Page 3 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Locked: If You Want To Talk About Women's Little Issues Talk To "my wife!"
2 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2012 - 10:19PM #21
Ironhold

Apr 12, 2012 -- 4:51PM, withwonderingawe wrote:

Iron

did you pick up your dirty socks? 

Actually, this is an area in which my mom and I sometimes fight.

Mom's an OCD-level neat freak, and in her urge to clean she occasionally throws things away that are actually valuable; all too often, if she doesn't see the immediate value in an item she figures that it must not have any value at all.

For example, she once mistook an envelope containing $25 worth of gift certificates for junk mail and tossed it in the trash without even stopping to look inside of it... even though it was clipped up to the calendar with all of the other important correspondence. I had to empty the trash can in order to find it.

Or when we were cleaning out my late grandmother's house, she found an old German beer mug full of old ink pens. Thinking that the pens were likely dead, mom just turned the mug over inside a trash can. Cue the sounds of coins hitting the floor - turns out that grandma had also been using the mug to hold her loose change.

Things like that.

Some times we have to stop and remind her that every once in a while it's OK if things aren't pristine.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2012 - 1:07AM #22
Erey

Apr 12, 2012 -- 6:09PM, Mostyn32 wrote:

What a tempest in a teapot! Seems to me that someone somewhere is trying to stir up anti-Mormon feelings now that Mitt Romney is obviously going to be the GOP candidate for President.

I don't number many Mormons among my friends, but my former next-door-neighbours were Mormon. She taught at the local ballet company school, he was a photographerr. Their marriage was very equal (he was a super cook) and very stable. The only other Mormon couple I know also have a stable marriage, and the wife works outside the home.

As far as missionaries go, I've had young Mormon women mission teams knock on my door.

While I question much of the Mormon theology, I commend the LDS for their family-centred teachings, and their financial commitment to their church.

I agree!!!!   The Mormon doctrine is not for me but let's not start demonizing Mormons.  Mormons are by and large very good people.  Should we go back to judging Obama by Jerimiah Wright? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2012 - 2:09AM #23
Find1Answer

Apr 12, 2012 -- 9:42PM, Fodaoson wrote:

Apr 12, 2012 -- 7:34PM, voice-crying wrote:

Apr 12, 2012 -- 6:25PM, withwonderingawe wrote:

What a tempest in a teapot! Seems to me that someone somewhere is trying to stir up anti-Mormon feelings now that Mitt Romney is obviously going to be the GOP candidate for President.

I don't number many Mormons among my friends, but my former next-door-neighbours were Mormon. She taught at the local ballet company school, he was a photographerr. Their marriage was very equal (he was a super cook) and very stable. The only other Mormon couple I know also have a stable marriage, and the wife works outside the home.

As far as missionaries go, I've had young Mormon women mission teams knock on my door.

While I question much of the Mormon theology, I commend the LDS for their family-centred teachings, and their financial commitment to their church.

Thanks for the kind words

Yes, Willard is going to be the presumptive nominee (at least until the convention). I need to understand why he doesn't value women; I need to know why. I'll have to reseach his train of thought. I don't want anyone who thinks they will one day rule the world, to become the President of the United States of America. That's a scary thought to me.  

Latter Day Saints(Mormons) do not believe they will rule THE WORLD in the hereafter;  They will divinely  rule a world  

yea and every religion out there has their own story on how it is all going to go down.  and how their way is the way.    so what

Bush's "de-Bathification program" eliminated all vestiges of Sunni power in Iraqi society and set the stage for the Sunni insurrection against American occupation and the new Shiite-led government. Bush disbanded the entire Sunni-dominated Iraqi Army and bureaucracy. He didn't change it. He didn't make it more inclusive of Shiites and Kurds. He just disbanded it. It is no accident that two of the top commanders of today's ISIL are former commanders in the Saddam-era Iraqi military.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2012 - 2:23AM #24
Find1Answer

Apr 12, 2012 -- 10:10PM, Ironhold wrote:

Still waiting for a response to the link I posted.

Wondering if it'll ever come.

no   they just want to get off their cheap shots because they think Mormons are funny.     Funny how they don't see the humor in Baptists or Methodists or Catholics or Jehovah Witnesses,  now those guys are funny  they think that they are the only ones that are going to be saved and then you have the evangelicals, they think they are already saved and they think they are going to run this country.      delusional is what they are

Fact is this religion stuff is really not relevant in running this country and it really bothers me that it is.   just because they push it.

Bush's "de-Bathification program" eliminated all vestiges of Sunni power in Iraqi society and set the stage for the Sunni insurrection against American occupation and the new Shiite-led government. Bush disbanded the entire Sunni-dominated Iraqi Army and bureaucracy. He didn't change it. He didn't make it more inclusive of Shiites and Kurds. He just disbanded it. It is no accident that two of the top commanders of today's ISIL are former commanders in the Saddam-era Iraqi military.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2012 - 2:34AM #25
Find1Answer

Apr 12, 2012 -- 4:21PM, voice-crying wrote:

That attitude is puzzling. So I needed to know why!

The way Mitt dismisses any mention of women's issues, caused me to look up his beliefs when it comes to a woman's place in the world.  www.exmormon.org/mormwomn.htm 

In my opinion Mitt Romney thinks women are second class citizens. He should be forced to seek a woman to be his VP (running mate).

I don't think he'll do it because it would be against his "religion." What say you?   

look   Patriarchy is how this church runs and how the Catholic church works and all the rest of them them.    You gotta a problem with Patriarchy???   You must be a feminist

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2012 - 9:51AM #26
voice-crying

Apr 13, 2012 -- 2:34AM, Find1Answer wrote:

The way Mitt dismisses any mention of women's issues, caused me to look up his beliefs when it comes to a woman's place in the world.  www.exmormon.org/mormwomn.htm 

In my opinion Mitt Romney thinks women are second class citizens. He should be forced to seek a woman to be his VP (running mate).

I don't think he'll do it because it would be against his "religion." What say you?   

look   Patriarchy is how this church runs and how the Catholic church works and all the rest of them them.    You gotta a problem with Patriarchy???   You must be a feminist

No I don't have a problem with "Patriarchy" in the home or in a church...however I do have a problem with it in: Federal, State or Local Government. No I'm not a "feminist." I'm a woman who has obeyed God's command to: "be fruitful and multiply" (propagate) and to be the wife of one husband (at a time). 

"Death and life [are] in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."Proverbs 18:21
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2012 - 9:56AM #27
voice-crying

Apr 13, 2012 -- 2:09AM, Find1Answer wrote:

Apr 12, 2012 -- 9:42PM, Fodaoson wrote:

Apr 12, 2012 -- 7:34PM, voice-crying wrote:

Apr 12, 2012 -- 6:25PM, withwonderingawe wrote:

Thanks for the kind words

Yes, Willard is going to be the presumptive nominee (at least until the convention). I need to understand why he doesn't value women; I need to know why. I'll have to reseach his train of thought. I don't want anyone who thinks they will one day rule the world, to become the President of the United States of America. That's a scary thought to me.  

Latter Day Saints(Mormons) do not believe they will rule THE WORLD in the hereafter;  They will divinely  rule a world  

yea and every religion out there has their own story on how it is all going to go down.  and how their way is the way.    so what

I didn't mention anything about the "hearafter." It is my understanding that they think they'll rule the world in the here-and-now (someday). I'll have to go back and research (again). If I'm remembering correctly the men think they are gods.
I haven't looked at this since my World Religions class in college.

"Death and life [are] in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."Proverbs 18:21
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2012 - 11:58AM #28
Find1Answer

No beef with you VC   but I guess it just irritates me that religion is playing such a large role in our government these days.    it is a strawman.   My comments last night were admittedly smartass but really?      

IMO Mitt did not discuss women issues or took them lightly because Mitt does not think they should be an issue  unlike Santorum, Gingrich ( now there's a laugh )  or Rush Limbaugh or all the other idiot lawmakers out there making Women Issues being the issue.   But he appears to be a deer in the headlights because he cannot say that in this political fundy atmosphere where the GOP are tripping all over themselves in order to appear more fundy for the fundy base.     

In context his contraception comment was why are we talking about this not knowing in his clueless way that contraception was indeed becoming an issue in the out fundying each other.

During the 2008 primary I remember reading the Mitt was a great bishop and actually did some good for women and there were a lot of testimonials to that fact.   It increased my admiration for him.    I actually like Mitt quite a bit except for the corporate raider stuff, which as a business model scares the hell out of me.   and the war for profit stuff,  which scares the hell out of me.  

I hope that he indeed morphs back into the moderate that he really is.    Folks may not realize this but the LDS was always Pro Choice before they got the message that politically with the fundy crowd that it was not cool.   In reality they are still pro choice.     they just don't talk about it.    Pro choice is not Pro Abortion it about the choice.      forget the stupid things that Orrin Hatch has been saying lately,  he has dementia due to his advanced age and his political chickensh*ttedness.      The LDS are not anti contraception either.

The LDS is patriarchal and the stuff that folks on this thread are complaining about is the same in most organized religions.   I am a feminist and I think that Patriarchy is baloney if it is written into the laws of this country.   Just as that idiot Gov Walker saying equal pay is not important to women cuz he sez so.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2012 - 1:26PM #29
Girlchristian

Apr 13, 2012 -- 9:51AM, voice-crying wrote:

No I don't have a problem with "Patriarchy" in the home or in a church...however I do have a problem with it in: Federal, State or Local Government. No I'm not a "feminist." I'm a woman who has obeyed God's command to: "be fruitful and multiply" (propagate) and to be the wife of one husband (at a time). 

When Romney was Governor he had plenty of women in his cabinet and his deputy Chief of Staff was a woman. His Lieutenant Govenor was also a woman. To claim that he doesn't hold women in high esteem is not accurate if you look at his work history.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2012 - 2:18PM #30
Qwesam

Apr 13, 2012 -- 1:26PM, Girlchristian wrote:

Apr 13, 2012 -- 9:51AM, voice-crying wrote:

When Romney was Governor he had plenty of women in his cabinet and his deputy Chief of Staff was a woman. His Lieutenant Govenor was also a woman. To claim that he doesn't hold women in high esteem is not accurate if you look at his work history.

Oh..... really?/?/?

Is it before or after he switch back to Conservative?  Anti-Choice, Anti-Gay etc...

Romney as a Governor is not the same as Romney for 2012 President...

***Watching Foxnews makes you dumb and dumber than your friends who watch NO News. It is on the survey!

***Don’t listen to what Republicans say, look what they do to Women’s rights.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook