Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
2 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2012 - 1:02PM #1
catboxer
I was thinking about writing something nasty about Paul Ryan and his budget proposal which was recently approved by the US House of Representatives, but enough other people have done so lately that I'll pass on that.

Still, this is a good time to remind anyone who's drawing Social Security or plans to someday (that would be virtually all of us) that if this "zombie-eyed granny starver" and his running dogs have their way, we'll be out of luck, not to mention money.

As often happens, Atrios expresses my innermost thoughts on this subject better than I could, so I'll let him rap it down for you:

Our Galtian Overlords really do want to destroy Social Security. They have no interest in "reforming it" or "preserving it" or whatever. Some of them are haunted by the visions of someone else's grandmother not living in utter destitution, and others just want to steal the money or make sure rich people never have to pay any taxes again. Some grand bargain of revenue increases and benefit cuts to put it in actuarial balance until time infinity will not stop them from trying to impoverish old people and steal the money.

Once again, Atrios touches on the two main points pertaining to this matter that need to be hammered home:

1. The super-rich believe they should pay no (0) taxes, and

2. They really hate us, and want to see us suffer.
Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2012 - 1:16PM #2
Girlchristian

Here is Ryan's plan for SS:

• Preserves the existing Social Security program for those 55 or older.
  • Offers workers under 55 the option of investing over one third of their current Social Security taxes into personal retirement accounts, similar to the Thrift Savings Plan available to Federal employees. Includes a property right so they can pass on these assets to their heirs, and a guarantee that individuals will not lose a dollar they contribute to their accounts, even after inflation.
  • Makes the program permanently solvent – according to the Congressional Budget Office [CBO] – by combining a more realistic measure of growth in Social Security’s initial benefits, with an eventual modernization of the retirement age.

I'm 34 and don't expect SS to be there for me if we continue with the way it's currently set up and don't reform it in some manner. I'd also add that SS is supposed to be a safety net and NOT replace saving for one's own retirement. Anyone choosing to rely on SS and not save for their own retirement, even if it's $5/paycheck to start, is a fool, IMO.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2012 - 2:41PM #3
rabello

That's what my uncle used to say: "SS and medicare won't be there for me" and yet he got SS and medicare until the day he died at age 91 year

That's what my sister used to say when she was in her 20s and 30s, "SS and medicare won't be there for me" and yet she is almost "there" to get both, and would havegotten SS had she become disabled at anytime during her working years.

Truth is SS and medicare CAN be there for everyone if we as a nation make sure it is there for everyone.  That'll depend on how we vote and whom we put into office.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2012 - 4:29PM #4
TENAC

Apr 11, 2012 -- 2:41PM, rabello wrote:

That's what my uncle used to say: "SS and medicare won't be there for me" and yet he got SS and medicare until the day he died at age 91 year

That's what my sister used to say when she was in her 20s and 30s, "SS and medicare won't be there for me" and yet she is almost "there" to get both, and would havegotten SS had she become disabled at anytime during her working years.

Truth is SS and medicare CAN be there for everyone if we as a nation make sure it is there for everyone.  That'll depend on how we vote and whom we put into office.

I didnt peg you as being a PRyan supporter.  I mean, he is the ONLY ONE in Washington DC to present anything that would save the program. 

obama's budget didnt (defeated by 414-0, no one in his own party voted for it).

And your democrats havent produced a budget since obama invaded Afgahnistan.

It cannot be there for everyone in its present form.

Have you any clue as to what might fix it for everyone?

Any man can count the seeds in an apple....
.......but only God can count the apples in the seeds.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2012 - 4:58PM #5
catboxer

It doesn't need fixing. It's completely solvent through 2037, and the solvency could be extended indefintely through the simple expedient of raising the cap.

Rule #1 -- If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Republican motives for tweaking this sound program are not the ones they claim.

Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2012 - 5:10PM #6
MMarcoe

Apr 11, 2012 -- 4:58PM, catboxer wrote:

It doesn't need fixing. It's completely solvent through 2037, and the solvency could be extended indefintely through the simple expedient of raising the cap.

I agree that we can raise the cap if need be, but I want the option to divert some of what's mine to other investments. It wouldn't need to be the stock market, either.

There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.

God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2012 - 5:16PM #7
teilhard

Indeed ... The GOP Feudal OverLords have ALWAYS been opposed to "Social Security" not only in Fact, but in PRINCIPLE ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2012 - 5:34PM #8
TENAC

We have no such capacity to cover $36 trillion in outlays.  Solvency through 2037?! 

Geez, next thing you know the federal govt will give us weather forecasts through the decade!

Please those of the Left, tell us how we will maintain soc sec, medicare and obamacare, with any hope of (1) balancing a budget and (2) paying off debt!?  Even if they confiscated every dime of every American, it wouldnt do it.

So just, uhhh....raise the cap?

Any man can count the seeds in an apple....
.......but only God can count the apples in the seeds.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2012 - 5:36PM #9
Girlchristian

Apr 11, 2012 -- 5:10PM, MMarcoe wrote:

I agree that we can raise the cap if need be, but I want the option to divert some of what's mine to other investments. It wouldn't need to be the stock market, either.

I agree. We've been raising the cap since 2000 and if the only way the program is solvent is to just keep raising the cap then that's an issue and indicates that reform is needed. Not to mention, the solvency only exists if politicians don't 'borrow' from the money and we all know that won't happen.

Obama can't raise the cap anyway as he promised no tax increase on those making less than $250k and to raise the cap would mean a tax increase for anyone making more than the $106,800.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2012 - 5:48PM #10
teilhard

Yes ... Guys like Donald Trump don't NEED Social Security and MediCare ...

Apr 11, 2012 -- 5:34PM, TENAC wrote:

We have no such capacity to cover $36 trillion in outlays.  Solvency through 2037?! 

Geez, next thing you know the federal govt will give us weather forecasts through the decade!

Please those of the Left, tell us how we will maintain soc sec, medicare and obamacare, with any hope of (1) balancing a budget and (2) paying off debt!?  Even if they confiscated every dime of every American, it wouldnt do it.

So just, uhhh....raise the cap?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook