree that issuing a Patent on a Living Thing is a BAD Idea -- for LOTS of Reasons ...

Fortunately, The SCOTUS recently outlawed -- 9 to 0 !!! -- Patents on Human Genes ...

Apr 15, 2012 -- 4:43PM, christzen wrote:

Apr 15, 2012 -- 3:16PM, REteach wrote:

Corn is genetically modified. Corn could not exist today without human.

Some of you remind me of the possibly apocryphal story of the woman who snuffed out her cigarette and then wanted food not sprayed with alar  

***Of greater issue is the possibility of most,if not eventually all,of our food supply being copyrighted property of a few large corporations.What are your thoughts on this?

Funny,I thought this discussion was about cloned food animals.What does cloning humans have to do with corporations cloning and copyrighting food animals?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 7:13PM #43
christzen

Apr 15, 2012 -- 6:29PM, teilhard wrote:

I agree that issuing a Patent on a Living Thing is a BAD Idea -- for LOTS of Reasons ...

Fortunately, The SCOTUS recently outlawed -- 9 to 0 !!! -- Patents on Human Genes ...

Some of you remind me of the possibly apocryphal story of the woman who snuffed out her cigarette and then wanted food not sprayed with alar  

***Of greater issue is the possibility of most,if not eventually all,of our food supply being copyrighted property of a few large corporations.What are your thoughts on this?

Funny,I thought this discussion was about cloned food animals.What does cloning humans have to do with corporations cloning and copyrighting food animals?

Um,no,I never raised the topic of human cloning,as I have already pointed out.I raised the issue of food animal cloning AND the related copyrighting issues and asked for your take on this,which you have so far failed to give while yet  responding about an issue that has NOT been raised here.

Try again to deal with the actual topic of discussion.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 7:32PM #44
teilhard

WOW ... !!!  I haven't posted re: Human "Cloning" either ...

The SCOTUS Decision forbade Patents of a Human GENE ... What I HOPE is that eventually, ALL Patents on ALL Living Things will be disallowed ... THAT was my Point ...

Apr 15, 2012 -- 7:13PM, christzen wrote:

Um,no,I never raised the topic of human cloning,as I have already pointed out.I raised the issue of food animal cloning AND the related copyrighting issues and asked for your take on this,which you have so far failed to give while yet responding about an issue that has NOT been raised here. Try again to deal with the actual topic of discussion.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 7:45PM #45
christzen
Wow nothing.You brought up the issue of patenting human genes in a discussion about cloning animals.

You seem to be having some difficulties.I guess I will move on to discussing the issue with those who can organize their thoughts and stay with the topic without deliberate (or feigned perhaps) obtuseness
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 8:01PM #46
ted08721

For some reason I don't think what was done in the past to corn and tomatoes with methods of grafting and hybridization that were developed by institutions such as Rutgers in N.J. can be compared to what Monsanto is doing unless they too have gone over to the dark side.

snyderfarm.rutgers.edu/tomatoes.html

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 8:13PM #47
teilhard

Again ... YOU raised to Topic below -- "our Food Supply being copyrighted Property of a few large Corporations" and asked for Thoughts on this ...

I gave you mine ...  Get Over It ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 8:42PM #48
Bodean

WEll ... I'm going to have to say, that I'd prefer to eat "cloned" meat, as opposed to genetically altered meat, or meat from animals fed unatural substances for growth and development.

I mean .. "cloned", means "exactly the same as".  So .. if they found this cow, and it produced a wonderful marbled ribeye steak, without all kinds of hormones and chemicals .. I'd have to say, clone the cow, and give me some more of it.

Think of it this way .. .Else has "identical twin" calves ... they are genetically, "clones" of each other.

OTOH .. I"m with F.O. ... I don't like the idea of genetically altered foods.  I prefer the natural stuff.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 10:59PM #49
teilhard

These Days there are very FEW Food Crops, Fruits, Veggies, Animal Meats that HAVEN'T been "genetically altered" by systematic breeding, cross-breeding, selection Programs ... we're NOT eating the SAME "genetic" Tomatoes, Apples, Carrots, Rice, Chickens, etc., that our GrandParents ate ...

Apr 15, 2012 -- 8:42PM, Bodean wrote:

WEll ... I'm going to have to say, that I'd prefer to eat "cloned" meat, as opposed to genetically altered meat, or meat from animals fed unatural substances for growth and development.

I mean .. "cloned", means "exactly the same as".  So .. if they found this cow, and it produced a wonderful marbled ribeye steak, without all kinds of hormones and chemicals .. I'd have to say, clone the cow, and give me some more of it.

Think of it this way .. .Else has "identical twin" calves ... they are genetically, "clones" of each other.

OTOH .. I"m with F.O. ... I don't like the idea of genetically altered foods.  I prefer the natural stuff.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 11:17PM #50
Erey

I don't fully understand GMO foods.

My understanding has been that humans have altered the genes of just about everything we might potentialy care about.  Grass, corn was mentioned, any kind of food stuff we have altered it.

However Genetic Modification is not so much the trying to foster or breed traits within whatever species of food or animal you are interested in but splicing genes.  So for instance that corn is not just altered to be larger and sit longer on the shelf before eating.  It has been somehow spliced iwth a bit of jellyfish DNA.  I don't know how or why.  One organisim being spliced with the DNA from a completely different kind of organism. 

I am not saying this makes the food necessarily dangerous but it does make you ponder. 

I also agree with Bodean that there is nothing to fear of cloning.  Lots of people are clones.  Near me there is a ranch that has what we call oreo cookie cattle.  black cattle with a white middle and they are all clones and look exactly the same. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook