Switch to Forum Live View Mostly false: 'Women account for 92.3 percent of the jobs lost'
2 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2012 - 7:11AM #1
Kwinters
Does the claim that women account for over 92 percent of the jobs lost sound too crazy to be true?

That's cuz it is!  More to the point, it was GOP cuts to public sector jobs that employ women that led to women's lost employment, not the President.

Mitt Romney lies.  I am depressingly unsurprised.

'The first problem we find with Saul’s tweet is that it begins counting job losses the first month Obama was in office. We have taken points off previous claims for blaming officeholders for situations that existed at the beginning of their administrations, before their policies have had time to take effect. One could reasonably argue that January 2009 employment figures are more a result of President George W. Bush’s policies, at least as far as any president can be blamed or credited for private-sector hiring.

We reached out to Gary Steinberg, spokesman for the BLS, for his take on the claim. He pointed out that women’s job losses are high for that period of time because millions of men had already lost their jobs. Women were next.

"Between January 2009 and March 2012 men lost 57,000 jobs, while women lost 683,000 jobs. This is the reverse of the recession period of December 2007-June 2009 (with an overlap of six months) which saw men lose 5,355,000 jobs and women lose 2,124,000 jobs," Steinberg told us in an email.

So timing was important. And if you count all those jobs lost beginning in 2007, women account for just 39.7 percent of the total.

Gary Burtless, a labor market expert with the Brookings Institution, explained the gender disparity.

"I think males were disproportionately hurt by employment losses in manufacturing and especially construction, which is particularly male-dominated. A lot of job losses in those two industries had already occurred before Obama took office," he said. "Industries where women are more likely to be employed – education, health, the government – fared better in terms of job loss. In fact, health and education employment continued to grow in the recession and in the subsequent recovery.  Government employment only began to fall after the private economy (and private employment) began growing again."

Betsey Stevenson, a business and public policy professor at Princeton University, also pointed out that "in every recession men’s job loss occurs first and most, with unemployment rates for men being more cyclical than those of women’s."

She added that many of women's job losses have been government jobs -- teachers and civil servants -- which have been slower to come back because they require greater government spending...'

www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/stateme...
Jesus had two dads, and he turned out alright.~ Andy Gussert

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

If someone says, “Oh, I’m not a feminist,” I ask, “Why, what’s your problem?”

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2012 - 10:16AM #2
ZafodB

Apr 12, 2012 -- 7:11AM, Kwinters wrote:

Does the claim that women account for over 92 percent of the jobs lost sound too crazy to be true?

That's cuz it is!  More to the point, it was GOP cuts to public sector jobs that employ women that led to women's lost employment, not the President.

'The first problem we find with Saul’s tweet is that it begins counting job losses the first month Obama was in office. We have taken points off previous claims for blaming officeholders for situations that existed at the beginning of their administrations, before their policies have had time to take effect. One could reasonably argue that January 2009 employment figures are more a result of President George W. Bush’s policies, at least as far as any president can be blamed or credited for private-sector hiring.

We reached out to Gary Steinberg, spokesman for the BLS, for his take on the claim. He pointed out that women’s job losses are high for that period of time because millions of men had already lost their jobs. Women were next.

"Between January 2009 and March 2012 men lost 57,000 jobs, while women lost 683,000 jobs. This is the reverse of the recession period of December 2007-June 2009 (with an overlap of six months) which saw men lose 5,355,000 jobs and women lose 2,124,000 jobs," Steinberg told us in an email.

So timing was important. And if you count all those jobs lost beginning in 2007, women account for just 39.7 percent of the total.

Gary Burtless, a labor market expert with the Brookings Institution, explained the gender disparity.

"I think males were disproportionately hurt by employment losses in manufacturing and especially construction, which is particularly male-dominated. A lot of job losses in those two industries had already occurred before Obama took office," he said. "Industries where women are more likely to be employed – education, health, the government – fared better in terms of job loss. In fact, health and education employment continued to grow in the recession and in the subsequent recovery.  Government employment only began to fall after the private economy (and private employment) began growing again."

Betsey Stevenson, a business and public policy professor at Princeton University, also pointed out that "in every recession men’s job loss occurs first and most, with unemployment rates for men being more cyclical than those of women’s."

She added that many of women's job losses have been government jobs -- teachers and civil servants -- which have been slower to come back because they require greater government spending...'

So typical of supporters of the current occupant..........First Blame Bush....Second Blame republicans ,in general..   Never mention that for the first two years DEMOCRATS controlled te entire government and for the two years proir democrats controlled the House and Senate..

as always ...EXCUSES,EXCUSES

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2012 - 10:24AM #3
catboxer

Zafod, when did the current depression begin?

I'm assuming Republicans know how to read calendars, though they seldom bother doing so.

Note: I am not a Democrat nor a supporter of the current occupant.

Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2012 - 12:46PM #4
Roodog

Some of these people believe that women have no place in the workplace and if you do not have a husband to support you you should live with your father or your brother for life. They also believe that that unmarried women should be jailed if if they have illegitimate children.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2012 - 1:07PM #5
Girlchristian

Apr 12, 2012 -- 12:46PM, Roodog wrote:

Some of these people believe that women have no place in the workplace and if you do not have a husband to support you you should live with your father or your brother for life. They also believe that that unmarried women should be jailed if if they have illegitimate children.

I don't know anyone that believes that, but we do know that Hilary Rosen (DNC advisor) thinks stay at home moms don't actually work.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2012 - 3:55PM #6
rabello

The Romneys are such an embarrassment.  I cannot believe the Repubs don't have more substantive people available to run for the presidency.   I am depressingly surprised at Romney's shallowness.  

I hope somebody will find out whether Ann Romney had, as the rich wife that she is, maids and butlers and nannies that the mere mortal woman does not have as stay a at home mom

I also hope the Democrats will be able to show FAUX News Believers what a lie Mitt makes when he says 92+% of the jobs lost were lost by working women.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2012 - 4:30PM #7
catboxer

Apr 12, 2012 -- 3:55PM, rabello wrote:

The Romneys are such an embarrassment.  I cannot believe the Repubs don't have more substantive people available to run for the presidency.   I am depressingly surprised at Romney's shallowness.  

Rabello, if you take a look at their roster of potential candidates from the primary season just concluded, I think you'll see why Romney really is the best they could do.

Jon Huntsman was eliminated at the starting line, because "the base" was adamant in wanting a "real conservative."

Tim Pawlenty is a stunningly colorless and uninteresting mediocrity, so much so that even Republicans were bored with him.

Ron Paul has his own following, and is neither fish nor fowl, but a political anomaly.

That left five others besides the Romneybot: Bachmann, Cain, Perry, Gingrich, and Santorum, every one of them a freak and an embarrassment.

Romney may not be a "real conservative," but he can sound like one if he's coached.

The Republican Party is history, but they don't know it yet. They're always the last to find out.

Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2012 - 7:28PM #8
aarroottoonn

Apr 12, 2012 -- 7:11AM, Kwinters wrote:

While I would agree with a statement that 92% of jobs lost were women's jobs was false. An equally big whopper comes from GOP cuts to the public sector. There were no cuts by the GOP to the public sector, those jobs were cut by individual states, and include places like the far left California, attempting to balance their budget. Nice fantasy world you live in though.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2012 - 9:15PM #9
TENAC

lololololol........

This entire thread flies in the face of the torturing obama does daily with the truth!

obama would still have you believe the unemployment rate has never gone above 8% since we passed the stimulus or that he never said that in the beginning.

obama would still have you believe that his health care reform does not cost a trillion dollars (its a trillion and a half and counting) is the truth.

obama would still have you believe......my god this could go on all not. 

I would prefer a president who is mostly not true than totally not true.

Thanks

Any man can count the seeds in an apple....
.......but only God can count the apples in the seeds.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook