Switch to Forum Live View Egypt parliament votes to strip Mubarak regime officials of their political rights
2 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2012 - 3:44PM #1
rocketjsquirell
And here we see yet another example of Democracy In Action - Not!

Egypt parliament votes to strip Mubarak regime officials of their political rights
Military council must ratify bill designed to keep Omar Suleiman out of presidential race

CAIRO (AP) — Egypt’s parliament has passed a bill that strips senior figures of ousted President Hosni Mubarak’s regime of their political rights for 10 years.

Thursday’s vote is designed to stop Mubarak’s former spy chief and vice president, Omar Suleiman, from running in next month’s presidential election.

full article:
www.timesofisrael.com/egypt-parliament-v...

Any comments on the quality of democracy in Egypt? I thought there might be a lot of consternation about this, given the amount of controversy there seems to be about democracy in Israel on this board.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2012 - 11:49AM #2
Amin21

We do not allow in the US, laws targeting individuals, but organizations can be sidelined in other ways if "wrong doing" is proven. 

This is obviously unconstitutional in the states, but in Egypt is mild compared to how things could be going.

I was impressed by the court in Egypts push to change the constitutional commitee to become more pluralistic.  I don't know what the end result will be but, it is not a simple process.

I can understand resistance by many Egyptian to participation of these individuals who command loyalty from the supporters of the previous regime.  These supporters, however are citizens too.

We unfortunately played the same game (the USA) in Iraq by sidelining all former government officials for the first 5 years or so of the Iraq war.

It was a foolish mistake, as it probably is in Egypt... and was not an entirely fair condition that came from demands from the previous opposition who shared past US and Iranian support.  We see the results Iran was going for today.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook