Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

 
Pause Switch to Standard View What The Hell Is Happening In Michigan?
Show More
Loading...
Flag TPaine April 7, 2012 4:45 PM EDT

"In a nutshell, the story is that the Michigan Constitution requires that bills wait until the end of the session -- essentially, the end of the calendar year -- plus 90 days before becoming law. You can, however, put a bill into effect immediately, provided you have a two-thirds majority in both chambers. Republicans have that super-majority in the Senate, but not in the House. Yet they appear to have given nearly every bill since they took over in January 2010 immediate effect.

Michigan Democrats have begun using their numbers to demand a record roll call vote, as a means of trying to make Republicans prove they have the super-majorities they claim to have. They say Republicans are denying them roll call votes, and last week,  they sued the House (and specifically Republican House leadership) over it. On Monday, a county judge ruled for the Democrats. Issuing a temporary injunction, he ordered the House leadership to grant the roll call votes; he also put on hold several recent bills passed improperly."

What ever happened to representative democracy? Are the Republicans going to make the Horst-Wessel-Lied the state song of Michigan? Link


editing only changed text color. RK

Flag mainecaptain April 7, 2012 4:48 PM EDT

I heard about what is going on in Michigan and it really scares me. They are a case study in dissembling a democracy. It is turning into a  dictatorship. Is that the direction the country is going. Republicans are turning the USA into a dictatorship.

Flag farragut April 7, 2012 5:04 PM EDT

I have confidence in the courts to straighten this out.

Flag mainecaptain April 7, 2012 9:46 PM EDT

going by the lack of interest. I can see why Michigan is being run like a dictatorship rather then a state  in the United States.

Flag mainecaptain April 7, 2012 9:47 PM EDT

Apr 7, 2012 -- 5:04PM, farragut wrote:


I have confidence in the courts to straighten this out.




you have more faith then I do.

Flag mountain_man April 7, 2012 9:56 PM EDT

Apr 7, 2012 -- 4:45PM, TPaine wrote:

...What ever happened to representative democracy?


Republicans don't like democracy of any kind. Just look at all their attempts to prevent voting of any kind; they consistently filibuster anything they don't like in Congress, they are constantly trying to make it hard for people to vote with their fake voter ID laws, they purge the voting rolls of anyone that has the same name as a felon in another state, they send out post cards or use robo-calls to tell people that "Republicans vote on Tuesday and Democrats vote on Wednesday, they send out cards with the wrong polling places or dates, and all kinds of other nasty tricks specifically designed to thwart democracy.


Republicans don't want representative democracy, or any kind of democracy. All they want is power and money.

Flag mountain_man April 7, 2012 9:59 PM EDT

Apr 7, 2012 -- 5:04PM, farragut wrote:

I have confidence in the courts to straighten this out.


They sure will.... the courts packed with good Republican judges that have no trouble legislating from the bench will straighten out those pesky, communistic, Marxist, Democrats.



(that was sarcasm)

Flag farragut April 7, 2012 10:05 PM EDT

I never would have guessed.

Flag jane2 April 7, 2012 10:24 PM EDT

Apr 7, 2012 -- 9:56PM, mountain_man wrote:


Apr 7, 2012 -- 4:45PM, TPaine wrote:

...What ever happened to representative democracy?


Republicans don't like democracy of any kind. Just look at all their attempts to prevent voting of any kind; they consistently filibuster anything they don't like in Congress, they are constantly trying to make it hard for people to vote with their fake voter ID laws, they purge the voting rolls of anyone that has the same name as a felon in another state, they send out post cards or use robo-calls to tell people that "Republicans vote on Tuesday and Democrats vote on Wednesday, they send out cards with the wrong polling places or dates, and all kinds of other nasty tricks specifically designed to thwart democracy.


Republicans don't want representative democracy, or any kind of democracy. All they want is power and money.




I tend to agree.....................


And I do wonder why anyone who is not a billionaire votes for them...............


 




 

Flag mountain_man April 8, 2012 12:27 AM EDT

Apr 7, 2012 -- 10:24PM, jane2 wrote:

....And I do wonder why anyone who is not a billionaire votes for them.......


I can't understand why any sane person would vote for any of them.

Flag mainecaptain April 8, 2012 4:58 PM EDT

Apr 8, 2012 -- 12:27AM, mountain_man wrote:


Apr 7, 2012 -- 10:24PM, jane2 wrote:

....And I do wonder why anyone who is not a billionaire votes for them.......


I can't understand why any sane person would vote for any of them.




I can not undersatnd why any SANE person would either.

Flag jane2 April 8, 2012 5:55 PM EDT

Apr 8, 2012 -- 4:58PM, mainecaptain wrote:


Apr 8, 2012 -- 12:27AM, mountain_man wrote:


Apr 7, 2012 -- 10:24PM, jane2 wrote:

....And I do wonder why anyone who is not a billionaire votes for them.......


I can't understand why any sane person would vote for any of them.




I can not undersatnd why any SANE person would either.




Not all those with great wealth are misanthropes, but many are.




 

Flag mainecaptain April 8, 2012 6:04 PM EDT

Apr 8, 2012 -- 5:55PM, jane2 wrote:


Apr 8, 2012 -- 4:58PM, mainecaptain wrote:


Apr 8, 2012 -- 12:27AM, mountain_man wrote:


Apr 7, 2012 -- 10:24PM, jane2 wrote:

....And I do wonder why anyone who is not a billionaire votes for them.......


I can't understand why any sane person would vote for any of them.




I can not undersatnd why any SANE person would either.




Not all those with great wealth are misanthropes, but many are.




 



I agree. But what concerns me is how many everyday people, not rich, think in this selfish way. And do not think tey will be hurt by what is going on. By the time they realise how hurt they themselves will be it will be too late.


I really believe right wingers of all socio-economic backgrounds,  only vote their hate. Rarely voting what is best for everyone.  Obviously not all of them, but too many of them.

Flag mountain_man April 8, 2012 7:03 PM EDT

Apr 8, 2012 -- 6:04PM, mainecaptain wrote:

I agree. But what concerns me is how many everyday people, not rich, think in this selfish way. And do not think they will be hurt by what is going on. By the time they realize how hurt they themselves will be it will be too late.


They're only doing what they believe they must do to remain part of the herd they selected. All their thoughts are being framed by those heading the Right Wing. They listen to Regressive propaganda on a daily basis and after awhile begin to unquestioningly believe. It's a mindset, a brain washing, that many just cannot break from.


I really believe right wingers of all socioeconomic backgrounds,  only vote their hate. Rarely voting what is best for everyone.  Obviously not all of them, but too many of them.


You have to go back to the philosophy behind the current Regressive leaders; Ayn Rand and Individualism. She did not believe in a "social contract" but in individuals. To her, and her followers, there is no society, but a collection of individuals and that each individual must seek what is best for them. Of course it's an absurd philosophy, but you can see it in everything the Republicans do.


A quote: An individualist is a man who says: “I will not run anyone’s life—nor let anyone run mine. I will not rule nor be ruled. I will not be a master nor a slave. I will not sacrifice myself to anyone—nor sacrifice anyone to myself.”

Flag jane2 April 8, 2012 7:11 PM EDT

Apr 8, 2012 -- 6:04PM, mainecaptain wrote:


Apr 8, 2012 -- 5:55PM, jane2 wrote:


Apr 8, 2012 -- 4:58PM, mainecaptain wrote:


Apr 8, 2012 -- 12:27AM, mountain_man wrote:


Apr 7, 2012 -- 10:24PM, jane2 wrote:

....And I do wonder why anyone who is not a billionaire votes for them.......


I can't understand why any sane person would vote for any of them.




I can not undersatnd why any SANE person would either.




Not all those with great wealth are misanthropes, but many are.




 



I agree. But what concerns me is how many everyday people, not rich, think in this selfish way. And do not think tey will be hurt by what is going on. By the time they realise how hurt they themselves will be it will be too late.


I really believe right wingers of all socio-economic backgrounds,  only vote their hate. Rarely voting what is best for everyone.  Obviously not all of them, but too many of them.




I'm on the same page as you, mc. Many also vote age-old pipe dreams handed down. I see it all around me where I live. A good friend, very conservative,  is 65, on Social Security and drives a school bus to make ends meet. I'm a proponent of reasonable social programs and I've been fully retired since I was 60--12 years ago.




 

Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook