Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What The Hell Is Happening In Michigan?
2 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 4:45PM #1
TPaine

"In a nutshell, the story is that the Michigan Constitution requires that bills wait until the end of the session -- essentially, the end of the calendar year -- plus 90 days before becoming law. You can, however, put a bill into effect immediately, provided you have a two-thirds majority in both chambers. Republicans have that super-majority in the Senate, but not in the House. Yet they appear to have given nearly every bill since they took over in January 2010 immediate effect.

Michigan Democrats have begun using their numbers to demand a record roll call vote, as a means of trying to make Republicans prove they have the super-majorities they claim to have. They say Republicans are denying them roll call votes, and last week,  they sued the House (and specifically Republican House leadership) over it. On Monday, a county judge ruled for the Democrats. Issuing a temporary injunction, he ordered the House leadership to grant the roll call votes; he also put on hold several recent bills passed improperly."

What ever happened to representative democracy? Are the Republicans going to make the Horst-Wessel-Lied the state song of Michigan? Link

editing only changed text color. RK

Moderated by rangerken on Apr 07, 2012 - 05:38PM
"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 4:48PM #2
mainecaptain

I heard about what is going on in Michigan and it really scares me. They are a case study in dissembling a democracy. It is turning into a  dictatorship. Is that the direction the country is going. Republicans are turning the USA into a dictatorship.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 5:04PM #3
farragut

I have confidence in the courts to straighten this out.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 9:46PM #4
mainecaptain

going by the lack of interest. I can see why Michigan is being run like a dictatorship rather then a state  in the United States.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 9:47PM #5
mainecaptain

Apr 7, 2012 -- 5:04PM, farragut wrote:

you have more faith then I do.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 9:56PM #6
mountain_man

Apr 7, 2012 -- 4:45PM, TPaine wrote:

...What ever happened to representative democracy?

Republicans don't like democracy of any kind. Just look at all their attempts to prevent voting of any kind; they consistently filibuster anything they don't like in Congress, they are constantly trying to make it hard for people to vote with their fake voter ID laws, they purge the voting rolls of anyone that has the same name as a felon in another state, they send out post cards or use robo-calls to tell people that "Republicans vote on Tuesday and Democrats vote on Wednesday, they send out cards with the wrong polling places or dates, and all kinds of other nasty tricks specifically designed to thwart democracy.

Republicans don't want representative democracy, or any kind of democracy. All they want is power and money.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 9:59PM #7
mountain_man

Apr 7, 2012 -- 5:04PM, farragut wrote:

They sure will.... the courts packed with good Republican judges that have no trouble legislating from the bench will straighten out those pesky, communistic, Marxist, Democrats.

(that was sarcasm)

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 10:05PM #8
farragut

I never would have guessed.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 10:24PM #9
jane2

Apr 7, 2012 -- 9:56PM, mountain_man wrote:

Apr 7, 2012 -- 4:45PM, TPaine wrote:

...What ever happened to representative democracy?

Republicans don't like democracy of any kind. Just look at all their attempts to prevent voting of any kind; they consistently filibuster anything they don't like in Congress, they are constantly trying to make it hard for people to vote with their fake voter ID laws, they purge the voting rolls of anyone that has the same name as a felon in another state, they send out post cards or use robo-calls to tell people that "Republicans vote on Tuesday and Democrats vote on Wednesday, they send out cards with the wrong polling places or dates, and all kinds of other nasty tricks specifically designed to thwart democracy.

Republicans don't want representative democracy, or any kind of democracy. All they want is power and money.

I tend to agree.....................

And I do wonder why anyone who is not a billionaire votes for them...............

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 12:27AM #10
mountain_man

Apr 7, 2012 -- 10:24PM, jane2 wrote:

....And I do wonder why anyone who is not a billionaire votes for them.......

I can't understand why any sane person would vote for any of them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook