Switch to Forum Live View Pilar Rahola: Jews with Six Arms
2 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2012 - 6:28PM #1
rocketjsquirell
I just thought this was an interesting perspective on the media and Israel and European/Western attitudes towards Israel.  I think it could be the basis of a good discussion. I guess we will see.

Pilar Rahola Jews with Six Arms
February 08, 2010

This was from the Conference in the Global forum for Combating Antisemitism Spain.
Pilar Rahola is a Spanish politician, journalist and activist.

. . .
The first question, then, is why so many intelligent people, when talking about Israel, suddenly become idiots. The problem that those of us who do not demonize Israel, have, is that there exists no debate on the conflict. All that exists is the banner; there’s no exchange of ideas, we throw slogans at each other; we don’t have serious information, we suffer from the “burger journalism”, fast food, full of prejudices, propaganda and simplicity. Intellectual thinkers and International journalists have resigned in Israel. They don’t exist. That is why, when someone tries to go beyond “single thinking”, he becomes a suspect and unsolidary, and is immediately segregated. Why?

I’ve been trying to answer this question for years: why? Why, of all the World’s conflicts, only this one interests them? Why a tiny country which struggles to survive is criminalized? Why does the manipulated information triumph so easily? Why are all the people of Israel, reduced to a simple mass of murderous imperialists? Why is there no Palestinian guilt? Why is Arafat a hero and Sharon a monster? Finally, why when it is the only country in the World which is threatened with destruction, it is the only one that nobody considers a victim?

I don’t believe that there is a single answer to these questions. Just as it is impossible to completely explain the historical evil of antisemitism, it is also not possible to totally explain the present-day imbecility of anti-Israelism. Both drink from the fountain of intolerance and lie. If, also, we accept that anti-Israelism is the new form of antisemitism, we conclude that contingencies may have changed, but the deepest myths, both of the Medieval Christian antisemitism and of the modern political antisemitism, are still intact. Those myths are part of the chronicle of Israel.
. . .
Why, today a renewed intolerance surges with such virulence, centered now, not against the Jewish people, but against the Jewish state? From my point of view, this has historical and geopolitical motives, among others, the bloody Soviet role during decades, the European Anti Americanism, the West’s energy dependency and the growing Islamic phenomenon.

But it also emerges from a set of defeats which we suffer as free societies, leading to a strong ethical relativism.

The moral defeat of the left. For decades, the left raised the flag of freedom, wherever there was injustice. It was the depositary of the utopic hopes of society. It was the great builder of future. Despite the murderous evil of Stalinism’s sinking the utopias, the left has preserved intact its aura of struggle, and still pretends to point out the good and the evil in the world. Even those who would never vote for leftist options, grant great prestige to leftist intellectuals, and allow them to be the ones who monopolize the concept of solidarity. As they have always done. Thus, those who struggled against Pinochet were freedom-fighters, but Castro’s victims, are expelled from the heroes’ paradise, and converted into undercover fascists.
. . .
This historic treason to freedom, is reproduced nowadays, with mathematical precision. For example, the leaders of Hezbollah are considered resistance heroes, while pacifists like Noa, the singer, are insulted in the streets of Barcelona. Today too, as yesterday, that left is hawking totalitarian ideologies, falls in love with dictators and, in its offensive against Israel, ignores the destruction of fundamental rights. It hates rabbis, but falls in love with imams; shouts against the Tsahal, but applauds Hamas’ terrorists; weeps for the Palestinian victims, but scorns the Jewish victims, and when it is touched by Palestinian children, it does it only if it can blame the Israelis. It will never denounce the culture of hatred, or its preparation for murder.
. . .
Defeat of Journalism. We have, a more informed world than ever before, but we do not have a better informed world. Quite the contrary, the information superhighway connects us with anywhere in the planet, but it does not connect us with the truth.
. . .
Defeat of critical thinking. To all this, one must add the ethical relativism which defines the present times: it is based not on denying the values of civilization, but rather in their most extreme banalization.
. . .
Defeat of the United Nations. And with it, a sound defeat of the international organizations which should look after Human Rights. Instead they have become broken puppets in the hands of despots. The United Nations is only useful so that Islamofascists like Ahmadineyad, or dangerous demagogues like Hugo Chavez have a planetary loudspeaker where they can spit their hatred. And, of course, to systematically attack Israel.
. . .
Finally, defeat of Islam. The Islam of tolerance and culture suffers today the violent attack of a totalitarian virus which tries to stop its ethical development. This virus uses the name of God to perpetrate the most terrible horrors: lapidate women, enslave them, use youths as human bombs.
. . .
In the crossroads of these defeats, is Israel. Orphan of a reasonable left, orphan of serious journalism, orphan of a decent UN, and orphan of a tolerant Islam, Israel suffers the paradigm of the 21st Century: the lack of a solid commitment with the values of liberty. Nothing seems strange. Jewish culture represents, as no other does, the metaphor of a concept of civilization which suffers today attacks on all flanks. You are the thermometer of the world’s health. Whenever the World has had totalitarian fever, you have suffered. In the Spanish Middle Ages, in Christian persecutions, in Russian pogroms, in European Fascism, in Islamic fundamentalism. Always, the first enemy of totalitarianism has been the Jew. And, in these times of energy dependency and social uncertainty, Israel embodies, in its own flesh, the eternal Jew.
. . .
Benjamin Franklin said: “ Where liberty is, there is my country.” And Albert Einstein added: “The World is a dangerous place. Not because of the people who are evil; but because of the people who don’t do anything about it”. This is the double commitment, here and now; never remain inactive in front of evil in action and defend the countries of liberty.”

full article:
israelseen.com/2010/02/08/pilar-rahola-j...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2012 - 6:42PM #2
rangerken

Fascinating article, Rocket. I suspect you'll get some argument regarding this particular quote from it, which you used yourself...

Finally, defeat of Islam. The Islam of tolerance and culture suffers today the violent attack of a totalitarian virus which tries to stop its ethical development. This virus uses the name of God to perpetrate the most terrible horrors: lapidate women, enslave them, use youths as human bombs.

Now to all reading the above...the quote does not...NOT!!!!!...stand alone and needs to be read in the article's context!... But, it is something that should be discussed along with the other 'defeat' comments in the article.

In short, read the post and article before commenting! The article is NOT an ant-Islam screed. I'll reserve my own commnts for later in my regular member personna.

Rangerken, co-host

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2012 - 1:18AM #3
habesor

I think her point about the United Nationa is spot on. The UN has tried twice to set up a body dealing with human rights only to see it turned into an anti-Israel forum which ignores human rights violations in the rest of the world. In fact the UNHRC is dominated by the leading human rights violators on the planet. 

What is odd about this is that the UN as a whole has been corrupted just so Israel bashers can point to the number of anti-Israel resolutions adopted in the UNGA without realizing that the very exagerated number of those resolutions is testimony to the UN's downfall. 

Habesor

Habesor
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2012 - 10:03AM #4
Dostojevsky

Rocket, what's a point of giving us long article to read. I can do that at home.

It's ok to give us part of it, but if you thought it was good, tell us what's good about it - give us a short versin of it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2012 - 10:22AM #5
rocketjsquirell

Dos

An interesting and useful discussion requires some preparation and background. Soundbites do not lead to understanding.  Please read the entire article, and then we can discuss it. 

Thanks

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2012 - 10:36AM #6
LeahOne

Sometimes, Dos, an idea is too involved to capture in a 'sound bite'.....  and BTW, your post seemed an awful lot like 'I have no facts to contradict the material, so I'll  try for 'shooting the messenger' : ))

Hey, at least you didn't call her 'anti-Muslim'!!! 

Seriously, Dos - don't you prefer to read for yourself?  You know we don't all get the same thing from the same printed words.... and who wants to be spoonfed opinions, anyway?

Here's the Wiki blurb on Mz Rahola: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilar_Rahola  As you can read, she comes from a political - anti-Fascist - family and has been director of a publishing firm, a journalist covering war theaters, and a local and national politician.  She has 'been there' and 'done that' - and I believe she knows her stuff and that shows!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2012 - 10:47AM #7
LeahOne

What the author labels 'defeat', I would tend to call 'disintegration' or 'corruption' or 'degradation' or 'adulteration' - a loss of quality and departure from the original focus and intent.

I realize that the phrase 'defeat of Islam' would be rightly offensive to Muslims if not understood correctly as indicating the same sad phenomenon as 'hijacking of Islam' by the unIslamic individuals like Bin Laden and others who embrace violence to further what they view as the 'just cause' of their faith.  And which phenomenon is sadly not unique to Islam, nor to 'Abrahamic' faiths of Christianity and Judaism : (( 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2012 - 3:24PM #8
BDboy

Apr 11, 2012 -- 1:18AM, habesor wrote:

I think her point about the United Nationa is spot on. The UN has tried twice to set up a body dealing with human rights only to see it turned into an anti-Israel forum which ignores human rights violations in the rest of the world. In fact the UNHRC is dominated by the leading human rights violators on the planet. 

What is odd about this is that the UN as a whole has been corrupted just so Israel bashers can point to the number of anti-Israel resolutions adopted in the UNGA without realizing that the very exagerated number of those resolutions is testimony to the UN's downfall. 

Habesor

>>>>>>>> The point is Israel does and did violate human rights on a regular basis. It is part of Israeli policies and continuous expansion (land theft) and bombing in civilian areas etc are not exactly good policies.

While I agree that, UN has some member states who are not good example for rest of us but Israel or friends of Israel may not want to use that as an excuse to refuse to look at their own laws for a change.

I said plenty of time that, Israel is a much better country than how Iraq was under Saddam or Libya was under Ghadafi. But that is not exactly a standard Israel should brag about.

Israel has potential to be a "Model state". However religious fanatics are taking the country to wrong direction which may bring real bad news for Israel in the long run.

Israeli policies should be supportive of long term survival of the state of Israel. Sometime the way Israeli leaders talk, it feels like they are just living for that day. They should realize Israel has to stay in the neighborhood and fighting with all neighbors constantly (And attacking their religions) is not exactly smart.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2012 - 8:29PM #9
LeahOne

Apr 11, 2012 -- 3:24PM, BDboy wrote:

Apr 11, 2012 -- 1:18AM, habesor wrote:

Habesor

>>>>>>>> The point is Israel does and did violate human rights on a regular basis.

Not even as much or as 'regularly' as many of teh nations which constantly accuse Israel. 

e It is part of Israeli policies

Only as grossly misrepresented by distorting 'media'. 

and continuous expansion (land theft)

Basically  a lie.

and bombing in civilian areas

Complete and total distortion and lie.

etc are not exactly good policies.

Considering the amount of distortion and outright lying I've encountered so far  - I just left off the rest of the 'reply' because it had nothing worth reading IMO.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook